• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newb reloading question - load data/recipes

Just getting into reloading, recently built a bench and got my press set up and have actually loaded my first 15-20 rounds of 9mm which performed excellent at the range. My questions involve load data/recipes:
I'm loading for 9mm. I have a pound of Power Pistol powder (recommended by a friend) but cannot seem to find an exact load for the projectiles I have, which are Winchester jacketed HPs 147 gr. I found a load from the Alliant website for 147 gr. 9mm, but the projectile they specify is a 147 gr. Speer GDHP.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=147&shellid=23&bulletid=27
Can I use the Winchester HP's I have and subsitute them in this load? As a general rule, when looking at different loads for a specific powder, if you match the projectile weight, is it safe to subsitute other brands or styles, or must you adhere strictly to the bullet specified?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

IMO, don't experiment.

That being said, don't experiment.

You mention that you're new to reloading...before you proceed, you should read some basic info - the ABC's of reloading is oftern recomended here.

The different styles of bullets may have characteristics that can cause trouble.

After you've been doing it for a while, you will most likely have the experience and skill to make up your own recipies, but in the mean time, don't experiment.

just my .02

I concur with Mr. Happy.

Especially when you are beginning, stick specifically and exactly to the load data given in the reload data book you are using.

No substituting.

If you're unsure, call the powder manufacturer that you are working with for your powder.

Thank you for the info guys - appreciated. I absolutely am not contemplating experimenting with and substituting load data or components. I understand that the manuals are the only place to seek reliable load data - and have read the Lee Manual cover to cover a few times (though I've seen a few posts indicating that this may not be one of the 'better' sources). You've answered my question - thanks!

Lyman has a graet casting loadbook. You are just gonna have to get a book. Don't blow up a gun or injure yourself on what someone else says. +1 on the ABCs of reloading. And remember , name brand& #### is just that and its differnt. Such as IMR and Hodgen both may have a 4350 or 3031 and thay are not the same.

Another great point RugerBob!! There are IMR and Hodgden powders such as 4895, 4320, etc that are named IMR4320 and H4320. They are SIMILAR, but NOT the same!!!! Do NOT substitute one for the other and make sure you are sure which one is the right one. Look in a good reloading data book or on Hodgden's website at their data and they give load data for both IMR and H powders and they are different by a little bit. WHen you are getting up close to max loads, these differences can bit yer ass fast!! Like everyone else said, use load data from books first and once you have been doing it for a while and understand all the various things that go into blowing up a gun, you can begin to mess around a bit. This is typically after YEARS of reloading though. I have been handloading for over 10yrs and I still don't consider myself to know enough to really mess around too much. Only way I ever try anything different is by verifying with some reliable sources and cross referencing load data and pressures and about 20 different other variables!!

Chris
www.woodenammo.com

Back
Top Bottom