• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Member from MA

Bastiat

NES Member
Hello all, I am new to this site. I just found it this past November. I am interested in learning, training, and ultimately applying for my LTC. I lurked around here for the last two months, and now have decided to become a member, to pay my dues for this platform which I have found to be a great resource.

Since then, I signed up for and completed a MA Firearms Safety Course in December and received that obligatory certificate. We did some live shooting after the course. I found the training staff to be capable and professional. I am planning to continue more training before I actually apply, so I signed up for additional training courses.

I am looking forward to more training because it is important any way you look at it, and also because I want to increase my chances of getting an unrestricted license. I live in a super Red town. I have heard that additional training may help in their consideration.

We’ll see. Based on what I have heard and read about this town, I have some doubts.

In my early teens, my father, a military veteran, taught me to shoot and I have learned long ago at a young age to respect firearms. Now, I finally want to exercise my 2A right, to protect my family--my wife and small children--and I want to train and to share that respect for firearms to my children that my father shared with me.

I am happy to have found this site and the resources available.

Welcome. Can you move before applying? Get yourself to a green town. The restriction is going to suck since it's not just your home town but all of Massachusetts.

Welcome. Can you move before applying? Get yourself to a green town. The restriction is going to suck since it's not just your home town but all of Massachusetts.
Thanks. One of my buddies actually suggested the same thing. I have seriously considered moving first before applying. We were planning on a move anyhow this year (perhaps NH or Western MA), but we haven't decided yet.

I think I'll just keep training and just wait for the move. Nothing wrong with getting better anyhow. It's a bummer, but it is what it is I guess.

If you can move to NH you'll be so much better off than staying in MA. Regardless, welcome and enjoy the madness.

Thank you, GaryO. Happy to be here! It's looking increasingly like NH may indeed be where we land.

My wife reminds me, however, that so many MA natives have moved to NH, and that they have brought their political philosophies with them. NH-south has become a bit of a MA-north I'm told. We are wondering just exactly how far north we ought to go in order to be among the more reasonable folk.

Overall, it seems there are a lot of nice places so we have some research to do this year.

I got my LTC at a time when my town was very red, but even then they told me they'd lift restrictions after the first year if I asked. Does your town do this?

If so, I'd apply sooner rather than later. You have no idea how long they'll drag their feet once you apply, nor what the gun ownership landscape will look like by then. I know it sucks getting a restriction (firsthand!), but if you can get it lifted after a year, then I'd say a year spent with a restricted LTC beats a year spent with no LTC.

If there's no meaningful prospect of getting it lifted, I'd move. Sooner rather than later. It's never easy being a gun owner in MA, but it's probably going to get worse before it gets better. Don't wait.

I got my LTC at a time when my town was very red, but even then they told me they'd lift restrictions after the first year if I asked. Does your town do this?

If so, I'd apply sooner rather than later. You have no idea how long they'll drag their feet once you apply, nor what the gun ownership landscape will look like by then. I know it sucks getting a restriction (firsthand!), but if you can get it lifted after a year, then I'd say a year spent with a restricted LTC beats a year spent with no LTC.

If there's no meaningful prospect of getting it lifted, I'd move. Sooner rather than later. It's never easy being a gun owner in MA, but it's probably going to get worse before it gets better. Don't wait.

I did hear someone say that I might ask to lift a restriction. (I think I may have even read it here on NES when I found this site and started reading voraciously) I am really skeptical about my town, however. Everything I have come across indicates that they typically only issue target/shooting or hunting for 1st timers, and then let folks wait the 6 years. I guess it's worth an inquiry at the actual PD. Thanks for this advice. It couldn't hurt to ask.

Folks have been telling me to apply sooner than later. My instructors have also said this. When I mentioned the ultra Red town I live in, they said to apply anyway. The general consensus, here and with my instructors and buddies, seems to agree with your advice: apply sooner than later; we never know what changes are due to come down the pike.

I will hope for the best, but prepare for the worst, and go get ready to apply and ask. I'll keep y'all posted here.

Thanks again for the good information. Much obliged.

Welcome and buy a Glock [smile]
Thanks. Happy to be on board.

Actually, when our instructors asked some of us what we had in mind for choices, I replied that I was looking at a Glock.
He informed me that they were restricted in MA. I was bummed.
Then he said that I could buy one in a private sale. I found that hard to believe at first, and I said to him that it didn't make sense.
He replied, "Welcome to Massachusetts."

Thanks. Happy to be on board.

Actually, when our instructors asked some of us what we had in mind for choices, I replied that I was looking at a Glock.
He informed me that they were restricted in MA. I was bummed.
Then he said that I could buy one in a private sale. I found that hard to believe at first, and I said to him that it didn't make sense.
He replied, "Welcome to Massachusetts."

plenty of threads on this already... there is roster of approved firearms. This applies to what FFLs sell, not what is legal to purchase in private sale. As a result, if you want a Glock, be prepared to pay MA prices of 1.5x to 2x, plus a premium for pre-ban magazines.

I’ll echo other’s comments... move early, or apply now if that’s not feasible. Keep records of all trainings completed, and when you move and/or a year lapses in your current town, ask to have your restrictions lifted and include copies of your training certificates to demonstrate the steps you’ve taken to be safe with your firearm.

Welcome to NES [wave]

Welcome! The gun related threads are all a snoozefest. Keep an eye on the off topic threads though!

plenty of threads on this already... there is roster of approved firearms. This applies to what FFLs sell, not what is legal to purchase in private sale. As a result, if you want a Glock, be prepared to pay MA prices of 1.5x to 2x, plus a premium for pre-ban magazines.

I’ll echo other’s comments... move early, or apply now if that’s not feasible. Keep records of all trainings completed, and when you move and/or a year lapses in your current town, ask to have your restrictions lifted and include copies of your training certificates to demonstrate the steps you’ve taken to be safe with your firearm.

Welcome to NES [wave]
Thanks.Glad to be here, finally.
I've already learned a lot about the process, and wish we could move already. I am discovering how much I dislike the idea of being saddled with a restriction based solely on the town I that live in and/or the arbitrary whims of that town's police chief.

It makes no sense to have 351 potentially separate standards for the 2nd Amendment, as we have here in Massachusetts, when i can go to a state like NH and have a common, reliable standard.

Not to mention the fact that I've come to find out that I, and three other citizens, are expected to write letters to whomever is the chief about why I deserve the right to protect my family.

I have great references. I wasn't expecting there to be an essay contest to prove it.

Solid advice. Will do. All of my documents and certificates will be updated and accounted for, and I will continue training and learning.

I am on the fence about the Glock now. Not simply because of costs or restrictions, but because since perusing the available sidearms of the day there are so many others i have my eye on now.

Thanks for sharing with me your help and wisdom. Much obliged.

Welcome! The gun related threads are all a snoozefest. Keep an eye on the off topic threads though!
I just found out how much more this place has to offer. I spent a better part of my Sunday afternoon falling down rabbit holes and had a few laughs. To be fair, there are definitely some useful things to learn here. Thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom