• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New mobile rig

Progress! I stripped out the front console, also replacing the car stereo at the same time. The rolling covers for the compartments in the superconsole will work great to cover up the handsets and since nothing protrudes into the center column from the superconsole, there's great room for cable management and such. It's going to be a really clean setup after a bunch of work, so I'm prob gonna hang on to this van for a while.

The one downside is that I also wanted to stick a big CB radio (78LTW) in somewhere to look cool, but there's just no space to put in somewhere that won't distract the driver.

Xph97vIr.jpg

nx6MWC3r.jpg

It is looking like this will be a very nice installation. I had to look up what a 78LTW was though. I know a guy that has made some YouTube video on his mobile installation and how he did his antennas. It might be to your advantage to check them out. His call sign is KC1ELZ check out his YouTube mobile installation video's.

In case anyone is wondering if I fell off the map - This week I've been testing out the Sony stereo deck that I had bought for the van. It gets extremely hot in the back, which makes me worried - I need to measure the speaker impedance and make sure that the harness is hooked up correctly. Otherwise it may need to go back to best buy and exchange it for a different head unit.

Aha! Yeah, it seems that the Sony unit overheats less why I switch the harness to "amplified" with a higher current limiting resistor. I may still want to install a cooling fan, but at least it doesn't burn the fingers.

Back
Top Bottom