• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New rig Yaesu FTDX10

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
So the rig I have been using since around 2008, when I bought it new, is an Icom IC-756Pro III. Great transceiver but it was first introduced in 2003 and in fact production ended in 2009.

Obviously technology has come a long way since then and I decided I wanted to try something with modern digital signal processing.

So today I swung by HRO in Salem NH and bought a Yaesu FTDX10.

I will unbox it tonight or tomorrow and give it a spin. It gets great technical reviews although some folks complain about the button positioning, in particular the band change button close up to the outer tuning/function ring.

Does anyone here own one of these?

X0waCem.png

KLiqs8N.jpg

🐯

I have it and it's awesome. But that's comparing to a mobile rig I was using in the house. But it is really nice. Congrats.

I wished I had gotten the speaker but I was cheap and didn't. I might get that in the future, though.

One of the first things I did was update the firmware. One of the quirks was the band menu would time out ridiculously fast and I'd miss and press whatever was on the screen instead of the band menu. The firmware update fixed that. For some reason everyone on the internet made it out to be a big deal and it was not hard at all. I just did what Yaesu said to do.

A waterfall is nice. I do not get the 3D waterfall. I tried a couple times but I don't get it. I thought having a waterfall would make using a non-waterfall radio awful but I don't even notice it. It's just a different form of hunt and peck. The thing I like the most about the waterfall is that you can see where there's a big area of noise and avoid it.

I find the CW and RTTY decode to be awful. One day I need to look into that, because it doesn't work at all. I've seen $50 QRP radios that decode like nobody's business and this thing just gives me "ee ee/ i em ?e". I've fooled with the decode level, whatever that is, and tried matching the keyer speed to it, nope.

I just learned that if you want to go back and forth between CW and SSB, just select the same band again and it'll jump to where you last used the other mode and switch to that mode. I haven't paid attention enough to know what it's using (it's not VFO A/B), but all I know is it does it and I like it.

Next up for me will be a display. I need to find a couple that match so I can have one for my laptop and one for the radio. I'd really like to have two laptop screens: one for logging and one for other (POTA, QRZ, maybe some digital or SSTV type stuff). Connecting USB to your laptop works really well. I expected a struggle and there wasn't one; just plug it in.

I went back and forth between this one and the 7300 and in the end it came down to Chevy/Ford. The receive is really good and I use the notch/? filters all the time to knock out knuckleheads who have to tune up on frequency.

I've seen where people spend a lot of time dialing in the audio. I think I fooled with that some, but then when I updated something I did a factory reset and never bothered to go back. I bust pileups and get great audio reports, so I'm not worried about it.

Can you tell I love this radio?

I really like these radios with the waterfall display. Good pick!

Yes the waterfall is cool, but what I was most interested in was its selectivity and filtering. Below is the well done comparison video to a IC-7300 that confirmed my thought of going with the DX10 even though I have always had Icom HF rigs going back decades to the IC-720.
In case you are interested the same guy doing this video also does a comparison to the latest Yaesu, the FT-710 which is all digital not a hybrid, but still the DX10 was the clear choice for me.

By the way my wife was surprised when I told her the radio I bought was $1400, she said she expected I was buying a $3000 radio. I laughed and thought, "Damn I could of had an IC-7610."
But the truth is while I would like to have it I don't really need a $3200 radio that is just going to sit on the desk idle most of the time. Gone is the time years ago when I was on the air for all kinds of events. My peak year was 2007 with just under 10,000 QSO that year.

🐯

Last edited:
So I couldn't resist getting up and coming downstairs to start to fiddle with the new toy. First step was to get the power cord out of the box and crimp some Anderson power poles connectors on to it. The power cord uses modern automotive blade style fuses which is cool for availability. However, one surprising thing was that they only leave you about 8 inches of lead to work with after the inline fuse holders.

BTW that is a $26 power pole crimper off Amazon in the photo below and the thing works excellent for 30 amp contacts on 12 AWG wire. I have not tried it with 45 amp contacts on 10 AWG yet.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSQPTDS/

ZhxbSJq.jpg

🐯

I play with those things but call me petty but I cant get past the ALL THE ITALICS ALL THE TIME HOLY COW IM TOTALLY GOING SO FAST 28.400 YAESU FORWARD THINKING ONLY ALLOWED [rofl] The sad thing is the radio is obviously pretty capable and has good ears which is all that should matter, problem is I've been calibrated to expect better on the presentation end of the stick. Some of the other things that look dumb like the lack of real estate and odd button placement I could probably get around.

After running old Yaesu rigs, 890, 1000D, and Kenwood 440, 850, Icom 706x series, 756 Pro II/III, 775DSP, 781.... a lot of the newer Yaesu rigs are AIDS in the UI department.

@CatSnoutSoup I am an icom fanboi and this same kind of BS actually annoys me on the 7610. A 3K radio with wobbly knobs (except for the VFO, which is superb) that move too easily. Sad because the rest of the thing is superb but it just bothers me in some freak way. I'm actually kinda pissed that I didnt just take the dive on a 7851 before the price jumped because of inflation etc. Now what was once an expensive radio is retarded. lol. Like its sad because I have a 7600 and its like "someone who made this actually cared" about that end of the thing WRT quality. Actually the 7610 is annoying in the sense that it doesnt make you think "hey this is two 7300s welded together". I've had my 7300 before covid BS and that thing is incredible... not sure why they didnt use that as a reference design for the 7610.

Who am I fooling though ill probably end up with a newer yaesu one of these days just to take it around the block.

It's always fun to play with a new toy!! Enjoy. I've done some serious upgrading myself over the past year with two new radios (Yaesu FT-891 and Kenwood TS-890S) and a complete Palstar solid state amplifier/tuner/dummy load setup. The FT-891 is a mobile setup. Everything else were shack upgrades. It felt "odd" to remove my kilowatt tube amplifier from service when upgrading to an all solid state station though!! [rofl]

It felt "odd" to remove my kilowatt tube amplifier from service when upgrading to an all solid state station though!!

I have an AL-1500 amp with low hours, I bought it new years ago, and it is just sitting off line here because I just cannot be bothered with loading/adjusting it and putting the tuner in line.

I would however like to have an an Acom solid state amp and auto tuner.

🐯

I have an AL-1500 amp with low hours, I bought it new years ago, and it is just sitting off line here because I just cannot be bothered with loading/adjusting it and putting the tuner in line.

🐯

All I can say is that you will never go back to a tube based amplifier once you use a quality solid state amp. I put my radio to 5 watts output if I need the auto tuner (Palstar HF Auto), the auto tuner tunes itself usually instantaneously and the amp has already followed the band change. I literally just raise the radio power output where I want it for the amplification I want and transmit. I literally make a band change now within 5 seconds. No more Plate and LOAD settings to fumble with.

I don't have any real comparison, but the receive on this thing is really good. I try and take it easy on the noise reduction, but it does a great job as long as your signal isn't too far in the noise.

I found that my 23A power supply isn't always enough and it'll reset sometimes. I don't know if that's when the SWR is too high or what, but if I drop the power to 90w I have no issues. So that'll be my solution for now. I also considered cutting the mile long power leads. Thank you Yaesu for putting the fuses at the end of the long wires vs closer to the rig.

I don't have any real comparison, but the receive on this thing is really good. I try and take it easy on the noise reduction, but it does a great job as long as your signal isn't too far in the noise.

I found that my 23A power supply isn't always enough and it'll reset sometimes. I don't know if that's when the SWR is too high or what, but if I drop the power to 90w I have no issues. So that'll be my solution for now. I also considered cutting the mile long power leads. Thank you Yaesu for putting the fuses at the end of the long wires vs closer to the rig.

I think traditionally most of the power leads were set up that way anyways, I forget. One of the things I always used to do to kenwood and icom cords was make sure the leads had 25 or 30A fuses in the leads (less voltage drop) because honestly if something bad happens the fuses arent going to save the radio, they're there to keep your car/house/whatever from catching on fire. A 23A PSU though should really be able to handle most 100W HF rigs no problem.

🐯
Congrats on your new radio! Just make sure the amplifier keying circuit in the FTDX-10 can safely handle the voltage on the AL-1500 TR relay if you're planning on using that amp with your new transceiver. I have an older Kenwood TL-922 and the relay in the amp uses 110 volts on the relay...way too high for the contacts in my newer transceivers to handle safely. I use an interface made by "Radiodan" (Henry Radio Amplifiers Parts, low current relay keying box). It works well or you can roll your own. I built one of these to interface my Icom IC-706 to my TL-922.
PTT.gif

I plan on spending a little time in the contest this weekend...

Last edited:
Congrats on your new radio! Just make sure the amplifier keying circuit in the FTDX-10 can safely handle the voltage on the AL-1500 TR relay if you're planning on using that amp with your new transceiver.

Thank you. The amp has been sitting ideal for years, and I imagine before putting it on the air again it would probably be wise to put it on a bench and check it out with a scope, something which I do not have the facility nor expertise for, so I think it will be sitting ideal for a while longer..

In any event if I was to hook it up I own one of these that can provide a buffer to protect the rig.

🐯

I put my radio to 5 watts output if I need the auto tuner (Palstar HF Auto), the auto tuner tunes itself usually instantaneously

I own the original Palstar auto tuner the AT-Auto designed by Don Kessler. I am not sure what the story was but Kessler and Palstar may have had a falling out and Palstar branded production end abruptly, maybe around 2010, and there after Kessler supported a user base of owners directly.

🐯

So the FTDX10 has DVI out for an external monitor in 800x600 max resolution. I was bummed because I had for years held on to an excellent little 15" Eizo L365 monitor and its 4:3 ratio and DVI input would have been perfect if I had not finally trashed it about two years ago thinking I would never use it again.

However I went out and searched the loft over the garage and I did find a Sony SDM-HS94P a 19" monitor with 5:4 aspect ration and DVI in. It is quite a bit bigger than is really needed for mirroring the radio screen. I also plugged in a wired mouse to work the radio screen. A keyboard could be added but I really don't have room at the desk (maybe add an USB A/B switch).

Rearranging the desk but this is what it looks like so far. I actually have a rolling cart loaded with other gear but I am trying to go minimalist. HF rig in the middle with key and a Heil Proset nearby, then 2m/70cm remote head under the left corner of my computer monitor with hand mike. Power supply and speaker on the left, antenna rotator controller on the right and I am all set for now. At least till I decide to change it again tomorrow.

PhFHxBY.jpg

P.S.> Yes, that is a Redding turret press bolted to the corner of the desk. :p

🐯

Thank you. The amp has been sitting ideal for years, and I imagine before putting it on the air again it would probably be wise to put it on a bench and check it out with a scope, something which I do not have the facility nor expertise for, so I think it will be sitting ideal for a while longer..

In any event if I was to hook it up I own one of these that can provide a buffer to protect the rig.

🐯
That ARB-704 will work fine...

So the FTDX10 has DVI out for an external monitor in 800x600 max resolution. I was bummed because I had for years held on to an excellent little 15" Eizo L365 monitor and its 4:3 ratio and DVI input would have been perfect if I had not finally trashed it about two years ago thinking I would never use it again.

However I went out and searched the loft over the garage and I did find a Sony SDM-HS94P a 19" monitor with 5:4 aspect ration and DVI in. It is quite a bit bigger than is really needed for mirroring the radio screen. I also plugged in a wired mouse to work the radio screen. A keyboard could be added but I really don't have room at the desk (maybe add an USB A/B switch).

Rearranging the desk but this is what it looks like so far. I actually have a rolling cart loaded with other gear but I am trying to go minimalist. HF rig in the middle with key and a Heil Proset nearby, then 2m/70cm remote head under the left corner of my computer monitor with hand mike. Power supply and speaker on the left, antenna rotator controller on the right and I am all set for now. At least till I decide to change it again tomorrow.

PhFHxBY.jpg

P.S.> Yes, that is a Redding turret press bolted to the corner of the desk. :p

🐯
I was gonna comment on the Sig, then I saw the Redding and didn't know where to go from there.

I'm still working on ideas for how to set up my station. I wanted minimalist but then I started writing down all the things I needed and it quickly got not minimalist. And I didn't even think about a press!

I was gonna comment on the Sig, then I saw the Redding and didn't know where to go from there.

Yeah P220 with a light. We live way out in the forest and I had just come in at night from being out back of the house where we get the occasional bear.

I wanted minimalist but then I started writing down all the things I needed and it quickly got not minimalist.

I already know my Navigator interface will be added (ordered a cable) because I want FSK RTTY and its K1EL keyer for CW. Also I think I am going to buy the Yaesu speaker, provided it has a bail type stand on the bottom to match the one on the DX10. If I do it will be the first time I have ever bought a pricey matching OEM speaker.

🐯

Yeah P220 with a light. We live way out in the forest and I had just come in at night from being out back of the house where we get the occasional bear.

I already know my Navigator interface will be added (ordered a cable) because I want FSK RTTY and its K1EL keyer for CW. Also I think I am going to buy the Yaesu speaker, provided it has a bail type stand on the bottom to match the one on the DX10. If I do it will be the first time I have ever bought a pricey matching OEM speaker.

🐯
Ditto on the speaker. My hangup is I have speakers all over the house I'm not using. I've been toying with building a little low pass filter to knock out any higher frequency hiss. That shouldn't be hard, but then I got looking at active filtering and lost motivation.

For speakers, I have a bunch of these I've collected over the years and use them on my transceivers. They sound great and they can be had for some pretty short money if you poke around on eBay or other places like that, They come in several different finishes as well:

Last edited:
That new Yaesu looks really nice! My take on the 3D waterfall is that it’s like enabling the peak-hold timer on a 2D waterfall, where you can either hold a peak for a few seconds or enable a moving average over a few second. The 3D waterfall just let’s you visually integrate a time series any way you want to.

I miss my FT-897d, which has a PCB issue nobody wants to fix - a jumper busted loose and pulled a chunk off the PCB. I’ve tried a lot of fixes but the double-layer PCB is tricky. It was nice for portable, even if heavy with the batteries. My IC-705 is sweet but sometimes you need 50-100W. I built a Hardrock50 as a portable boost but was having alignment issues so sent it to the vendor - USPS has in “in transit, running late for 3wk+…

With a decent Bioenno battery, that FTDX10 might be a good field radio. What do you think?

I've just started using the N3FJP logging software. Until now I've just been logging in a notebook. The interaction with the radio is fantastic. Everything the radio can tell it, it fills in.

I'm doing the DX contest and the spotting feed is amazing. Just click on a call sign and boom you're on frequency and their info is already entered in for you. I bought the $60 lifetime package that includes special logs for every contest. No ragerts.

This might be old news to computer loggers but it's new to me. I need to get LotW setup next. Jesus that's complicated to get going.

Nearly three weeks and I have not seen my "drop shipment" of the new cable for my Navigator interface. Called HRO and all they said was we sent the PO to Timewave we have no way of tracking after that. That's lame, dude should have said I will get on the phone and check with them and call you back.

No matter the DX10's internal soundcard is perfectly capable, I just like the easy level adjustments (knobs) on the Navigator. Plus its K1EL keyer implementation.

Very please today to find out that it is possible to key RTTY via FSK through the DX10's USB port with MMTTY and N1MM. So one more plus to this radio.
I am playing at the BARTG RTTY contest in-between doing other things around the house.

🐯

Back
Top Bottom