New Member With a Few Questions Regarding Traveling Through MA.

Hello to all....new from Connecticut and seeking some information regarding traveling thru MA from CT. to Vermont with a firearm.

I am Aware of FOPA but have no intention of testing that with the MA State Police if by chance I happen to get stopped on the way thru.

I have my CCW for CT. but do not have a temporary permit for a handgun in MA so I guess the hand gun has to stay at home.

So...my next recourse is to bring my 870 12ga. but, it has an extended magazine tube allowing a total of 7 shells to be loaded. The way I have read the MA laws it states no shotguns with a capacity of more than 5 shells.

Is this correct?

Also...if it is OK, can I just leave it in a soft case locked in the trunk? Where should ammo...any caliber ammo be kept? I will be shooting at a friends place in Vermont who has various weapons but I want to bring a bunch of other caliber ammo to shoot in his guns.

Thanx people for your expert advice. .

Hello to all....new from Connecticut and seeking some information regarding traveling thru MA from CT. to Vermont with a firearm.

I am Aware of FOPA but have no intention of testing that with the MA State Police if by chance I happen to get stopped on the way thru.

I have my CCW for CT. but do not have a temporary permit for a handgun in MA so I guess the hand gun has to stay at home.

So...my next recourse is to bring my 870 12ga. but, it has an extended magazine tube allowing a total of 7 shells to be loaded. The way I have read the MA laws it states no shotguns with a capacity of more than 5 shells.

Is this correct?

Also...if it is OK, can I just leave it in a soft case locked in the trunk? Where should ammo...any caliber ammo be kept? I will be shooting at a friends place in Vermont who has various weapons but I want to bring a bunch of other caliber ammo to shoot in his guns.

Thanx people for your expert advice. .

The magazine capacity issue you spoke of is really only a problem concerning what kind of license you need to posses it in MA if the gun is semi auto. In your scenario it's is a non issue. Keeping the gun unloaded and locked in the trunk or a locked container is the way to go. It's not actually necessary under MA law but would be for FOPA. I'd buy ammo in VT since you can't possess it in MA without a license and I'm not sure if FOPA would cover you on ammo. Maybe others could comment there. FOPA covers handguns also btw so that isn't an issue either. MA doesn't have any requirement to inform an officer so if you are stopped certainly don't inform or consent to a search.

Last edited:
See http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/travelinfo.html

Lock all weapons (both handguns and long guns) in cases. Lock cases in trunk.

Lock all ammo in cases. Lock cases in trunk.

Fuel up before entering MA. Drive the speed limit. Don't do anything to get stopped by any LEO.

FOPA doesn't keep you from getting arrested, it just provides you with a defense after arrest.

I didn't read anything about NOT being able to travel thru with ammo. The only reference I saw concerned not being able to purchase it in MA.

Can anyone give me a ruling on traveling thru with ammo? I have a CCW for CT.

You say in your OP that you have no intention of testing FOPA. As an out-of-stater with no MA LTC, you need to follow FOPA or you are breaking the law without any protection. MA law doesn't have good exceptions for travelling through the state. You might as well bring your handgun, because locked in a case in accordance with FOPA it is just as safe as a shotgun. In MA, you need to be licensed to possess a rifle, a shotgun, a handgun, and even ammunition. Since you have no MA license, while in MA everything needs to be kept under lock and key, with no stops longer than necessary to abide by FOPA. Welcome to deep blue.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't read anything about NOT being able to travel thru with ammo. The only reference I saw concerned not being able to purchase it in MA.

Can anyone give me a ruling on traveling thru with ammo? I have a CCW for CT.
Your CCW in CT is meaningless in MA. Also, possessing ammunition without a MA license in MA is a crime. Yes, our laws suck.

Let me ask another stupid question.

If I purchase a high cap AR mag in Vermont will I be in trouble once I enter MA on my way back to CT even without any firearm?

Well...I found this link on the MA State Police Website:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129c

"Section 129C. No person, other than a licensed dealer or one who has been issued a license to carry a pistol or revolver or an exempt person as hereinafter described, shall own or possess any firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition unless he has been issued a firearm identification card by the licensing authority pursuant to the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine B."

"The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:"

"(h) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresidents traveling in or through the commonwealth, providing that any rifles or shotguns are unloaded and enclosed in a case;"

I read this as rifles, shotguns and ammo are legal to transport through unloaded and in a case.

Last edited:
A bit of interesting information. I called the State Police barracks in Northhampton, MA and spoke with the desk Sgt. about transporting a handgun thru the state. He put me on hold so that he could go ask a superior the question. He comes back and tells me that it would be fine as long as it is stored in the trunk and in a locked case. Of course unloaded. Basically the FOPA laws would apply. He then gave me his name in case I had any trouble.

The shotgun with the extended magazine tube is fine locked in the trunk unloaded and separate from any ammo. I can also transport other caliber ammo as well.

I don't think I will try my luck with my hand gun despite what the Sgt. told me, but just take my shotgun and ammo. My friend has plenty of other weapons.

Oh...he did say not to store the cocaine near the shotgun but to put that in the glove compartment.

A cop with a sense of humor.[shocked]

Last edited:
I don't know the rules in CT, but during a traffic stop in MA you aren't required to notify an officer that you have a firearm. So if you do get pulled over for whatever reason, don't offer it up.

No....I will not offer that information but certainly wont lie if asked.

In CT. also we are not required to offer that information.

Just have to make sure he/she doesn't get a glimps of my CT LTC when I open my wallet. I may just put that somewhere else in my wallet.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom