New schooling on Ham Radio

Hi All,

I'm interested in getting into Ham radio. Where do I start? I know I need a license. How do I study for it? Are there web sites that can help me prepare?

I've started looking at hardware to see the cost to get started. I've been looking at Wouxun KG-UV3D Dual Band Handheld Radio. Does anyone have one? Any feedback you can give me? Is this the best way to start?

When and where does testing take place? I know there are a few clubs out there. Which are the best and when do they meet? What does it take to belong to a club?

As you can tell I'm a real newbie to this, so all the info you can send me would be appreciated.

Thanks
Scooter58

I've used the "Gordo" book for study material as well as other materials given to me by a buddy that is pretty established in the HAM world.

Check for local clubs offering classes and try to sit in on a net test session, or any conversations really.

As for what gear, there's a ton of it and it can be difficult to sort through. For my hand held I went with the recommendation of the guys on my Emergency Management team and my buddy mentioned above:
http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007323

I got a few accessories like a spare battery, better antenna and some other bits - I budgeted $300 and spent a bit more - the quick charger put me over the budget but having seen it in action it was worth it.

Search the Ham Radio forum. There's already 1 or 2 good threads on this topic full of great advice.

If you are located close to the MA North Shore the club in Gloucester is giving their Tech-in-a-Day class on Sat. 10/29. You arrive in the a.m. with $20 and 2 forms of I.D., you study all day and in the late afternoon you take the FCC test. The $20 covers the FCC's $15 test fee, plus the study materials, coffee, sodas and snacks. They do this twice a year, usually have about 15-30 people show up and pretty much everyone passes. Teenagers do it and even my son passed when he was 11.

pm me if you want more info on the class.

Do NOT start out in ham radio with a handheld. Go with a mobile radio from one of the Big 3 - Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood, a big enough power supply, and a decent external antenna. An HT should only be purchased as a second or third addition to the shack.

HTs are only good for hitting local repeaters very close to your location, and the antennas on top are marginal at best. You're going to be seriously disappointed with what you can do if you choose the HT route. Granted, I have a great location, but my Kenwood TM-V71 with Diamond X50 can hit most of the repeaters in Mass, Southern NH, Northern RI and CT.

And personally, I would avoid most of the Chinese junk, and spend a little more for something from the three. The DMR Chinese radios are an exception. They are ok.

Do NOT start out in ham radio with a handheld. Go with a mobile radio from one of the Big 3 - Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood, a big enough power supply, and a decent external antenna. An HT should only be purchased as a second or third addition to the shack.

HTs are only good for hitting local repeaters very close to your location, and the antennas on top are marginal at best. You're going to be seriously disappointed with what you can do if you choose the HT route. Granted, I have a great location, but my Kenwood TM-V71 with Diamond X50 can hit most of the repeaters in Mass, Southern NH, Northern RI and CT.

And personally, I would avoid most of the Chinese junk, and spend a little more for something from the three. The DMR Chinese radios are an exception. They are ok.
I am pretty certain the OP has graduated on their knowledge of Ham radio 9 years later...

Contact me and I will answer your questions and get you going in the right direction. I am not sure where you are located, but if you are close I can give you a demonstration.
PM me and I will give you my phone number.
John N1HM

Back
Top Bottom