New to rifle reloading

Ran into some staked primers on 223 brass. Broke a decapping pin on a dillon die set. I have a 550 and was wondering if it makes sense to set up with a single stage for decapping/ sizing purposes. I would also like to know who makes the most durable decapping pin

I do all my .223 decapping/sizing on a Hornady Classic single stage press. I've personally had good luck with the Lee dies, so that's what I use. I don't worry about ow durable they are -- I just keep a good supply or neck sizing/decapping mandrels on hand and re-order when I get to the last one. I don't break as many as I used to though -- I just broke the last one last weekend and it's been so long since I ordered them that it surprised me that I was out.

+1 for the lee decapping die....

I have a dillon 550B toolhead set up with the Lee decapping die and the dillon trim die in positions 1 and 3.... Works really well....[smile]

Setting up a dedicated press would actually be easier but I don't have the room...

I do all my .223 decapping/sizing on a Hornady Classic single stage press. I've personally had good luck with the Lee dies, so that's what I use. I don't worry about ow durable they are -- I just keep a good supply or neck sizing/decapping mandrels on hand and re-order when I get to the last one. I don't break as many as I used to though -- I just broke the last one last weekend and it's been so long since I ordered them that it surprised me that I was out.

i bought a rcbs dedicated decapping die. I had an extra tool head for my 550 so i leave it setup.for 223 i clean the brass, decap, trim to length, clean/chamfer primer pocket, deburr neck then run them through the progressive press.
i trim before sizing because my trimmer opens the neck if i size first.

Hmmmmmm

Extra tool die. I have one of those. Never thought of it. Thanks for the savings

I have NEVER EVER seen a LEE decapping pin break. Are you sure it wasn't an RCBS decapping die?

The RCBS pins are solid, and don't budge. If you bump into something solid, they either break or bend horribly, requiring replacement!

The LEE decapping pins, on the other hand, are set in a collet, and if it bumps into something solid, it merely slides up into the collet, requiring only a reset of the pin. I've never seen one break.

Military brass has the crimp, and that has to be dealt with, BEFORE re-priming. So, I do the decapping (without resizing) with a universal decapping tool (Lee) off line, then run them all through the Dillon Super Swage offline, and then reintroduce the brass to the system, and let it rip!

The flash holes on 5.56 brass are typically "punched", which leave a burr on the inside of the case. When using the Dillon Super Swage, the push pin sometimes flattens the flash hole burr, closing the hole somewhat. By doing the full length sizing later, I get the chance to run the decapping pin through that hole again, thereby opening it back up. Of course on the second trip through that hole with the decapping pin, there's no primer in the way.

I have NEVER EVER seen a LEE decapping pin break. Are you sure it wasn't an RCBS decapping die?

The RCBS pins are solid, and don't budge. If you bump into something solid, they either break or bend horribly, requiring replacement!

The LEE decapping pins, on the other hand, are set in a collet, and if it bumps into something solid, it merely slides up into the collet, requiring only a reset of the pin. I've never seen one break.

Military brass has the crimp, and that has to be dealt with, BEFORE re-priming. So, I do the decapping (without resizing) with a universal decapping tool (Lee) off line, then run them all through the Dillon Super Swage offline, and then reintroduce the brass to the system, and let it rip!

I use rcbs dies to load 223 for my ar's in my Dillon 550. I have 2 sets of dies and i run the seater/crimp die high enough that it only seats the bullet. i run a second seat/crimp die in the 4th station (minus the seating post) so i can control the amount of crimp i put on.

For decapping, i use a rcbs decapping die. This die like the lee uses a collet and replacable decaping pin.

Back
Top Bottom