NEW vanity call sign! I got WX1USN

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
I have been N1USD forever but always wanted it to end in USN, being former Navy '72-'76

I learned about vanity calls and there are places that will charge you to do the paperwork, also the FCC is now charging $35 for a vanity call, so I decided to do it myself.

I search and then saw that W's now have 2 digits for the prefix and I am a weather nut (have an official Skywarn number) and WX1USN was available!

I filled out the paper work and put in only the one callsign so if I didn't get it I would keep my old number, but I nailed it!

I have had too many compliments to count!

WX1USN Jeff

Whew, that's a mouthful phonetically. But cool nonetheless, especially since you can just give it as "US Navy" and most people will get it.

I have been N1USD forever but always wanted it to end in USN, being former Navy '72-'76 ... and I am a weather nut (have an official Skywarn number) ...
6dylrb.jpg

I have been thinking of getting a shorter call sign for ease of getting into CW at some point. Nothing available tempts me to go thru the work and my call feels and looks rite

🎶 Close enough to perfect, for meeee 🎶🎶

KC1OSE

It's cool that you got exactly the one you wanted. When I saw how the system worked it seemed like a bit of a crap shoot. Good idea to only pick one.

I was N1USD but always wanted USN and don't know if I will ever get back into CW, want to do FT8 first
FT8 yields some satisfying QSO’s. I could see wanting to pass the time during a slow winter by learning CW. Just because i like the vintage ways and keeping things like that form dying with my generation

Shoot.

U?

Umbrella, uxbridge, urinal, underpants, ultra. Damn it.

What is U?

Oh right. Nevermind. uniform. :D

Congrats OP on the cool vanity call.

It's cool that you got exactly the one you wanted. When I saw how the system worked it seemed like a bit of a crap shoot. Good idea to only pick one.
There's insane competition for 1x2's (and 2x1's).

People mail in obituaries to the FCC to start the 2-year clock on
open season for silent keys' calls.

And there used to be a vanityhq.com site that
gave the precise timing to use to submit a change request
to be one of the up to 2-dozen guys to apply for the same
call on the first day it became available.

Timing so precise that it knew which days of the week
the FCC computer operators ate a bigger breakfast,
and so took an extra half hour before running the batch job.

Worse, now for the first time in decades (if ever),
they don't let you apply for a refund if you don't win the lottery.

But no one cares about 2x2, 1x3 and 2x3 calls that no one cares about.

Shoot.
U?
Umbrella, uxbridge, urinal, underpants, ultra. Damn it.
What is U?
Oh right. Nevermind. uniform. :D
The Bride guessed "Uruguay".

I am probably one of the few people who went from a 1x3 to a 2x3 but I love that call and am getting the license plate for it as well!
I have been waiting a year for mass ham plate!
I have seen all sorts of other new vanity plates. Flying around and I checked on the status 4 months ago and they claimed basically a tooling problem

wonderful, they cashed my check fast enough
Update on my mass ham plate.

april last year I applied for the plate on the mass Rmv website and checked on the status late last year and was told there was a issue with the plate making process
when I checked in December i also asked about my reg status because of the plate request it showed online that my reg was expiring in December although my paper reg said may of this year. the contact at the special plates Rmv said I would be all set and not to worry.

today I decided to check again because I still don’t have the plate and the reg is up for renewal, AND the mass.gov website says my reg is expired even though my paper reg says good.

apparently per the special plates dept phone call today, I should have never been able to do the ham plate application online! So now I have to do a registration and title application thru my insurance and rmv (via email thank god) and then wait another 8-10 weeks for the cussed plate.

I didn’t drive the truck from Jan to march but I have been wheeling around going to the range. With what a police reg computer would show a expired registration!!

7trees to me

I will give a call to the special plates dept, although I had to print out all the info for the application and mailed it in, not online....
Your probably fine. Apparently It was a glitch in the system in April of 2021. Sounds like 50 people got caught up in the mess.

(857) 368-8031 is the special plate departments phone number if you end up needing it

Were you breaking in the new call this past Sunday by any chance? I forget if it was someone calling a POTA activator or someone doing the Florida QSO party but I definitely heard a USN suffix. I couldn't make out the prefix.

Were you breaking in the new call this past Sunday by any chance? I forget if it was someone calling a POTA activator or someone doing the Florida QSO party but I definitely heard a USN suffix. I couldn't make out the prefix.

I was doing both, the Florida QSO party and have been doing a bunch of POTA parks

Back
Top Bottom