New Sedans, Manuals

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’m looking at Honda Sport 2.0T or Jetta GLI Autobahn for new cars.
Manual transmissions

Any of you here drive one?
What’s your Pro/Cons?

I’m 6’5” and can not fit in Ford Fusions as I found out this weekend with a sunroof. I fit in the Honda’s and will need to see if I fit in the VW this week.

Any other similar models I should be considering? Not a huge fan of the look of the Camry’s.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Subaru WRX immediately comes to mind. I was looking at that recently, but then went with a Crosstrek (which I was able to get in manual).

Last edited:

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’m not super sold on their motors (WRX) and the price is a touch steeper than I want to be on them.

TheGreekFreak

NES Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have a '17 GTI but drove a newer GLI recently. Pretty fun for being a good size sedan. No experience with the new accords.

Aside from driving both, I think the selling point of the honda will be brand reliability and for the jetta the nicer interior. I would also imagine the GLI handles better as it shares alot of parts with the GTI.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have not tried a jaguar in a long time, but i remember them having crazy leg room for tall people

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have a '17 GTI but drove a newer GLI recently. Pretty fun for being a good size sedan. No experience with the new accords.

Aside from driving both, I think the selling point of the honda will be brand reliability and for the jetta the nicer interior. I would also imagine the GLI handles better as it shares alot of parts with the GTI.
Don't jettas come standard with shitty vinyl interiors?

TheGreekFreak

NES Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The GLI have leather
Ya, more than the leather its just a nice place to be in for a car in that price point. Was a big factor for me when I narrowed my options down to the wrx and gti. Everything from the steering wheel to the buttons feel nicer than they should for the money.

If you're on top of the maintenance and don't mess around with them a bunch, these new GLIs are pretty solid.....minus the weak ass VW clutch.

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ya, more than the leather its just a nice place to be in for a car in that price point. Was a big factor for me when I narrowed my options down to the wrx and gti. Everything from the steering wheel to the buttons feel nicer than they should for the money.

If you're on top of the maintenance and don't mess around with them a bunch, these new GLIs are pretty solid.....minus the weak ass VW clutch.
What’s weak about the clutch?

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Of those two, Honda is much better for reliability and ergonomics.
Not only that, but if the OP wants stick, Honda is the only way to go.
I've driven them all: Honda, Toyota, Subaru, VW, Mazda, Ford, etc.

Honda makes the #1 best gear boxes, hands down. Mazda is up there as well.

Subaru's gear box is inexcusable. Heavy clutch that catches very late. Stick is so sloppy that missing gears is common. I really hope they update the next gen.

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I’m not super sold on their motors (WRX) and the price is a touch steeper than I want to be on them.
What’s a few head gasket replacements between friends?

I would expect better reliability out of a Honda than a VW, but then my view of VW is based on my 2000 GTI GLX and that car was a shit show from day one.

TheGreekFreak

NES Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
What’s weak about the clutch?
They can't handle much more than stock torque. You would think that isn't a problem as long as you don't add power but the lack of an acceptable safety factor just increases the risk of failure even at stock power. They're also shared across the platform so the golf R has essentially the same PP/DMF as the GTI/GLI despite the increased stock power. There are plenty of accounts of stock golf Rs with slipping clutches.

Anecdotal? Maybe.....but to add to the anecdotal, mine was slipping in fricken 3rd with like 800 miles on the car lol granted that it was a rare case, in fact the only I have heard of that early, but I eventually threw in the most daily friendly performance DMF kit rated to over 400lbft torque just to have some headroom when I tune. It is considered a necessary upgrade when tuning or slip is pretty much guaranteed, not something you see from other brands with conservative power upgrades.

Their DMF setup also takes some getting used to. It has a bit of a delayed response and feels too soft/disengaged from the factory. Some simple cheap mods like removing the delay valve/clutch spring and adding a dogbone insert help but only when putting in my new performance clutch did it start feeling heavy enough for my liking.

Subaru's gear box is inexcusable. Heavy clutch that catches very late. Stick is so sloppy that missing gears is common. I really hope they update the next gen.
I agree if the clutch is the only factor.....but there are so many other things to weigh in. Honda didn't even make my top 3 after weighing everything I wanted in a manual enthusiast-focused sub $30K daily driver.

I agree, the wrx clutch is a bit heavy for a stock clutch. I can see it wearing on someone who isn't used to it. If you don't have a long daily commute in stop and go traffic or hit legs at the gym, its a non issue.

As for the stick, it does take throwing in the STI short throw to make it enjoyable imo. Not an expensive upgrade and I think they offer it as a factory option when you're buying a WRX new. My bro just threw his in after and the difference was night and day.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have an Accord Sport 2.0t, it's a great car, good gas mileage, pretty good size, plenty of power and you can put a tuner on it for a bit better performance.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I love my WRX. Although I miss my '16 Mustang GT. I want a quick, vehicle with a manual. I drive a ton, and it's fine (for me) in stop and go traffic. Id recommend it.

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Update:
The f***ing steering column in the Jetta GLI doesn’t tilt high enough to avoid my knees while turning. I could maybe pull it closer to me and move the seat even further back... from 95% to completely, bleh.
Head room was peaked with the sunroof. I would need to lean the seat back a little more than I had it to really feel the best in it I think.
The few times in life I hate being tall.

EDIT: I watched more reviews on the GLI and knew that the steering wheel wasn’t tilted up all the way based on the videos, I went back and I do indeed fit much better with the wheel tilted proper. No clue why it wouldn’t move for me last night...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Update:
The f***ing steering column in the Jetta GLI doesn’t tilt high enough to avoid my knees while turning. I could maybe pull it closer to me and move the seat even further back... from 95% to completely, bleh.
Head room was peaked with the sunroof. I would need to lean the seat back a little more than I had it to really feel the best in it I think.
Just get the Accord and a ktuner and don't look back.

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
They can't handle much more than stock torque. You would think that isn't a problem as long as you don't add power but the lack of an acceptable safety factor just increases the risk of failure even at stock power. They're also shared across the platform so the golf R has essentially the same PP/DMF as the GTI/GLI despite the increased stock power. There are plenty of accounts of stock golf Rs with slipping clutches.

Anecdotal? Maybe.....but to add to the anecdotal, mine was slipping in fricken 3rd with like 800 miles on the car lol granted that it was a rare case, in fact the only I have heard of that early, but I eventually threw in the most daily friendly performance DMF kit rated to over 400lbft torque just to have some headroom when I tune. It is considered a necessary upgrade when tuning or slip is pretty much guaranteed, not something you see from other brands with conservative power upgrades.

Their DMF setup also takes some getting used to. It has a bit of a delayed response and feels too soft/disengaged from the factory. Some simple cheap mods like removing the delay valve/clutch spring and adding a dogbone insert help but only when putting in my new performance clutch did it start feeling heavy enough for my liking.
How much more would the performance clutch add in cost? I’m not really looking to tune it but just improving life span would be seriously looked at.
I’m not a pro with a manual but I can work one fairly smooth...

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I’m looking at Honda Sport 2.0T or Jetta GLI Autobahn for new cars.
Manual transmissions

Any of you here drive one?
What’s your Pro/Cons?

I’m 6’5” and can not fit in Ford Fusions as I found out this weekend with a sunroof. I fit in the Honda’s and will need to see if I fit in the VW this week.

Any other similar models I should be considering? Not a huge fan of the look of the Camry’s.
I'm 6'2", have a Civic hatch Sport 6MT, and since it has no moonroof I have plenty of headroom. I'm considering a GLI Autobahn as well, I haven't driven it but probably drives like the GTIs I've driven. GTI has slightly more headroom especially in the back seat. But you should be fine in the GLI.

WRX w/ Performance Package deletes the moonroof, then you'd fit. Might be tight with moonroof, it is for me.

There's used BMW 3 series and Alfa Giulia's both have manuals. Not much new under $30k.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Update:
Try the GTI, it fit me better.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

WRX gear box seemed perfectly fine to me. The regular Impreza manual blows.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Of those two, Honda is much better for reliability and ergonomics.
Don't thinK Honda reliability is that good anymore.

My 2017 Civic has been more like a German car. Dashboard shut off while driving, that was freaky. Rear shock replaced within 1 year. Now the AC is having problems at 66k miles. Lots of rattles and buzzes.

Top Bottom