News Year's Eve gunfire

Maxrobot

NES Member
Here in NH, we hear fireworks - I wonder if gunshots are mixed in?

ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOV) - Local neighborhoods are also pushing another safety message for New Year’s Eve; Don’t fire guns to celebrate.
Today, volunteers passed out flyers in south St. Louis urging residents to ring in the new year without gunfire.
It’s a message they’ve been promoting for several years.
Volunteers have expanded their efforts to several new neighborhoods this year, including Dutchtown and Gravois Park.

Years ago we lost a family friend due to 'celebratory gunfire' on New Years. Stunning sandy blonde and tan 18-year-old California girl who was killed by a .30-06 bullet that crashed through their window, ricocheted off a radio, then struck her in the head.

Celebratory Gunfire = how complete f-ing morons identify themselves. I suppose if someone is doing it sober and into a safe backstop they can see at midnight it is OK, though I bet that is a rare if not completely non-existing situation.

Reminds me I need to drop a friendly note in my neighbors' mailbox. They were firing a gun repeatedly just to make noise the night of the 4th. We are all on 2 or more acres with thousands of acres of forest behind, but they were firing from behind their house which is within 500' of other dwellings including mine. The forest behind us is all trees and boulders, so there is no safe backstop nor do they have a proper range.

Years ago we lost a family friend due to 'celebratory gunfire' on New Years. Stunning sandy blonde and tan 18-year-old California girl who was killed by a .30-06 bullet that crashed through their window, ricocheted off a radio, then struck her in the head.

Celebratory Gunfire = how complete f-ing morons identify themselves. I suppose if someone is doing it sober and into a safe backstop they can see at midnight it is OK, though I bet that is a rare if not completely non-existing situation.

Reminds me I need to drop a friendly note in my neighbors' mailbox. They were firing a gun repeatedly just to make noise the night of the 4th. We are all on 2 or more acres with thousands of acres of forest behind, but they were firing from behind their house which is within 500' of other dwellings including mine. The forest behind us is all trees and boulders, so there is no safe backstop nor do they have a proper range.
OIP.I8Nl8h31kFa69OFK9cEOQwAAAA

Oh, I thought this was a “What will you be shooting for Celebratory Gunfire New Years Eve?” thread…

I guess I could take the suppressors off for one night.

41181EFB-D8F3-4FE2-AF91-BC5AE25144E3.jpeg

I lived in Stratford, CT for a couple of years, a little too close to the Stratford/Bridgeport line - and gunfire on New Year's Eve was a thing. Not by me, not by anyone I know - but it was only a couple blocks away.

Funny how the realtor showing me that house showed me the nice neighborhood surrounding it, and stayed away from the not-so-nice. Learned a lesson there.

Used to happen almost every night in Bosnia, we would get Info on weddings in our AO because we knew there would be celebratory gunfire all night long.
We almost killed a drunk Bosnian who was standing on the side on the road with an AK firing rds. in the air. Interpreter was screaming at him to turn around and lay down AK, if he started dropping the muzzle towards us, he was dead. He finally ran out of ammo and dropped AK, we had to hold back terp from beating the shit out of him.

From the November 6, 1891 Hill City Tin Miner newspaper:

It Don’t Go Any More.
Last Saturday a couple of fallen angels from the bad lands having saturated their corporeal machinery with rot gut whiskey, made a holy show of themselves by promenading the street, and tumbling heels over head, pell mell over every obstacle in their path, and filling the air with language that would put to blush a veteran bull whacker. The circus they made, highly delighted the small boy and numerous large boys too, but it drove every lady off the street. Such performances don’t go any more and when it occurs again certain citizens of the town will try the experiment, whether the prohibitory law can be enforced. Some of our local officers have complained that their commissions don’t pay. An officer who will arrest every drunk found on the street will make money and stop some of the noisy proceedings and firing of guns we have been subjected to of late.

A little video from last year at the park across from my house.……. More safe than just shooting in the air and has a dance element.

Wow, no shoes!!

And what kinda NESer doesn’t have a suitable backyard range?

Used to happen almost every night in Bosnia, we would get Info on weddings in our AO because we knew there would be celebratory gunfire all night long.
We almost killed a drunk Bosnian who was standing on the side on the road with an AK firing rds. in the air. Interpreter was screaming at him to turn around and lay down AK, if he started dropping the muzzle towards us, he was dead. He finally ran out of ammo and dropped AK, we had to hold back terp from beating the shit out of him.
Same in Albania and most of Kosovo.

Fayetteville, too lol.

Probably will not participate in any New Year’s Eve celebratory gun fire.

But I may partake in some range time on New Year’s Day.

The NH town I live in has celebratory cannon fire. Heard it right after we moved in. As said above...shooting into a berm/backstop...go for it. I'm just breaking out my 37mm for the night with flares and "pest control".

New Years was wild with that in Kosovo
I remember June 15th is the anniversary of the Battle of Kosovo, and the locals get REALLY squirrely that night: both the Serbs and the Albanians see it as a huge deal historically. My battalion had a full-court press all over our AO that night because it was 1999 and we weren't sure what to expect: it was the single most carefully-planned operation of my whole time there, and that includes the air assault into Bondsteel in the first place!

As soon as it got dark, the city I was in sounded like Beirut for hours.

Back
Top Bottom