• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to USPSA

So this weekend I had the pleasure to attend a weekend training to USPSA. First thank you to all the Heavy Hitters of Hopkinton Sports Club. This was a well organized event. They took the time to explain not only the rules of the sport but engage all those that attended the event. I strongly encourage all to at least attend an event like this. With that said I realized this weekend I have a lot to learn. This was a very humbling experience but I also learned that there were people there that have voluntered their free time to help me get better. There are to many things that I need to work on, starting number one my grip. I am commited to doing that. With that said what was some of your pain points entering this sport?

was there as well, very eye opening for sure LOL!
A great bunch of guys ran this weekend. The Heavy Hitters rocked it.
Everyone that attended was very cool.
Learned a whole hell of a lot , ....learned I've got a whole hell of a lot more learn.
Can't wait to start hitting some matches.

Man oh man you can drop some serious $$$$$ in this sport LOL!

Last edited:
With that said what was some of your pain points entering this sport?

Awesome that you are getting into USPSA, great sport with awesome people that are always willing to help a new shooter.

The pain points starting off were to shoot at the speed of the better shooters. It is easy to get caught in the speed trap, but the sport is Time and Accuracy. Shoot for accuracy, do everything else for time. Then learn to shoot sooner, not faster. And eventually shoot faster.

2nd pain point was trying to learn on my own. Highly suggest good training as early as possible. It will prevent you from having to get out of training ruts

I was at the event myself and props to all that volunteered their time and knowledge. Too bad they only do this once a year but with all the effort and planning can understand why.

Regarding pain points entering the sport was not getting into it sooner and spending too much time talking about it, watching YouTube and reading forums. Just get out there and get hands on experience in an Intro to USPSA class like this one to learn how to SAFELY and effciently play the sport. Like Supermoto and many from the class pointed out... don't shoot for speed, it'll come. I think I had the fastest time but ended up near the middle of the pack (still beat you Nick).

When I was doing it years back (been about two decades since I was in my last competition) the biggest pain point was budget. Not really a pain point, but can be to some, was ammo... If you reload, then you're in a better spot since you can make loads exactly as your gun needs. I made mine with heavy (255gr) projectiles (.45ACP) moving just fast enough to make major PF.

As already mentioned, the "slow is fast" model really comes into play when you start out. Especially if you're going with a limited class pistol. Hell, even in open class, you don't want to rush things.

I had picked up a speed holster back when I was shooting IPSC, along with several magazine holders from the same maker. I still have it. Minimal movement needed to get the gun clear of the holster (up maybe an inch, then forward).

I would also advise practicing as MUCH as possible on your own. Even if it's just on the draw from holster (in your home).

So this weekend I had the pleasure to attend a weekend training to USPSA. First thank you to all the Heavy Hitters of Hopkinton Sports Club. This was a well organized event. They took the time to explain not only the rules of the sport but engage all those that attended the event. I strongly encourage all to at least attend an event like this. With that said I realized this weekend I have a lot to learn. This was a very humbling experience but I also learned that there were people there that have voluntered their free time to help me get better. There are to many things that I need to work on, starting number one my grip. I am commited to doing that. With that said what was some of your pain points entering this sport?
USPSA has some of the best folks I have had the pleasure to get to know. Don't stop at the class. Attend our next match and you will find that most shooters have the desire to help you enjoy our sport and improve and do both safely.

The pain point for me has been firearm/division choice. I have been all over the place with this. I really want to use my EDC which is a CZ P-07 for comps, however this is not ideal for production with the short barrel and short sight radius. I’m feel I at a disadvantage at some stages (maybe I’m not) with longer shots. This was made evident by my results yesterday where I scored 2nd in production on stage 3 with the shorter distance targets , but mid to back of the field in stages 1 & 2 where some of the shots were longer. I really shouldn’t care and I should just go with it and have fun, which I did. However, there is a competitive side to me that wants to do well and see measurable progress.

I’m hoping with practice and an improvement with an issue that I have with my hand (from a previous injury) I can gain confidence with my chosen firearm and my ability.

Have to reiterate the speed comment above. Trying to go fast actually slows you down with the inevitable misses. Just remember slow and steady IS fast. How did the M&P run for you?

That was a blast, I am totally hooked!
Can't wait to get back!
Pain points:
1: Planning your run. I was doing well until the end of the day when the instructors jumped in and ran the middle course a couple of time. I realized that my plans were pretty basic and not squeezing every opportunity out of every position. The problem I had was sticking to the plan once I started running around. Planning reloads seems the most challenging.
2: Situational awareness and tunnel vision. I think this is partly due to the newness of dynamic shooting and awareness of the clock.
Its amazing what you don't notice when you are running and focused on targets. Things like: round counts, not noticing slide lock, hearing a steel target hit but not noticing it if it fell or not. As the day went on it started feeling more comfortable but still I feel like I had blinders on. Looking forward to sorting that out.
3: Finding the dot. I think I was the only one running around with a red dot, but it definitely presents some challenges. This is the biggest change from the flat range for me. Finding the dot in awkward off centered positions is a thing that I am going to be working on hard during dry fire. It's non-trivial.
BUT once you find the "red-dot fairy" it's friggin on!

It ran well. Me on the other hand. I have some work to do. I may adjust the grips.
Have to reiterate the speed comment above. Trying to go fast actually slows you down with the inevitable misses. Just remember slow and steady IS fast. How did the M&P run for you?

Last edited:
Glad everyone had a good time! I spent a season or two chasing SuperMoto around stages just after I took the class (before he fled South) and his advice is spot on. There’s plenty of time to be saved and reinvested back into well aimed shots!

Run whatever rig you currently have for a few matches, it’s too soon to be making any real decisions on equipment. Talk to squad mates at matches about their gear, what they like and don’t like about their setups. People that have been in the game for a few seasons have probably been through some gear and can give some good advice

I attended as well. This was an extremely well run class, excellent instructors that had a lot of great info and was a lot of fun.

-KevinF

Back
Top Bottom