New to the forum

Hey folks,

I'm new to the forum. Had my license since I was a kid, but never got too deep into it. My call is N9ILL. I have a Tech + license. Had to do the code for my Novice. Looking to get into this now that I have settled down in SE MA. Anyone out there have a 2M rig they may want to part with? I don't want to spend a bunch of $$ right now, but a hand held would be nice. I would like to begin meeting local Hams in my area and having some fun.

Bob

You are able to purchase a mobile (not HT) through HRO or other dealers (2meter rigs) for under $140.00.
You may purchase HT (Baofeng) for around $40.00 which will give you 2 meters and 70 cm + FM.
Locate where the local clubs are and become a member.

Currently studying for my Extra and practicing on my Iambic key to get Morse Code Down using Iambic method.

K1RQS

Welcome Bob!
I would start with a $40 Baofeng. You've probably seen the long thread here on the UV-5R. It's a perfectly good radio and in a couple of ways I like it better than my Yaesu FT-60R.

If you're thinking "what can I do with 5W?" the answer is almost as much with 50W. The UV-5R will receive as well as any mobile rig, and since 1 S-unit is a 4:1 difference, the difference between 5W and 50W is about 1.5 S-units. A good antenna at home and in the car will make it perfectly useable.

Do I need to get Technician first or can I go right to General?

If you have no license at all, you still have to take the Tech test first, but you can take that and the General in the same sitting, for the same price. You can go all the way to Extra if you pass the other two.
It's not unheard of that someone goes from nothing to Extra in one night, in fact another member in here did it.

Morse isn't required for any level. So you can now be an Extra No-Code.

Thanks! When I last looked into getting licensed about 8 years ago it was still required for anything above technician. I'll definitely have to look into brushing up and taking the tests.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I bought one of the Baofeng uv-5ra, what's the best way to program it when it gets here? Been doing some research on CHIRP software, is this going to get me started here in Ma.

Yes. CHIRP and the cable between the PC and the Baofeng is all you need. You will also need the freq's of the local repeaters.

I hear that instead of manually typing things into Chirp you can download the repeaters you want from repeaterbook.com directly into Chirp. I need to try that.

Yes. CHIRP and the cable between the PC and the Baofeng is all you need. You will also need the freq's of the local repeaters.

I ordered the cable also a hand held mic. can't wait til it gets here so I can start listening. I ordered the tech book too.

I ordered the cable also a hand held mic. can't wait til it gets here so I can start listening. I ordered the tech book too.

You need a call sign to really use repeaterbook.com. I have a CSV file of all the MA repeaters, MURS, GMRS and some of the police frequencies. I can give you a copy if you want it. CHIRP can read it and load it into your radio.

I should have bought the handheld mic right off the bat. After a lengthy rag chew with another NESer my thumb was killing me from keying the Baofeng.

As you guessed from the prior replies, you do not need a Morse requirement to pass you license exam.

I am looking to pass my Tech and General exams. Extra+ would be a plus (no pun intended).

A handheld mic is a good thing, I have one for my Baofeng. Programming it was a bit of a PITA (repeaters were troublesome) but some wise souls on NES helped me out, and they will do the same for you!

Back
Top Bottom