• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newbie Question on compact vs. subcompact pistol

Parker Schreiber

NES Member
I literally haven't shot a handgun in something like 40 years, and I wasn't particularly good with one back then. How much more difficult is it to competently shoot a pistol like a Glock 26 than a Glock 19? Assume a once-a-week practice regimen and a willingness to pay for some coaching/training. Thanks in advance!

I literally haven't shot a handgun in something like 40 years, and I wasn't particularly good with one back then. How much more difficult is it to competently shoot a pistol like a Glock 26 than a Glock 19? Assume a once-a-week practice regimen and a willingness to pay for some coaching/training. Thanks in advance!
Its as easy as any other gun. Just takes practice and more practice. Dry firing is excellent, especially during an ammo drought.

It is harder to shoot a smaller pistol fast and accurately compared with a bigger one, all else equal. More recoil and blast, shorter sight radius, small grip, etc.
Suggest getting an instructor who's attained at least USPSA B class or IDPA M as a first step in weeding out posers.

If you're committed to routine practice with a competent instructor, the difference is how much having your pinky around the grip on the 19 vs not on the 26 (without extension) matters to you and probably best informed by your purpose: Target, CCW, Home Defense, Insurrection, etc.

Most people I've come across that try a bunch of different subcompact 9mm will find one that they can shoot well and feels just right in their hand.

If you're committed to routine practice with a competent instructor, the difference is how much having your pinky around the grip on the 19 vs not on the 26 (without extension) matters to you and probably best informed by your purpose: Target, CCW, Home Defense, Insurrection, etc.

Most people I've come across that try a bunch of different subcompact 9mm will find one that they can shoot well and feels just right in their hand.
Thanks. This would be for CCW plus practice.

I don't believe there's any kind of standardized definition- its really just variations of small medium and large.
In terms of glock- the 26 will leave your pinky hanging and maybe half your ring finger depending on how big your mitts are. The 19 I can get almost a full purchase on- like 95%+.

I recommend the 19 to everyone. It's still easily concealable.

What do you mean by competently?

IMHO

The 26 is a good gun, but the 43X has relegated quite a few of them to the safe,

The reason being the grip, much like a J frame revolver, it is hard to get lots of fingers around it because the grip is not very long.

Many people in free states add a +2 baseplate which solves the problem, or in MA a different base plate that does not add capacity but gives a bettter grip.

Many people do well with only a couple of fingers around the grip, some don't.

You really need to try a 26 and see if you are comfortable and accurate with it, that is the true test.

BTW a 19 and 43X are almost identical in size except for the thickness.

Try a Sig P365 too

just get the gun that you shoot best.....I dont consider it a "compact" but its not full size ....my 4013 fits my hand nice and I shoot it well and it packs away on my hip well. I have tried others and I always come back to my 4013 or my 1911. If Im looking for deep concealment I run my SW 38spl in a pocket holster

I've owned the 26 and the 19. I hated the 26, it bit into one of my knuckles. Loved the 19, but I didn't carry it. I carry a 42 or a S&W J frame. You really have to try the different guns for yourself to see what you're most comfortable with.

now is not a good time to buy handgun...no ammo . get a shotgun [rofl]... that wut biden said few years ago

My 2 cents, Generally compact is slightly smaller than full size and not much different to shoot. Subcompact your pinky finger might not be on the grip 100%, not at all impossible to shoot well but might require more trigger time vs a compact to be competent/confident. Then micro compact like a SIG 365, if you're good with a sub compact then you'll be able to be good with a smaller gun like this with not much more trigger time. Micro much easier to carry, carry year round and more options to carry on your person. Visually Compare Pistol And Revolver Dimensions, Weight, Capacity, And More | Handgun Hero

Last edited:
I love glocks but did not like very much shooting any of its subcompacts. Then got sig p365 and that worked. It is quite personal, so, you should try it yourself.

I'd suggest figuring out which gun you shoot most "competently," then figuring out how to carry it no matter what size it is. You can adequately conceal almost any size handgun if you figure out how to dress for it, once you get past the mental hurdle of being convinced everyone can see you printing. Which they can't.

Of course, if you're in a situation where you MUST consider only a compact or subcompact due to, say, needing to ankle carry... well. If that's the case, then the "score" you mentioned in Post #10 is actually not the only one that matters to you. Avoiding detection while carrying matters more, in that case. And you'll probably need to accept some limitations on your comfort or accuracy to account for that.

So. Why a compact/subcompact? Is a full-size not an option?

For CCW it should be 26 or 43. 19 won’t motivate you to carry as much. Just my 2 cents.
^This,^
just get the gun that you shoot best.....
^and this.^

Ideally, you'll carry every day, everywhere. It doesn't matter how proficient you are with the gun if it's big enough to be a little annoying to carry and you only carry occasionally. Pick a size, then find one you shoot well enough.

Carrying is a journey. For me it had a very humbling start. I went from feeling like a pretty good bullseye shooter with a full size gun to missing the paper at 7 yards with my little LC9s. Some instruction, lots of snap-cap work and 1,000 rounds later I felt pretty good with it.

Also, if you're doing it right, after a few years you'll have as many holsters in the closet as the wife has purses[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom