• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Safe

Are you looking for something for your basement or closet or something nice that people will see infrequently? If it's just for the basement and you don't care if it has a scratch or two, give Eastern Safe Company in Mendon a call. They have used safes at times that are pretty decent deals, especially if you have a bunch of friends that can help you pick it up. If you can wait til spring, they have a tent sale around that time where they sell off their overstock stuff for a good price as well. I got mine there. It's a Cannon American Eagle safe with an electronic keypad. I'm more then happy with it.

I bought a Sentry from Carl at Four Seasons. Cost me around 500. (well actually cost the wife, was a christmas gift) You can see the different ones they offer on thier web site www.fsguns.com

There was a recent thread about gun safes. Do a search and you will find all the info you need.

Lowes has a few right in your price range and size. Here is the one I bought, 14 long gun capacity, very versatile how you set up the interior with adjustable shelves etc.

This one is $397. They have 2 more which are larger.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N=0&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=safe

049074007607.jpg

I bought a Sentry model 7311 at Walmart (appears identical to the 4311 at 4 Seasons) when it was reduced to $349. While I think I got a good deal, it's probably the absolute minimum you'd want in a safe. It's not too heavy for two kids to toss into a truck or van, which is good when you're bringing it home, but not so much if it's being slipped out your back door.
The door looks massive and impervious with all those shiny bolts, but the sides are only .080 thick (a little over 1/16") including paint. Maybe 5 minutes with a Sawzall would peel a side right off. Less time if the safe is located near your tools.
And while I'm at it, since this is Mass. and my guns are of course always locked up and inaccessible, I wouldn't appreciate the keypad loudly beeping at me while I'm sneaking into the safe for a weapon with burglars in the other room. I think I'll disable that.

Costco has some safes similar to the Sentries with an electronic lock, If my memory serves me, I think they were $439. (personaly, I would stick with the combo dial)

You've hit on the weak point - the level of difficulty opening the side door. The diameter and number of locking bolts and hard plate is mostly smoke and mirrors when you're dealing with steel that can be breeched with common tools. Remember, the "Residential Security Container" means the safe is resistant to 5 minutes of attach with tools that can be hand carried.

Some thicknesses:

.0747 - 14 gauge - very low end gun safe
.1046 - 12 guage - low end gun safes
.1345 - 10 guage - common thickness for gun safes
.1793 - 7 guage
.1875 - 3/16" - better gun safes
.1943 - 6 guage

My experience is if your looking for a safe for 10 long and 10 hand its possible you need bigger already.Its a sickness you'll outgrow it shortly IMO

Back
Top Bottom