New Ruger SR22 Issues

The Galloway cleared mine up, even though I barely had any issues which could be Ammo related. Actually shot 200rds of the 333 pack last week and still was 100%...Blazer has wax on it and builds up after 100 or so rounds.

I only have issues in mine with Remington golden bullets. The cases seem to be a little larger and get hung up on the magazine feed lips causein them to nose up and jam instead of loading. But any other ammo i've used has worked 100%

I bought a Ruger SR22 for my 8yr old son about a 3 weeks ago at Four Seasons. The guns is great and works well when its clean. I did notice once it started to get dirty, that I would get about 1 failure to load per mag (not horrible but still). Mind you, the gun wasn't cleaned in about 350+ rounds so it was super dirty shooting Remington Golden bullet and Federal Auto Match 333rd bulk.

Dirty
IMG_1847_zpsyklkk8ta.jpg

IMG_1846_zpsumn2vwv6.jpg

IMG_1845_zpsep7p5pmj.jpg

Cleaned Up
IMG_1852_zpsmzpkwyhu.jpg

that's pretty normal if your running it that wet and using that ammo.

it wasn't even that wet. Just a little bit of factory lube on it still and I added some tw25b grease (white stuff in the pic). I just think by nature .22lr is just filthy stuff. But yea makes it easier for fouling to stick to.

Blazer ammo was pretty much making my SR22 explode. The take down lever would pop open and then the next round fired would eject the slide and spring rod down range.
Sent it back to Ruger twice before they finally destroyed and gave me a new one.

I think they changed the way the take down lever holds. Made it stiffer.
The new gun works great and haven't had any issues. But i'm not shooting Blazers through it.
But I shoot everything else. Even the cheep 1400 pcs tub of bullets.

The art of owning a .22 Find out what it eats best. My Walther P22 is terrible with some ammo. Oddly enough it works great with Remington Golden Bullets. My mark III hates them.

My sr22 is awesome I throw all my 22 in a bag grab a handful and go to town. 2000 ish through it already no issues after the first hundred or so. Ran 2 500 round sessions back to back no cleaning shot great

The new gun works great and haven't had any issues. But i'm not shooting Blazers through it.
But I shoot everything else. Even the cheep 1400 pcs tub of bullets.

I think so, 'cause I have a new Mayodan, NC made one... and the lever is a pain in the thumbs. Mine has a Galloway Precision captive guide rod installed and has seen only CCI Mini Mags. Runs fine so far.

Went to the range again today and had a lot of failure to feed and eject. Gun was dirty so I did a quick clean using CLP spray which seemed to help. My 8yr old son was shooting it mostly and even after the clean he experienced a few failures to feed. He could be limp wristing it a bit, either that or the federal 325ct bulk pack auto match is just junk.

Wow, guess I got lucky with mine. I've had it a couple of years now, ever since they made the list in MA. I've run all different types of .22 through it with no issues other than the occasional FTF from a dud round. Great little gun, and after reading this thread, I'll probably hang onto it. I've thought about using it as trade fodder a couple of times when cash was short thinking I could just replace it anytime I wanted, but now it seems like getting a solid one is luck!

ruger recently moved their SR22 production from prescott AZ to mayodan NC....it was sometime in summer 2015 if i recall correctly. not sure if that's related to issues.

Ordered the galloway captured recoil spring/guide rod to see if that helps. If not, then I am going to call Ruger to see what the deal is. Great gun for learning how to clear failures. My son can tap/rack like a pro, but too many failures for my liking.

it wasn't even that wet. Just a little bit of factory lube on it still and I added some tw25b grease (white stuff in the pic). I just think by nature .22lr is just filthy stuff. But yea makes it easier for fouling to stick to.

I don't like using grease.
It traps too much crap that causes more ware .

Joining the "club" - bought a brand new SR22 last Saturday from FS, shot about 80 rounds and had one misfire, cartridge stuck in the chamber. Took it out and reloaded and it fired fine. Ammo was CCI, also picked from FS.

I guess I'm gonna have to fire more while it's new to make sure there is nothing wrong with it.

Mini Mags, or something else? Mine likes Mini Mags. Could also try changing out the recoil spring and guide rod to see if that smooths things out.

Mini Mags it is.

I don't think we should 'fix' problems in new guns via changing recoil spring or other parts. It's a brand new gun, it should work properly and if the recoil spring needs to be changed, my opinion is that the manufacturer should take care of it.

I do wish the guide rod was metal and not that thin little piece of plastic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have relatively little faith in ruger semi-auto pistols but I do have faith in their customer service. so if your new SR22 isn't behaving itself just call ruger, get an RMA and let them fix it.

again, if plastic guide rods were a problem, manufacturers would be moving away from them. the SR22 guide rod and spring isn't an issue. keep in mind the ruger SR22 slide isn't steel - it's aluminum with a steel breech insert. it simply doesn't need a steel guide rod.

Well, I finally got out to the range with some CCI mini mags and the gun ran through 200 rounds flawlessly. I then ran through 100 federal auto match without a single issue, the same exact ammo that I was having failures to feed with. Now I'm just confused. Guess I'll just keep shooting for now.

Kind of funny that I'm about to congratulate you on your gun working without a problem..
But here goes, "Congratulations!"

I know how you feel though. When I first had problems with my SR22 it sucked. And now that mine works great I always wonder if I'm going to have problems again.

Kind of funny that I'm about to congratulate you on your gun working without a problem..
But here goes, "Congratulations!"

I know how you feel though. When I first had problems with my SR22 it sucked. And now that mine works great I always wonder if I'm going to have problems again.

Spoke too soon. I went to the range again today and had 3-4 failures to feed and or eject per mag with the same federal auto match ammo. One case was stuck so bad I had to strip the gun and use a pair of needle nose to pull it out. Calling Ruger and sending it back to them to check it out. Hopefully they can fix whatever is wrong with it.

Last edited:
I can attest. Their customer service is top notch.
They sent me a brand new gun after they couldn't fix my problem.

so I had a few, not a lot but a few isn't good in my book issues with Bulk 333 . Yes it's crap ammo but figured for the $ and avail ill grab it, well I had a few failures also and yesterday I brought a sleeve of CCI Mini Mag and some AutoMatch and all went flawless, it's almost too funny doing a Mag dump with a .22
[rofl]

Just got my RMA# from Ruger. Its going back tomorrow. Lets hope they can fix whatever the problem is. They asked if the ammo I am using is at least 1200 FPS and I said yes. The Federal auto match is rated just at 1200, and the mini mags I tested with were ~1235. Looks like my 8 year old is not going shooting for a few weeks. Maybe I can convince the wife on the one is none two is one theory and get another one...hahaha

Blazer ammo was pretty much making my SR22 explode. The take down lever would pop open and then the next round fired would eject the slide and spring rod down range.
Sent it back to Ruger twice before they finally destroyed and gave me a new one.

But I shoot everything else. Even the cheep 1400 pcs tub of bullets.[/QUOTE

Mine blew up for 2nd time yesterday. 1st time with CCI MM. 2nd time Thunderbolts. The rim blows and separates from the case leaving the destroyed rim brass on the ramp and the remaining case brass stuck in the breach. Powder burns out and fouls the entire inside of gun and hands. This one is going back to Ruger. I bought it new in December 2018.

Back
Top Bottom