• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to Mass. from RI. Applying for LTC

So we all know the horror stories, and rightfully so in a lot of MA. I moved down to Cape Cod a couple years ago from RI. Just started the process to get my LTC. The town I live in provides the Basic Firearms safety course for free to their residents through the police department. I live in Mashpee.

The course was great and the two officers running it were all about everyone having an LTC. They really made me feel like getting it would no sweat. We glanced over the types of licenses given; LTC-A, LTC-B, FID). They mentioned that LTC-B is no longer issued and everyone gets an LTC-A. Is this accurate? I was under the impression that everyone was up in arms about being downgraded to the LTC-B or the FID card. Anyone have any experience with PD's on Cape or MAshpee specifically being an easier process? I suppose Im just shocked after hearing all the stories that my town seems to be very accomodating.

OP:

Welcome.

Yes, the LTC-B is gone, as swatgig said.

As for which towns are better, it's not terribly relevant, as you have to apply in your town of residence, or where you have a business.

Out of curiosity, what course did the cops run, for the LTC?
The class I took was the basic Firearms safety course required to get the LTC. It was a 4 hour class.

OP:

Welcome.

Yes, the LTC-B is gone, as swatgig said.

As for which towns are better, it's not terribly relevant, as you have to apply in your town of residence, or where you have a business.

Out of curiosity, what course did the cops run, for the LTC?
Most PDs are probably running the class Glidden developed for MCOPA, I think that it is LTC-001.

Len,

See reply 11: Is that the Glidden course? I have no experience with that/
From the PDF of approved courses:
Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association Basic Handgun Safety Course LTC-001

Yes, it sounds like it. There is no range time with this course.

I feel like even though MA has no license reciprocity, they should be considering prior licenses in other states as evidence of responsible firearm ownership.

I feel like even though MA has no license reciprocity, they should be considering prior licenses in other states as evidence of responsible firearm ownership.

The COP may when they review applications, especially in towns that give restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom