• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Ruger Wrangler

My first thought also was that it's trying to compete with the Heritage Rough Rider; I see them for sale at about $110-$150 all the time. Never held/fired/owned one, but I do hear that for what they are, they work; the finish, as you'd expect for the price point, is not great. But for a $100-$150 gun, you must manage your expectations.
umberti makes the cattleman 12 shot 22lr all steel various barrel lengths. beautiful single action, but not here

Why can't someone make a .22 revolver that is decent quality, low weight, 8 or 10 shots, have .22 Magnum capabilities, that has a decent grip angle? Think of a Single Six cross-bred with a S&W 317 (or is it 617?). I don't even mind the single action, but the grip angle does kind of suck. Instead of trying to be a cowboy gun "reproduction" of something that probably never existed in "cowboy gun days", just do something new and unique. Heck, give it some fiber sights while you're at it. It would sell. It would be a great squirrel/bunny/target fun gun that is affordable to feed, and would be good for teaching purposes.

Does the single six or single ten not fit the bill? It’s been a while since I’ve shot my grandpas single six but it felt like a real gun I think.
The single 10 and single 6 sell for over $500. This model enters the market at half that.

And as much as there are haters of the single 10 and single 6 out there.......they are real guns. Solid accurate and very nice looking.

Yes, it's much easier to remove the cylinder, but unloading those things is tedious. Maybe when I'm like, 85 (if I live that long) I'll buy one.

Home Health Nurse person "Sir, so what did you do this week?"

Elderly Me: "I went to the gun club and fired off precisely 48 rounds of .22, from my little ruger SA cowboy gun. I was there most of the afternoon. Then afterwards I went to the airport to figure out what direction the luggage carousel went in, it was a very invigorating day. "

You forgot the part of the day when you acted as unofficial range police and decided to "requisition" all the .30-06 and .45ACP brass from the range buckets. Then you decided to go up to people and talk to them despite their obvious desire to be left alone.

Why can't someone make a .22 revolver that is decent quality, low weight, 8 or 10 shots, have .22 Magnum capabilities, that has a decent grip angle? Think of a Single Six cross-bred with a S&W 317 (or is it 617?). I don't even mind the single action, but the grip angle does kind of suck. Instead of trying to be a cowboy gun "reproduction" of something that probably never existed in "cowboy gun days", just do something new and unique. Heck, give it some fiber sights while you're at it. It would sell. It would be a great squirrel/bunny/target fun gun that is affordable to feed, and would be good for teaching purposes.

Because Ruger already makes the ultimate small game hunting gun - the 10/22, or their semi-auto .22 pistols if you want a pistol - and rabbit or hare hunting is done with shotguns if you're beagling. The guys who are hardcore into small game hunting are not in it for the guns, but for the hunting:

UKC Forums - ultimate coon hunting rifle

You forgot the part of the day when you acted as unofficial range police and decided to "requisition" all the .30-06 and .45ACP brass from the range buckets. Then you decided to go up to people and talk to them despite their obvious desire to be left alone.

Old and boring is one thing but if I became that sort of a range cretin I would hope that my friends would put me out of my misery, and I'd give them permission to do it! lol

-Mike

I've got some no-name .22 SA in the safe. It's a RPITA to shoot and reload so I've only shot it 3-4x ever. I can't see a huge market for these. Maybe 15 years ago.

umberti makes the cattleman 12 shot 22lr all steel various barrel lengths. beautiful single action, but not here
OK, so you meant there aren't MA Compliant ones you want, not that there aren't any in MA.

I have a Taylor's Smokewagon Deluxe in 357; they are basically a slicked up/tuned Uberti; it's nice.
I still prefer my 1980 S&W Model 15 though.

Because Ruger already makes the ultimate small game hunting gun - the 10/22, or their semi-auto .22 pistols if you want a pistol - and rabbit or hare hunting is done with shotguns if you're beagling. The guys who are hardcore into small game hunting are not in it for the guns, but for the hunting:

UKC Forums - ultimate coon hunting rifle

Amen. A 410 is a fun gun for bunnies.

You’re describing the H&R / NEF guns. I’ve got an NEF that is decent, but feels cheap in a solid way, if that makes sense.
I like this cheaper concept, if they make a bearcat like this with bird head grips I’m interested for a kid’s gun that I’ll inherit when they move on.

I'd own one, but I'm no princess...

wrangler_2004-3.jpg

I’ll buy one, maybe two, and I already have two 22lr revolvers. I have a rough rider, I keep it in one of my ATVs, not in a box or holster or bag, it just bounces around. It owes me nothing and it’s still bringing joy to many.

I wouldn't ever put an SA revolver in a kids hands because I would be concerned that it would potentially cause them to lose interest in shooting. [laugh] That would be the last gun they would see...

-Mike

The idea is, for their first time with a handgun they can only fire one round at a time. No chance of an accidental double-tap. ;)
But yes I have plenty of fun semi-auto .22 stuff for them to use once they get their fundamentals down.

The Bearcat and small Single-six is fantastic to teach with. If you can take a couple of minutes after you get home each day and shoot with the little one. If you live in the country and don't have to make time to go to the range, as in your back yard is your range.

Start with a Bearcat with shot shells at large, then small balloons and eyes light up. Work up to CBs, Shorts and LR and you have a way to teach, and keep, a young one interested in shooting for a long time. Move on to the MK IV from there and the shooting world is wide open. Sigs, Glocks and hand cannons for Grandpa forever. [rockon]

Last edited:
Would like all the quality of the 617, along with the easy load/unload, but the removable and swappable .22Mag cylinder of the Single Six, and light weight aluminum build of this one.

Please?

Is Ruger trying to appeal to the "I don't like to spend money so I'll buy cheap stuff crowd" I mean, the thing looks like the grip panels pop off to reveal the CO2 cartidge that powers it.

It reeks of wanting to compete with those heritage rough rider .22's you see in sporting good stores. Its a bit above them in price, but close enough that if you wanted a name brand its not out of reach.
The only thing the brand name gives you tho is better warranty and customer service. Apart from that, I don't really see what Ruger is giving that makes it worth $100 more vs the Heritage. Better barrel attachment to the frame? Yes. Coil hammer spring instead of flat spring? Yes. Better fitting grips? Yes, but the gun itself does the same thing with the same shitty fixed sights.

$100 may not be a lot of money, but for something that's solely going to be a range plinker, the added quality to the Ruger isn't necessary.

For a split second before I clicked on this thread I almost thought this was going to be a Jeep product with some Ruger bullshit on it or something... [rofl]

-Mike
If it was a Ruger built Jeep, you'd buy it, the door would stick trying to get in it, you'd go through the rear door to get in, turn the key and the battery would be dead, so you'd have to jump the car, then you put it in gear and push the pedal only to find out the throttle is stuck because it's caught on a burr.

You'd call Ruger, they'd send a tow truck to ship it back to them and they'd send it back to you a week later.

if they did a bearcat with a 10rd cylinder i would be interested. i just don't see the point in a 6 rd cylinder for 22LR.
That would defeat the concept of the Bearcat, which was made to be a small and light kit gun in the 1950s. In fact, at that time the frame was Aluminum and in the 70s it was changed to steel, so the 1st gen models were a lot lighter than the Bearcats of today.

Yet another cheap POS, brought to you by, who else... Ruger
Time will tell. While I'm not greatly interested in this vs a Heritage with adj. sights, a 9 rd cylinder, and two cylinders for LR and .22 Mag, I do have to give Ruger credit where it's due and say that when it comes to the budget/cheap guns Ruger makes, they make them very well.

It seems the higher the price of the gun, the worse Ruger makes them. It's totally inverted: buy the Wrangler and get a quality product that has no problems, but buy a Redhawk or a Super Blackhawk and the thing is dorked up all to hell out of the box.

Apart from the low weight thing, Heritage does this and when the 9 shot adj sight models are in stock online, they don't last long at all.

And the part where they defend every police shooting of Black men while making every cop out to be an angel sent to us directly from God.

That would defeat the concept of the Bearcat, which was made to be a small and light kit gun in the 1950s. In fact, at that time the frame was Aluminum and in the 70s it was changed to steel, so the 1st gen models were a lot lighter than the Bearcats of today.

a small and light kit gun, that now has a full steel frame and only holds 6 rounds? how does increasing the cylinder to hold 10 rounds affect your concept of the bearcat? it doesn't. they chose to expand the single six to single ten. did that destroy the concept? no.

the reason ruger leaves it at 6 rounds is because 1) expense of re-tooling the cylinder, hand, internals, etc and 2) the market for these is relatively small so not worth their time/$$.

a small and light kit gun, that now has a full steel frame and only holds 6 rounds? how does increasing the cylinder to hold 10 rounds affect your concept of the bearcat? it doesn't. they chose to expand the single six to single ten. did that destroy the concept? no.

the reason ruger leaves it at 6 rounds is because 1) expense of re-tooling the cylinder, hand, internals, etc and 2) the market for these is relatively small so not worth their time/$$.
Because the gun would have to be bigger. You can't fit 10 rounds into a bearcat cylinder, maybe 8, but no more. At 10 rds, the timing may be impossible to accomplish in such a small frame.

The market is small and not worth the investment, but, with the Wrangler and its allow frame, maybe Ruger will look at making a Bearcat Wrangler, which would actually be the 1st gen Bearcat, and they can offset the cost of the extra machining of the cylinders and the timing with the cheaper frame material.

An 8 shot Aluminum framed Bearcat with adjustable sights for $300-350? Sign me up, beats a $550 stainless Bearcat that weighs half a pound more.

OK, what is a "kit gun"? It sounds like a gun you make as part of a kit. Does this allow different options or setups? Is it just cheaper to assemble it yourself? Not sure I'm seeing the reasoning.

A couple of years ago I had to return a batch of 63 Heritage Rough Riders to the mfr, because Heritage (owned by Taurus at that point) had forgotten to machine the rear sight on the frame. This caused a major marketing problem, because they had already been advertised as part of the Black Friday special.

OK, what is a "kit gun"? It sounds like a gun you make as part of a kit. Does this allow different options or setups? Is it just cheaper to assemble it yourself? Not sure I'm seeing the reasoning.

Not a kit like a model you put together, kit like kit bag as in the stuff you bring to the woods. And with this stuff would be a small revolver for just plinking or getting rid of pests. Maybe for finishing shots. They were usually .22 but sometimes .32 or .38,though that was pushing the idea.
An old term that we keep around to confuse everyone. Remember, it used to be you had your hunting stuff, now you got bird stuff, deer stuff, elk stuff, duck stuff, etc. simpler times.

Oh gosh. "Kit" is one of those words that internet commandos that want you to think they know more than they do use. (Not here. I'll explain in a second.)

They don't refer to A kit or a PIECE OF A kit. It's Kit. Like half of Kat.

Funniest Youtube I saw on it was about 8 minutes of this guy going on in soliloquy about how his belt was the best kit he owned. He must have said kit about 40 times a minute. All for a belt that you could get just about anywhere. Not a web belt. No MOLLE on it. Just a regular leather belt.

Thankfully, you don't hear it often EXCEPT for "kit gun."

Back
Top Bottom