New record for 1000 yard team match

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
Just amazing. I think this one will stand for a very long time.

teampras800x600.jpg

Anyone know what the previous record was? That is truly incredible!

Old Any / Any record was 799-51, set by the AMU team back in 2006.

Old iron sight record was 799-43, set by the AMU team in 2005.

Last edited:
Just curious what are the size targets they're shooting at, at 1000yards?
This seems impressive.
Is there somewhere that list what they were shooting? I'm not familiar with matches.

EDIT: found a pic of the targets

Last edited:
Just curious what are the size targets they're shooting at, at 1000yards?
This seems impressive.

The X ring is 10 inches wide, the 10 ring is 20 inches.

NRA Rulebook said:
4.7 800, 900, and 1000 Yard Target
(a) NRA No. LR--
Aiming Black-(inches)--Rings in White-(inches)
X ring--------10.00 _________ 7 ring---------60.00
10 ring-------20.00 _________ 6 area--------72x72 square
9 ring--------30.00
8 ring--------44.00

Is there somewhere that list what they were shooting? I'm not familiar with matches.

I'm ~assuming~ they were shooting Any / Any, which basically means any rifle (up to .35 caliber) and any sights.

Last edited:
Hitting 72" at that range with iron sights isn't as easy as it may seem, wind can and does play major havoc.

True, but it's do-able. People shouldn't feel intimidated to shoot high-power. It's a lot of fun, even if you never manage to shoot a 200-20 at 1000. [grin]

I never shot at that range, but my dad used to waaayyy back in the day, at Curtiss Guild - he said his best target was with .30-40 Krag ammo, that had split necks, so he had to separately load the bullets, and keep the muzzle up, so the powder would stay in the case.

"Nice shooting" seem a bit like faint praise....

Hitting 72" at that range with iron sights isn't as easy as it may seem, wind can and does play major havoc.

Yep. Kelly Bachand ("the kid from Top Shot") was reporting 75" of drift on the first day. With that, you could hold at the extreme right edge of that 6' wide target, and still miss it completely.

Yep. Kelly Bachand ("the kid from Top Shot") was reporting 75" of drift on the first day. With that, you could hold at the extreme right edge of that 6' wide target, and still miss it completely.

If the wind is really blowing you can hold one target over to hit your target.

If the wind is really blowing you can hold one target over to hit your target.

Missing even a one minute change the wrong way could easily cost a point. I was out for CMP week and it was switching back and forth as much as 2-3 minutes at times. Holding the 10 ring for 80 shots in that is beyond impressive, when you consider that almost 60 of those were inside the X it's almost unbelievable.

Granted the 7mm bucks the wind a lot better than my little .223 but it's still pretty amazing.

Back
Top Bottom