New Orleans airport worker shot in leg at check-in counter

Where there once was a man in the mountain
I saw this on the news this morning...

link:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20083144-504083.html

(CBS/WWL) KENNER, La. - A bullet from a hunting rifle that was being checked in at Armstrong International Airport in New Orleans Monday struck a United Airlines employee in the leg, according to CBS affilliate WWL

Another:

KENNER, La. - A United Airlines employee was injured on Monday morning when a hunting rifle inside a piece of checked luggage went off.

link:
http://www.9news.com/news/article/209870/188/Airport-employee-hurt-when-gun-inside-luggage-goes-off-

Last edited:
I've flown with firearms many times. In the good old days, you would be taken into a back room, open the case and show that the gun(s) were not loaded. This guy, if the story is real, is a complete idiot. Jack.

The quality of news reporting in the US is hitting an all time low. I tried to find what really happened, and just got 30 of basically the exact same report. It was like teachers get when the make a written asignment, and one kid does it, and 20 others copy it, but change a few words to fool the teacher.

I wanted to know:
Was the gun in an enclosed bag when it went off?
Was the guy handling it to show it was "empty"? (see 1st rule of gun handling!)
Did someone deliberately pull the trigger?
Did someone drop the bag with the gun inside?

About the only thing I found out was that the guy was taking the gun to Africa on safari, so it must have been a big caliber.

In the good old days, you would be taken into a back room, open the case and show that the gun(s) were not loaded.

Continental in ORD had me to open my suitcase in front of a long queue of other passengers
to verify my .357 was unloaded. Then they issued me a tag for carrying on board, lol.
Lufthansa in BOS indeed asked me into a back room, verified the serial against the permit
issued by ATF and I happily went my way.

Back
Top Bottom