• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NEWB questions on 2 meter use

Just a NEWB here, with a brand new technicians license..

I've got a small KAITO 1120 receiver for MW and SW ( 3 Mhz to 29.99 Mhz) listening..

and a cheap handheld FM 2 meter transceiver ( HT ?) - a chinese made Puxing PX777 ( ya I know it's probably ( definately ?) crap, but it's what I have to start out with now).

I'm in southern NH west of Nashua, and work in Westford MA area..

I've set the channels to scan thru the repeater frequency settings for the nearest locations for now - ones in Milford, Hollis, Nasua NH, and the Westford repeater(s), Concord, etc..

either I'm doing something wrong in the setup, or the radio is defective, or the 2m activity is minimal to nonexistant....

up to today I had never heard anything on the radio...but working from home today, I had it on, and scanning thru the channels I had set, and I FINALLY heard someone transmit briefly...two call signs, and then a brief ( several seconds) of CW code. Not sure what channel it was, because as soon as it stopped the radio started the scan sweep..

So this makes me feel a little better....that at least the radio CAN receive...still have no idea if it can transmit though

Is there any guide or website that provides a little more detail and description of how 2m and repeaters all work...and how to use the HT ?

My question is in regards to how far is your transmission repeated or sent on...how many repeater jumps happen when you send a transmission, when you transmit and are saying your're on the air and monitoring ( basically looking to talk to anyone interested..)

Other questions - the HT only has the rubber small antenna....what would you recommend for a magnet mount to attach to it for mobile ?

Sorry for the NEWB questions...[smile]

I would dial up the westford repeater and if it's quiet give out your call sign and say listening. If anyone calls back tell them your new and start chatting.

I would dial up the westford repeater and if it's quiet give out your call sign and say listening. If anyone calls back tell them your new and start chatting.
And even if no one calls back, watch your S-meter and listen for the repeater's "tail" after you un-key the mic. Most repeaters will continue to transmit for a couple seconds after you un-key. It will be dead air but you'll know you hit the repeater and will be able to see how strong its signal is in your location.

ETA: But don't "kerchunk" the repeater by keying the mic without saying your call sign.

Back
Top Bottom