"New" Old guns

OMG, I checked out one of those recently at my LGS and the thing was crazy heavy! I'm guessing with that mass, you barely feel any recoil from shooting the .45s.

Frank
Crazy heavy, and basically no recoil - confirmed on both accounts. With the buttstock, sure, you can shoot it from the shoulder....but if you want to enjoy it for any length of time, hip firing is the way to go. And once you get into the rhythm of it, as mentioned above, it is very easy to blow through a box of ammo. Puts as many holes downrange, as it does in your wallet.

Also, the semi auto has a more complicated magazine change process from the full auto. Pretty annoying, from my experience.

Actually, that'd be a good candidate for some more involved "modernization." Cut some weight out of it, drop it from 14+ lbs loaded to somewhere closer to...10 with drum, 8~ with stick? Aluminum where possible, and synthetic furniture? Improve the magazine/drum removal process. It wouldn't become my go-to for a PCC, but would be more fun to shoot than just a few times a year.

Last edited:
Savage 99 Like they made them in Chicopee

Double Rifle (SXS) that doesn't cost a fortune

Colt Pocket Hammerless made like the original
I live in W Mass and run across Savage employees pretty frequently. I always nag them to re-introduce the Model 99. The answer I always get is something to the effect that if they re-introduced it, they would have renewed product liability for the old ones still floating around? I don’t quite get it, but I’ve heard it more then once

I live in W Mass and run across Savage employees pretty frequently. I always nag them to re-introduce the Model 99. The answer I always get is something to the effect that if they re-introduced it, they would have renewed product liability for the old ones still floating around? I don’t quite get it, but I’ve heard it more then once
I think I understand what they're getting at, if they reintroduced it with the same tooling/operation as the previous one. If the new one created any problems, anyone with an old model would also have a claim, since they'd be same firearm.

But if they updated it, improved safety or anything they felt was a weak point of the gun...especially enough to make the argument that they're not the same...I feel like it exclude them from that trouble?

Just a thought.

Very possible. I had heard they either would be hard to CNC easily or would have to be very expensive and no one would buy them at that price. Very possible. Not sure that they've taken the current market into consideration where levers have become 1K guns....and a 99 would probably be a premium lever and be 1200-1500.

But what would be some good changes to old guns to be re-introduced? What would you like to see?

Rifles:

Useful combo rifle - 12 or 20 gauge shotgun under a competent rifle caliber - pretty much anything besides .22/.410
I am fine with the current pistols and shotguns on the market, but a pack-able 18" combo rifle in .223 and threaded for chokes 12g would be neat.

As far as old guns being made new and better, I am pretty excited to get my hands on the Ruger/Marlin 1895.

I am fine with the current pistols and shotguns on the market, but a pack-able 18" combo rifle in .223 and threaded for chokes 12g would be neat.

As far as old guns being made new and better, I am pretty excited to get my hands on the Ruger/Marlin 1895.
Silly question, why not pair the 223 with 20GA or 308 with the 12GA? I'm really warming to the idea overall, just curious about the specific pairing...

Silly question, why not pair the 223 with 20GA or 308 with the 12GA? I'm really warming to the idea overall, just curious about the specific pairing...
I would want it to be light weight and have a slim small foot print. 223 seems like it would be a more comfortable cartridge to shoot, 308 would be fine but if you need that much punch drop a slug in the barrel. For me packing it down small enough to strap to the side of a 3 day size pack and being able to shoot the most common off the shelf ammo is what would be important.

I had started another thread about combo guns. I had a Savage 24 in .22/.410 and it was ok - but nothing more than small game. I'd really like a deer capable rifle (.223 is fine) with a real shotgun (20 or 12, I won't even try to get this in my beloved 16ga yet). Where small game and deer seasons overlap, this would be great.
As it is, I think I'm just going to deer hunt with a SxS shotgun from now on and shitcan the Marlin 336 - I enjoy small game much more than deer hunting, and don't see squat for deer anyway - so why bother with a gun that limits what I can do.
I'm also cheap, and while I'd gladly give my 336 and right nut for a good Savage 24 in .223/20, I'm not about to spend the dough on a drilling.

This is why we need more SxS shotguns on the market - and for God's sake don't make them stupid tacticool nightmares.

for God's sake don't make them stupid tacticool nightmares.
100%. I hate that trend more then anything in the gun industry. Tech advances, and I am OK with updates made that improve the firearms performance or comfort/ease of shooting, but the tactical crap for the sake of tactical is retarded.

Nambu in .22LR.
Oh wait, with modern tech.
RUGERMKIV.jpg

I want an AR in 44/40WCF dammit! Or an AK...either or.
That would be pretty hot.
hot.jpg

I was thinking that I'd love to see H&R's business plan
for risk management of Garand Thumb lawsuits
on the new production models.

I have a Krag carbine and it's a joy to shoot. Your idea is good but the Krag action, while very smooth is not very strong so caliber selection would be limited. Probably something like .30/30 or .303 British?

I have a Krag carbine and it's a joy to shoot. Your idea is good but the Krag action, while very smooth is not very strong so caliber selection would be limited. Probably something like .30/30 or .303 British?

US Krags only have one locking lug. Norwegian Krags have two or three and were in 6.5x55. A Krag can be a stronger action with modifications.

Modern Lee Enfield in .308. I'd want the military ladder sight and charger bridge still though.
A modern Lee Navy straight pull rifle would be sweet too.
Winchester 1895 'Russian musket' in 7.62x54r & .308 as well.
LEM4%2Bcopy.png
I'm telling myself that you threw that render together in a fit of boredom and inspiration over the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom