New shotgun law?

Can someone actually post a link to where it is asserted by the AG that "shotguns that hold more than five rounds are banned"?
Still waiting. Neither of the 2 references posted so far say all semi-auto shotguns holding more than five rounds are banned.

This page just says all semi-auto shotguns holding less than 5 rounds are not banned. It does not say the reciprocal, that all semi-auto shotguns holding more than 5 rounds are banned. In this area it does not contradict pre-July 20th law and interpretation where semi-auto shotguns holding more that 5 rounds, but no other banned feature, are not considered assault weapons.

Nothing here. GOAL's page simply reiterates the pre-July 20th law and interpretation.

Still waiting. Neither of the 2 references posted so far say all semi-auto shotguns holding more than five rounds are banned.

This page just says all semi-auto shotguns holding less than 5 rounds are not banned. It does not say the reciprocal, that all semi-auto shotguns holding more than 5 rounds are banned. In this area it does not contradict pre-July 20th law and interpretation where semi-auto shotguns holding more that 5 rounds, but no other banned feature, are not considered assault weapons.

Nothing here. GOAL's page simply reiterates the pre-July 20th law and interpretation.

[FONT=&amp]a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--"

[/FONT]
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'“

I'm really not sure how to interpret (iii) and (iv), as at the end of (iii) there is the word AND.

I think it means the firearm CAN have a Detachable Magazine if that Mag is limited to 5 rounds, and the Shotgun lacks both (i) and (ii). Personally, I'd avoid Shotguns with Detachable Magazines altogether.

Pumps are exempt.

Last edited:
[FONT=&amp]a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--"

[/FONT]
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

I'm really not sure how to interpret (iii) and (iv), as at the end of (iii) there is the word AND.

I think it means the firearm CAN have a Detachable Magazine if that Mag is limited to 5 rounds, and the Shotgun lacks both (i) and (ii). Personally, I'd avoid Shotguns with Detachable Magazines altogether.

Pumps are exempt.
My take is that anyone who can leave this state should.

Own what you want.
Healey will make no arrests.
That wont win in court and then her edict is rolled back.
She wants us all to "think" that what we own, or more importantly "want to own" is illegal.
Sure some will buy, most will not.
Her plan is working...

*sigh* more speculation from gun stores. Can we just file all of this under "don't bother posting, just ignore"?

Doesn't it seem the only thing someone DOES NOT PREDICT is, instead, the exact thing that REALLY HAPPENS ?

Obviously there is no mole in Healey's Office.

Can someone actually post a link to where it is asserted by the AG that "shotguns that hold more than five rounds are banned"?

She doesn't have to it's in MGL and has been covered many times in other threads. There probably isn't a semi auto that complies and non SA could be considered in conflict with the regs as well.

We might be on to something here... What if we push this out to the public and start a widespread movement against shotguns - then the FUDDs will HAVE TO get involved!

You mean like the 50 people at the shotgun shot who didn't feel like joining in for the rally today?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

[FONT=&]a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--"

[/FONT]

I think it means the firearm CAN have a Detachable Magazine if that Mag is limited to 5 rounds, and the Shotgun lacks both (i) and (ii).
You're overthinking it. "And" is used consistently before the last item of the lists of banned features for rifles, pistols and shotguns, preceding by "at least 2 of". The meaning is the same in all cases, any 2 of the items in the respective list make said weapon banned. In this particular case this is made even clearer by the fact that items iii and iv are almost certainly mutually exclusive. I suppose someone could come up with a design that has both a fixed magazine plus a detachable one, but I'm not aware of such a beast.

Personally, I'd avoid Shotguns with Detachable Magazines altogether.
That's your choice, but not necessarily legally required. According to current law a semi-auto shotgun with a detachable magazine of 5 rounds or less (unless it's a preban mag) is legit as long as it has a fixed stock and no pistol grip.

I suppose someone could come up with a design that has both a fixed magazine plus a detachable one, but I'm not aware of such a beast.

In brief, a Bullet Button is a California Compliant part that is substituted for the magazine release on an “Assault Rifle”. The purpose of the California Bullet Button is to create a “non-detachable magazine”.

http://californiabulletbutton.com/

On a related issue:

A Ca Legal Mag Limiter is designed to limit the number of rounds the magazine can physically hold. These magazine limiters allow a 20 or 30 round magazine to be altered to hold 10 rounds and thus be California Compliant.

http://californiabulletbutton.com/

MAG281_PDE_02-e1341536152909-300x168.jpg

Mass Legal ????

Ugh. Not the large-cap pump shotgun bullshit again. Dead. Horse. Beaten.
A Remington 870 7+1 is perfectly legal. Every damn shop in Mass has and will continue to sell these guns.

-JR

Ugh. Not the large-cap pump shotgun bullshit again. Dead. Horse. Beaten.
A Remington 870 7+1 is perfectly legal. Every damn shop in Mass has and will continue to sell these guns.

-JR

Not that I disagree with you, but the same thing could have been said for the AR-15 a month ago.

And, the thread wasn't specific to pumps, although you could buy a semi auto with an extended mag tube as well.

Nothing is perfectly legal in this state.

Not that I disagree with you, but the same thing could have been said for the AR-15 a month ago.

And, the thread wasn't specific to pumps, although you could buy a semi auto with an extended mag tube as well.

Nothing is perfectly legal in this state.

You said it.

Everything we knew is now wrong.

Point taken and duly noted.

All of us should not over think her meaningless words. The way I see it, if you can still buy it at your LGS, it's legal for you to buy. They will be on the hook (mostly) if it's not. I'm not convinced she really cares about 1 or 2 gun owners.

This is not legal advice. ;-)

-JR

In brief, a Bullet Button is a California Compliant part that is substituted for the magazine release on an “Assault Rifle”. The purpose of the California Bullet Button is to create a “non-detachable magazine”.
Not the point I was making. I was talking about a shotgun with 2 magazines, 1 fixed and 1 detachable. A bullet button results in what was considered 1 fixed magazine.

The difference is the AG has put her new rules relative to semi-auto rifles in writing. AFAIC the rules relative to semi-auto shotguns are unchanged pending something from the AGO in writing, or actual legal action. She's made things bad enough with the made up rules she's written down, let's not be giving her more power.

All of us should not over think her meaningless words. The way I see it, if you can still buy it at your LGS, it's legal for you to buy.
Good point. The reverse though is not true: Just because your LGS won't sell it doesn't mean it's illegal.

Back
Top Bottom