New Information will be requested by the FCC for Ham licensing

JDL

NES Member
This is what the FCC sent to the VECs earlier today

We are providing notification that the form 605 will be changing on approximately August 3, 2017. The Commission is adding a basic qualifications section to the form which includes a question regarding whether an applicant has been convicted of a felony in any state or federal court. Applicants, answering yes must provide an explanation. This item enables the FCC to determine whether an Applicant is eligible under §§ 310(d) and 308(b) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, to hold or have ownership interest in a station license. This change makes the 605 consistent with other Commission licensing forms.

VEC Batch File Update:

There will be an additional field position 37 (Felony Question) added to the end of the existing file making the overall file length 37 fields.

For all NE, AM, MD and RM a Y or N will be required in this position.

If the answer is Y, a Y in position 25 is required.

Applicants responding yes to felony question must provide an explanation, which they can submit via e-mail to [email protected] or via postal mail at: 1270 Fairfield Rd. Gettysburg, PA 17325-7245.

The applicant may request that the explanation be treated as confidential. In order to seek confidential treatment, the applicant must include a separate request that the material not be made available for public inspection. The request must contain a statement of the reasons for the request, and identify the portion(s) of the response for which confidential treatment is requested. It is not sufficient to simply mark a document as “Confidential.” If the applicant does not request confidential treatment, the response will be publicly viewable in ULS.

What does this have to do with hams?
Doesn't seem like it should apply to hams, but federal regulatory agencies try this sort of regulatory creep all the time. Read enough ATF letters and you'll watch the regulation grow more onerous with 0 law change

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

This definitely reads like regulation creep.
§ 308 says nothing about criminal convictions, as near as I can tell. This smells like they're slinking in on the "character" qualification.

This was due to happen.

Attempt to get any federal or state "privilege" and they want your SSN and will do a BG check on you. Denial due to felony convictions, child support unpaid, fines/tickets unpaid, etc. are pretty SOP.

"Suitability" involves all sorts of fuzzy stuff.

Wow that seems kind of weird. Is there a problem with convicted felons using ham radio frequencies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was due to happen.

Attempt to get any federal or state "privilege" and they want your SSN and will do a BG check on you. Denial due to felony convictions, child support unpaid, fines/tickets unpaid, etc. are pretty SOP.

"Suitability" involves all sorts of fuzzy stuff.

The rumor was back in the day that the FCC needed your SSN and other info so they would run a limited background check against you to see if you were on some kind of deadbeat dad list and things like that, and possibly against the .gov list of undesirables (eg, people who had rescinded their US citizenship, etc. ) I don't know how this is fleshed out in US code
though. I know the BG check if it exists, is not very deep, because I knew a couple people with old rap sheets thatcan't buy guns but they have ham licenses.

-Mike

I remember reading a Tom Clancy novel (or maybe it was W.E.B. Griffin) where the bad guys used cell phones instead of radios, not knowing that SOP was for the Feds to shut down the local Cell network.

Maybe they think the terrorists won't blow shit up if they can't get a Ham license to use a $39 Baofeng to coordinate their activities.

I remember reading a Tom Clancy novel (or maybe it was W.E.B. Griffin) where the bad guys used cell phones instead of radios, not knowing that SOP was for the Feds to shut down the local Cell network.

Maybe they think the terrorists won't blow shit up if they can't get a Ham license to use a $39 Baofeng to coordinate their activities.

If the Internet is working, they use playstations and Xboxes to communicate IRL

Nah I mainly just listen. I bought 2 of those handhelds for SHTF comms when they were on sale.

I was studying for the test, but then decided the last thing I need is to be on another government list.

Heh...if you bought it for SHTF scenarios, then I am assuming you are talking WOROL conditions. At that point, the last thing you'll worry about or the FCC will worry about is who has and doesn't have a license.

Get your license, practice with the radio so that IF the SHTF, you will at least know the ins and outs and limitations of your gear.

I started out going to a local prep group and they strongly urged everyone to get licensed so we could practice comms. The point was made that if you don't know what your radio's capabilities are, your radio may very well be useless when you really need it.

For example, I learned that on simplex, a have dead spots to my north west and west...but all other areas, I can reach 50+ miles (with my base station) or about 5 miles with my HT. Knowing that will help me figure out if I need to go somewhere to call out for help or contact others to pass messages.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that was from Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom