newbie question

Hi I have been lurking on this site for a while, I’ve read a lot about gun and hunting on here. I am really appreciated for all information has been provided here.

I have always wanted to get into hunting but been holding back since I don’t know any hunters. I am a second generation from oversea.

Anyway I got my gun permit, hunting permit and a bow ready for this year. Been practicing bow shooting all year and I am pretty ok with it. I am comfortable with it I think.

Been sitting on tree stand and scouting on Sunday for the last three weeks, have seen deer 2x. Feel exciting to be honest at least I am the right general area. (yes its legal area).

My question are

• How far should I be away from others tree stand. I thought 200’ is way too close.
  • Bow hunter season required you to have an orange hat but if you are sitting on the ground blind and away from others, can I switch to camo hat. Same thing during gun season (hat and vet) ?? if I am walking anywhere I am definitely wear it!!

• I have an archery stamp to hunt til November 28. But During gun season you are allow to hunt with the bow but I am not sure if I need to buy a gun permit??

• Any help would greatly appreciated.

• Thanks

If you have a hunting license with an archery stamp and a primitive/muzzleloader stamp you can hunt with a bow all the way through all of the seasons till Dec 31st.

Unless you're hunting with someone, if you can see them in their stand without binoculars, you're probably too close.

During gun season you cannot remove/take off the hunter orange at all, and I wouldn't if you value your life. Shotgun season can get a little crazy.

At least 200 yards from another man's tree stand. Check that there is no tape hanging anywhere near the point you get off the main trail to walk to your stand, and you're generally ok. Walk around to be sure.

Hi I have been lurking on this site for a while, I’ve read a lot about gun and hunting on here. I am really appreciated for all information has been provided here.

I have always wanted to get into hunting but been holding back since I don’t know any hunters. I am a second generation from oversea.

Anyway I got my gun permit, hunting permit and a bow ready for this year. Been practicing bow shooting all year and I am pretty ok with it. I am comfortable with it I think.

Been sitting on tree stand and scouting on Sunday for the last three weeks, have seen deer 2x. Feel exciting to be honest at least I am the right general area. (yes its legal area).

My question are

• How far should I be away from others tree stand. I thought 200’ is way too close.
  • Bow hunter season required you to have an orange hat but if you are sitting on the ground blind and away from others, can I switch to camo hat. Same thing during gun season (hat and vet) ?? if I am walking anywhere I am definitely wear it!!

• I have an archery stamp to hunt til November 28. But During gun season you are allow to hunt with the bow but I am not sure if I need to buy a gun permit??

• Any help would greatly appreciated.

• Thanks
You can bow hunt through shotgun season with no additional stamps. And during shotgun season you need 500 square inches of hunter orange not just a hat. If you buy a primitive fire arm stamp you can hunt with the bow till Dec 31.

You can bow hunt through shotgun season with no additional stamps. And during shotgun season you need 500 square inches of hunter orange not just a hat. If you buy a primitive fire arm stamp you can hunt with the bow till Dec 31.

Now i got it. this year will be a learning year but i do hope to have an opportunity to shoot at least one.

thank you all!

Personally, I NEVER take my orange off while in the field during shotgun/ blackpowder seasons. I don't bow hunt so I have no input for that, but for gun season questions... ask away! More than happy to help out new hunters getting into it. There's lots of little tricks and knowledge you'll gain over the years. Don't get discouraged if you don't kill a deer your first season though. Or even first several seasons. Lots of times it's pure luck. But when you can learn to be completely silent, limit your movement, and play the wind, you will up your chances of taking a deer.

I should have been scouting 4 months ago. lol. Its a bit late but better to start late than never. Yes I know its no hunting on sunday that is why i am scouting, I try not to disturb other people stand area as well.
Just enjoy the woods lol. Getting a deer is a bonus. Some of my best naps have been taken leaning against a tree during deer season. 🤣

I’d be scouting as much as possible, bring your bow. As far as other stands, if they look old and unused I don’t worry about them, if I’m in my mobile set up and see a guy in stand I’ll give him plenty of space but if he’s not I’ll go to the spot I feel is best, regardless of where the stand sits. A guy could have a stand on public land for 2 years and use it once, no way I’m not chasing a target buck because of it. Best thing you can do is spend as much time in the woods as possible, hope you get one I love seeing new people getting into hunting especially archery

This will be my first time hunting deer this early.....have always hunted deer in dec in mass after the rut. I've read a bit about rut hunting.....all day sits are al right? Do they really move around that much during daylight during thr rut?

I do enjoy being in the wood. Scouting is fun. The more i research it become more clear that archery is a challenge hobby and its require time and patience. Practice shooting with the bow is like a meditation itself. I think i will enjoy it regardless of getting a deer or not..

You don't need orange during bow season unless hunting a WMA that has pheasants stocked then need orange cap

Is it generally a good idea to wear orange anyway for safety from other hunters? Sincere question from a new hunter, not being argumentative ;)
Do squirrels see orange?

I don't know if squirrels see orange. I only wear orange when required during gun season feel no need during archery where I hunt. I also hunt upstate NY during their gun season you don't need orange but usually wear a orange hat.

Last edited:
Is it generally a good idea to wear orange anyway for safety from other hunters? Sincere question from a new hunter, not being argumentative ;)
Do squirrels see orange?
I've shot a cordwood sized pile of squirrels over the years wearing an orange Upland vest and orange hat so I'd say if they can see orange.....they don't care......well until a bunch of high brass #5 hits em anyway 🤣

November is almost over and i still searching.. after two weeks i switched from a ghost blind to tree climbing stand. Met a gentlemen while i was out from the wood one day and he stop we chatted, he is an old timer and very supportive. he show me a new location to try. I saw deer twices during the past two weeks, got a really good shot but i missed. I happy to see deer at least..

During this month i have met 3 guys while going and out of wood. Two were extremely nice, one was giving me a hard time because i was near his stand which i found out later since it was blended in well in the tree. I am in public land!!

Still searching and i've learn a lot since, thinking of switching to saddle stand later. I am afraid of height but I ve gotten more comfortable as the day pass.

Well i am planning bow hunting to December, will get into gun next year. Even though I am ready for it.

So i did a search for "muzzleloader in shotgun season" and this thread came up. Since this primitive firearm stamp enables bow guys to hunt with their chosen arm from bow through primitive, then would it follow that it would also enable nerds like me to hunt with their flintlocks through both gun seasons?

Correct. As long as you have a primitive arms stamp (aka "Muzzleloader stamp") you can hunt that season. That would enable you to use your flintlock for all of shotgun and primitive seasons if you have a hunting license and the primitive stamp.

So i did a search for "muzzleloader in shotgun season" and this thread came up. Since this primitive firearm stamp enables bow guys to hunt with their chosen arm from bow through primitive, then would it follow that it would also enable nerds like me to hunt with their flintlocks through both gun seasons?
Yes. You need the primitive stamp though.

Cool. Thanks for your replies. I just bought the hunting license, primitive firearms stamp and put my name in the doe tag lottery. I've never really hunted besides going for small game with airguns when I was a kid. Should be fun. Glad I can hunt with my musket for both seasons. I hate shooting slugs from my shotguns, but that .62 cal fowler is a light, soft shooting, accurate piece. I'm also restoring an original third pattern East India Company Brown Bess from IMA. I might take that old thing afield if it shoots well at all.

Back
Top Bottom