New York City wants to DNA test every gun recovered

What I got out of this is if I look at a gun in New York at a FFL I should consider wiping it down. Also- armorer's and FFL's might get a free pass.

My DNA is on at least 100 guns i don't own or even have access to, and there is probably a dozen peoples DNA on some of my guns, which they don't have unsupervised access to.

I don't see how this could possibly go wrong...[rolleyes]

How about fixing the root cause, juries don't trust the cops, by holding cops accountable when they lie or break the law and getting rid of all the special treatment for cops in the laws. Wouldn't having more trustworthy cops be a better end result.

This testing will only muddy the waters.

If you so much as pick up a gun, it will have DNA on it.

Enough to sample.

There will be so many DNA suspects that each gun tested could have dozens of suspects now.

If the government has so much time and money to test DNA - how about the million plus rape kits that were never tested.

O J Simpson beat the rap for two murders because jury members didn't believe and/or didn't understand DNA evidence that showed there was blood from three people at the scene and one walked away.

This testing will only muddy the waters.

If you so much as pick up a gun, it will have DNA on it.

Enough to sample.

There will be so many DNA suspects that each gun tested could have dozens of suspects now.

If the government has so much time and money to test DNA - how about the million plus rape kits that were never tested.

The PD won't care about the possibly dozens of DNA samples on a gun. They already have their minds made up as to the guilt or innocence of their suspect and as long as that suspect's DNA shows up, it's all good.

The PD won't care about the possibly dozens of DNA samples on a gun. They already have their minds made up as to the guilt or innocence of their suspect and as long as that suspect's DNA shows up, it's all good.

Probably this. And...you really probably have to do alot of handling of the gun to get enough DNA on it to test it. Every time I use any of mine, they are either thoroughly cleaned or wiped down, just by doing this, i'm probably removing any testable DNA, and at the very least tainting it by smearing it around the gun with powder residue and gun oil.

FallingDown_165Pyxurz.jpg

I couldn't possibly see a dirty police officer or DA using this improperly to convict someone![rolleyes]

Police call you to go down to the station to talk about something stolen from your yard.
They ask if you would like a drink of water. Sure you say as it's hotter then hell in the room they have you in.

Everything goes fine till a few days later when the swat team shows up at your door due to your dna being found on a firearm used in a murder..

Remember that drink of water in the cup you had...

Or that 10 round magazine you sold on E-Bay!

Last edited:
O J Simpson beat the rap for two murders because jury members didn't believe and/or didn't understand DNA evidence that showed there was blood from three people at the scene and one walked away.

He got off cause people in LA don't trust the LAPD, at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, except that every DNA on the gun will go into a database, and if they match it to you, your name will now be on record tagged to a murder.

Who's to say your name won't pop up on the laptop of the next jacked up cop who pulls you over for failing to signal?

I couldn't possibly see a dirty police officer or DA use this improperly to convict someone![rolleyes]

Police call you to go down to the station to talk about something stolen from your yard.
They ask if you would like a drink of water. Sure you say as it's hotter then hell in the room they have you in.

Everything goes fine till a few days later when the swat team shows up at your door due to your dna being found on a firearm used in a murder..

Can you really transfer a finger print from cup to gun, I thought that was only possible in Mission Impossible?

I agree though, someone will start misusing this and eventually juries will start ignoring DNA evidence, ruining it as a technique for law enforcement.

How about fixing the root cause, juries don't trust the cops, by holding cops accountable when they lie or break the law and getting rid of all the special treatment for cops in the laws. Wouldn't having more trustworthy cops be a better end result.
I sat on a jury in Boston where the only prosecution witnesses were the two arresting officers. It became apparent rather quickly that they were lying and that the only reason the guy was on trial was to try and prevent an excessive force law suit and payout.
Two big, well muscled cops that had a combined weight >400# beat the crap out of a young man who was drunk, about 5'6" and maybe 125 pounds.
Not Guilty.

I couldn't possibly see a dirty police officer or DA using this improperly to convict someone![rolleyes]

Hill Street Blues . . . years ago. Yes that works well.

I sat on a jury in Boston where the only prosecution witnesses were the two arresting officers. It became apparent rather quickly that they were lying and that the only reason the guy was on trial was to try and prevent an excessive force law suit and payout.
Two big, well muscled cops that had a combined weight >400# beat the crap out of a young man who was drunk, about 5'6" and maybe 125 pounds.
Not Guilty.
And of course the cops weren't charged with lying under oath.

I don't know that we can/should stop them from doing the testing if they're stupid enough to waste money doing it, but I would hope any half decent lawyer could get the connection thrown out in a heartbeat.

Of course, that leaves you down about $10k simply because you once handled a firearm that was later stolen and used in a gang killing...

The next big thing to hit the market... Gun cleaning products designed to breakdown DNA. "Breakfree of DNA" So who wants in on the ground floor?

i use DNAses all the time. Many of them require Mg salts through. Not sure that good for finishes.
emd benzonase is the super fast one. You could shut down a sequencing lab with an aerosol form of that stuff.

Because the NYPD is way more interested than making sure there are rape victims by banning guns than they are interested in stopping rape.

Back
Top Bottom