New York long gun sales, live in MA

Hello all, I am visiting New York for the Christmas and new years. My uncle is willing to purchase me a hunting rifle for the holidays. I will obviously be looking for a MA compliant/ FID compliant rifle but will i have to transfer to an FFL or can I carry it back with me as long as its locked in a case and under my direct supervision. As well as that wouldn't the gun sales be different because NY and MA have a different systematic gun sales process?

He cannot give the gun directly to you, since you are residents of different states. Here are legal options.

1. He gives you money or a gift card, you buy the rifle yourself at a NY gun store. I think they still do sales to non-residents.

2. He buys you a rifle, sends it to an MA FFL to transfer it to you.

3. He buys you a rifle, you and he go to an MA FFL to transfer it to you.

For a MA compliant/NY compliant "fudd" long gun, NY is actually less restrictive than MA and doesn't require licensing for possession. You can legally possess the rifle in NY without a hassle.

You would have to purchase it in NY, and have the FFL ship it to a Mass FFL, where you would fill out the 4473 and take possession.

His uncle could do the purchase and shipment. I am guessing you are thinking that there would be a straw purchase problem with this, but there isn't. Straw purchase only applies when the money is being given by the person who ends up with the gun - gifts are legal.

Sorry for the confusion I will be the one taking ownership of the rifle but he will be purchasing it. We are both licensed but in different states. So technically speaking I can just have him give me money to make a long gun purchase but I would have to male sure its MA compliant or else when it reaches Four Seasons it will be sent right back I assume?

you don't need to ship it to an FFL. drive it back, it's legal for you to buy long guns in other states and transport them back

He cannot give the gun directly to you, since you are residents of different states. Here are legal options.

1. He gives you money or a gift card, you buy the rifle yourself at a NY gun store. I think they still do sales to non-residents.

2. He buys you a rifle, sends it to an MA FFL to transfer it to you.

3. He buys you a rifle, you and he go to an MA FFL to transfer it to you.

For a MA compliant/NY compliant "fudd" long gun, NY is actually less restrictive than MA and doesn't require licensing for possession. You can legally possess the rifle in NY without a hassle.

Reps on the way for use of Fudd

Sorry for the confusion I will be the one taking ownership of the rifle but he will be purchasing it. We are both licensed but in different states. So technically speaking I can just have him give me money to make a long gun purchase but I would have to male sure its MA compliant or else when it reaches Four Seasons it will be sent right back I assume?

This is not a safe assumption, if you are worried about compliance. Different shops are different. Some are probably overly cautious, some would transfer you what the state of MA considers to be an "assault weapon". Do your homework.

If you find a shop that does compliance work (1776 used to, but they moved to florida), then you don't have to worry so much about it getting sent back. The shop can check it over and do the work if it needs done.

You would have to purchase it in NY, and have the FFL ship it to a Mass FFL, where you would fill out the 4473 and take possession.

You should be able to purchase it in NY yourself, and then just register it it yourself once you get to MA.
No need to ship to an FFL in MA if you buy it yourself I believe.

If the uncle purchases it, then the uncle would need to send it to an MA FFL to transfer it.

you don't need to ship it to an FFL. drive it back, it's legal for you to buy long guns in other states and transport them back

Agreed.

Why ship it to an FFL in MA, etc. Get the money from the uncle, buy the long gun at an FFL and bring it back with you. You Can buy long guns in other states (from a dealer) and take them home with you. Handguns require shipping to your state os residence and picked up at an FFL.

Simplest to have him call your favorite MA shop, get a price for what he wants to give you, and give you a check. Saves hassle, shipping and transfer fees.

Mass has too many rules, I know that NY has more lienent gun laws and that it would seem easy to get a non-mass compliant firearm. I don't want be in a spot where NY is trying to sell me an MP15-22 when I can't even have it under an FID. Or getting a non-mass rifle that I overlooked and brought it back. So, it seems that it would be more logical fot me just to get christmas cash and just buy a gun at my local shop instead.

Should be an issue with a fudd gun. Does it comply with the AWB in MA, NY's is stricter than MA's now I believe.

I'm dealing with Ny to Ma issues as well with 2 grandfather's and their collections. Don't worry about an mp15-22 in NY. They won't have them, as it violates Safe Act. Pistol grip, over 7 rounds mag capacity, etc.

Like others have said, you don't need to send it to a mass ffl! That's hand guns only. If the stock is pinned I wouldn't worry about it. I had a 15-22 with an fid, big deal!

Mass has too many rules, I know that NY has more lienent gun laws and that it would seem easy to get a non-mass compliant firearm. I don't want be in a spot where NY is trying to sell me an MP15-22 when I can't even have it under an FID. Or getting a non-mass rifle that I overlooked and brought it back. So, it seems that it would be more logical fot me just to get christmas cash and just buy a gun at my local shop instead.

Actually, it's the opposite. NY SAFE act is more strict than MA AWB.

I won't even look at rifles when I'm home visiting the parents in upstate NY. During my thanksgiving visit, I watched a man get the Dicks perp walk to the entrance where the state troopers were waiting. They had him open up his box to reveal his savage bolt action and followed him in their vehicles lights flashing as he walked to his car. I hope this isn't standard practice but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I won't even look at rifles when I'm home visiting the parents in upstate NY. During my thanksgiving visit, I watched a man get the Dicks perp walk to the entrance where the state troopers were waiting. They had him open up his box to reveal his savage bolt action and followed him in their vehicles lights flashing as he walked to his car. I hope this isn't standard practice but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Tell me you're joking.

Hello all, I am visiting New York for the Christmas and new years. My uncle is willing to purchase me a hunting rifle for the holidays. I will obviously be looking for a MA compliant/ FID compliant rifle but will i have to transfer to an FFL or can I carry it back with me as long as its locked in a case and under my direct supervision. As well as that wouldn't the gun sales be different because NY and MA have a different systematic gun sales process?

Martha is that you?

Umm.. yeah i don't think I'll be buying in NY now that I heard that story. Needless to say I will be in Rochester NY. I was planning to go to the local Gander Mountain or just a regular shop but nevermind. I also thought you couldn't have an MP15-22 with an FID? I wouldv'e just gotten one already.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah I'm not Martha lol

Like others have said, you don't need to send it to a mass ffl! That's hand guns only. If the stock is pinned I wouldn't worry about it. I had a 15-22 with an fid, big deal!

Depending on when this occurred you could have been OK or a felon in possession of a large capacity firearm. See my comment below.

Tell me you're joking.

Unfortunately, I'm not. This happened in Saratoga Springs NY on Black Friday. My guess is the troopers were already there supplementing the local police and needed something to do.

Well, they don't call it Dick's without a good reason!!

Umm.. yeah i don't think I'll be buying in NY now that I heard that story. Needless to say I will be in Rochester NY. I was planning to go to the local Gander Mountain or just a regular shop but nevermind. I also thought you couldn't have an MP15-22 with an FID? I wouldv'e just gotten one already.

You are correct. A few years ago the 15-22 was specifically added to the large capacity roster. Therefore, regardless of mags or stock, possession with an FID is a felony in MA.

He should just give you the money and you come home and buy the rifle of your choice in Massahhhchoosetts

Back
Top Bottom