New Poll Supports Right To Carry

Garys

NES Member
This is a Zogby Poll, not one of those MSNBC or CNN ones.

Interesting numbers. Overall about 80% of the people they polled support right to carry.

Read the article here.

Interesting, especially this little tidbit:

Zogby/O'Leary asked voters:

"Currently, 39 states have laws that allow residents to carry firearms to protect themselves, only if they pass a background check and pay a fee to cover administrative costs. Most of those states also require applicants to have firearms safety training. Do you support or oppose this law?"

An overwhelming majority of Americans (83 percent) support concealed-carry laws, while only 11 percent oppose them. A majority of Independent voters (86 percent), Democrats (80 percent), young voters age 18-29 (83 percent), Hispanic voters (80 percent), and those who voted for President Obama (80 percent) support the right to carry a firearm.

So, 8 out of 10 Obama voters support the right to carry a firearm, but Obama has never met a gun law he didn't like. I can't figure this out. Perhaps these voters were hoping he would change his attitude? [hmmm]

The ObamaZombies didn't know what the F they were voting for. I feel bad for the people who voted for him because he lied right to their faces. There is no way in hell 80% of the faaaaar faaaar left would vote for gun rights.

Some debate on the quality of the Zogby poll from a strong 2A supporter.

Much as I'd like to accept Zogby's numbers, I think that Volokh makes a very strong argument that the poll was fundamentally flawed. You'd think they wouldn't make such an obvious mistake.

Much as I'd like to accept Zogby's numbers, I think that Volokh makes a very strong argument that the poll was fundamentally flawed. You'd think they wouldn't make such an obvious mistake.

Unless it was a push poll designed to get that kind of number.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

On the other other hand, it does give insight into how these laws ought to be pitched to the general public. It is NOT disingenuous to say they describe restrictions on the public carrying of firearms - concealed weapons laws are all written from the history and legal perspective that, absent the law, carrying concealed would be legal. If the right to carry movement can gain ground by properly and legitimately discussing that and how shall-issue CC laws restrict carrying - since they do - then that is a very useful bit of strategic information.

It's not like the Brady Camp and others poll numbers and data are skewed either!

Perhaps, but they're being unusually forthcoming with the details if that was the intent. You can get all the numbers here. I found it interesting that while 82.9% of respondents allegedly favored the right-to-carry, 18.9% were in favor of banning handguns (72.9% opposed). That's obviously inconsistent, and I think underscores Volokh's point about the confusion (whether intentional or not) on what is really being asked in the first question.

Last edited:
Firearms polls by default are going to be skewered from the emotional aspect alone. Trying to find a compromise between rural firearms owners who grew up with firearms as tools against the viewpoints of an inner city Mothers who lost their first born to the plagues of 'gun violence' leaves the issue at even support on both sides. 50 votes for / 50 votes against...making it easier for a Senator to vote how they feel, or how their betters (Senior Senators) or how their financial supporters feel; rather than how their constituents may actually feel.

Seriously, who is worse.... The retarded guy on the shortbus or the moron who hires him to balance his checkbook?

+1. I don't feel bad for anyone that voted for Obama and is now having regrets. While it takes gusto to admit that you were wrong, all the signs of what type of POTUS he would be were laid out flat and broad daylight. Many chose to ignore them, others didn't do their homework.

I am on Zoby's polling DB and took part in that survey.
While I was happy to see questions on something that I really care about the survey was as straight forward as any I have seen from them.
I get Zogby poll surveys about once a month or so, depending on the demographic the are working with.

Here is some info on the survey data, look for yourself.

http://www.olearyreport.com/media/pdf/Zogby-olearyReport-07.24.09 Poll.pdf

Back
Top Bottom