New ham

lancecolonel

NES Member
Got my call sign a little over a week ago. Today I discover a message on my home answering machine that is from a man in my town claiming to have traffic for me from someone in the Midwest. I have not been on the air yet and have no idea who any of the named parties are. This ever happen to anyone else? Is this the ham version of telemarketing? I have not returned the local man’s call yet. What say you pros?
ETA: the guy did leave his call sign and the info matches his personal details he left on my voicemail (I do know this is all easily searchable).

Last edited:
Got my call sign a little over a week ago. Today I discover a message on my home answering machine that is from a man in my town claiming to have traffic for me from someone in the Midwest. I have not been on the air yet and have no idea who any of the named parties are. This ever happen to anyone else? Is this the ham version of telemarketing? I have not returned the local man’s call yet. What say you pros?
ETA: the guy did leave his call sign and the info matches his personal details he left on my voicemail (I do know this is all easily searchable).
I got a telegram when I was first licensed. I didn't even know those still existed. I think it's just something nice that people do for new hams.

The ARRL usually sends out a congratulation message through the National Traffic System. It usually says something like congratulations on your new callsign or something to that effect call the guy back and he will read it to you.

I've received radio telegrams myself. My first one the same way because I wasn't on the radio. But to get a message it's possible to get one on a local repeater from a local net.

Congratulations on your license. You may get a few more of these they are a welcome to the ham community

Back
Top Bottom