• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Hampshire non resident long gun purchase?

Only if you own a home (not mere land with a tent on it) and reside their occasionally.

However in any case you could buy a lower here and build up whatever you want in NH, keeping it there even if all you had was a tent on the property.

I have heard that it is possible for "non-residents" to claim dual residency and purchase firearms in NH legally under both state and federal laws if they meet certain specific requirements. I'm sure others will chime in here with more details. But I have been told by FFLs that if you own a vacation home in NH and produce tax and utility bills to substantiate that fact you are eligible to purchase a firearm in NH even if your official residence is in another state. I'm not clear how that determination is made but believe it may involve submitting the documentation to the AG for approval through the FFL. An interesting quirk in NH handgun purchase/transfer procedures when using an FFL is that the NICS check gets done through the NHSP and not directly with the FBI.

Note that you can purchase "Mass compliant" shotguns and rifles in NH as long a you have a valid Mass issued FID Card and successfully pass the required NICS background check.

Last edited:
Only if you own a home (not mere land with a tent on it) and reside their occasionally.

However in any case you could buy a lower here and build up whatever you want in NH, keeping it there even if all you had was a tent on the property.

Yup, it's a real home, central air and all. [grin] Plan to use it mostly in winter to ski on weekends but will be using it in the summer as well.

Great idea about the lower. I was thinking AR10 since I was hoping to use it for hunting some day so that will be a fun challenge.

Last edited:
I have heard that it is possible for "non-residents" to claim dual residency and purchase firearms in NH legally under both state and federal laws if they meet certain specific requirements. I'm sure others will chime in here with more details. But I have been told by FFLs that if you own a vacation home in NH and produce tax and utility bills to substantiate that fact you are eligible to purchase a firearm in NH even if your official residence is in another state. I'm not clear how that determination is made but believe it may involve submitting the documentation to the AG for approval through the FFL. An interesting quirk in NH handgun purchase/transfer procedures when using an FFL is that the NICS check gets done through the NHSP and not directly with the FBI.

Note that you can purchase "Mass compliant" shotguns and rifles in NH as long a you have a valid Mass issued FID Card and successfully pass the required NICS background check.

I don't know where you came up with the AG nonsense, but the AG in MA or NH has NOTHING to do with it. It is simply Federal Law that applies here.

Also FIDs don't do much for most "Mass compliant" shotguns or rifles since only low-capacity long guns can be possessed with an FID. LTC is the most appropriate "tool" here.

ETA: For those in doubt, download a copy of the 4473 from atf.gov and read the directions (that we never look at when filling out) and it explains in detail how this is done legally (as Mr. Brownstone briefly pointed out above).

No applicable New Hampshire laws here, just Federal (and perhaps MA)

There aren't any applicable New Hampshire laws, leaving the primary issue as Federal law.

You may have some difficulty finding a FFL who is willing to complete a legal sale to a "dual resident" when you can only produce tax and utility bills to substantiate your claim of residency.

Since I am about to own property in NH, can I purchase an evil gun over there and leave it in my NH house? (And yes, eventually NH residency is planned, however not for a few years or so).
Assuming you have an AR-class lower purchased in MA, take Len-2A Training's advice and locate a non-MA-complaint upper you like and buy it in NH, or have it shipped to NH. Same goes for standard capacity magazines.

Or maybe pick up some 80% lowers and build an AR pistol?

Last edited:
You may have some difficulty finding a FFL who is willing to complete a legal sale to a "dual resident" when you can only produce tax and utility bills to substantiate your claim of residency.

It shouldn't be that hard. Also, the 4473 has the requirements right on it.
Question 18.a. Identification: Before a licensee may sell or deliver a firearm to a nonlicensee, the licensee must establish the identity, place of residence, and age of the transferee/buyer. The transferee/buyer must provide a valid government- issued photo identification document to the transferor/seller that contains the transferee's/buyer's name, residence address, and date of birth. A driver's license or an identification card issued by a State in place of a license is acceptable. Social Security cards are not acceptable because no address, date of birth, or photograph is shown on the cards. A combination of government-issued documents may be provided. See instructions for question 18.b. Supplemental Documentation.

If the transferee/buyer is a member of the Armed Forces on active duty acquiring a firearm in the State where his/her permanent duty station is located, but he/she has a driver's license from another State, the transferor/seller should list the transferee's/buyer's military identification card and official orders showing where his/her permanent duty station is located in response to question 18.a. Licensees may accept electronic PCS orders to establish residency.

Question 18.b. Supplemental Documentation: Licensees may accept a combination of valid government-issued documents to satisfy the identification document requirements of the law. The required valid government-issued photo identification document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of transferee/buyer may be supplemented by another valid, government-issued document showing the transferee's/buyer's residence address. This supplemental documentation should be recorded in question 18.b., with the issuing authority and type of identification presented. For example, if the transferee/buyer has two States of residence and is trying to buy a handgun in State X, he may provide a driver's license (showing his name, date of birth, and photograph) issued by State Y and another government-issued document (such as a tax document) from State X showing his residence address. A valid electronic document from a government website may be used as supplemental documentation provided it contains the transferee's/buyer's name and current residence address.

Since I am about to own property in NH, can I purchase an evil gun over there and leave it in my NH house?

(And yes, eventually NH residency is planned, however not for a few years or so).

If you have a tax bill for your place in NH it is actually very simple to purchase as a nh resident. Shoot me a pm if you would like the name of a store that will accommodate you without any problems.

Long arm, legal here and there, buy there, keep there, no efa10, yes 4473
Any arm, legal here and there, buy here, keep there, yes efa10, yes 4473
Any arm, legal here and there, build here, keep there, yes efa10, no 4473
Any arm, illegal here, legal there, build there, keep there, no efa10, no 4473
Any arm, illegal here, legal there and dual res, buy there, keep there, no efa10, yes 4473

Back
Top Bottom