Newton Gun Shop getting pushback

UPDATE!

From the mayor’s newsletter …
. . .
It is expected that the City Council will provide notice of the public hearing in the newspaper on April 26 and May 3, 2021. Practically speaking, if there is a proposed firearm dealer use that has not started operating by those dates, it will be subject to the proposed zoning amendments whenever those amendments are passed.
Why are we not prohibiting gun stores everywhere in Newton?
The City Council has broad authority to regulate all land uses in Newton, including the location of firearms dealers. That said, in light of the nature of the issues and the implications of Constitutional protections, it may be reasonable to expect that the more restrictively firearm sales are regulated, the more likely such regulations will be subject to a court challenge.
It's been a few years since I was involved in the development issues of town government, but I doubt that the above is legal. It was my understanding that if one applied for a permit prior to a change in zoning, that any new zoning reg did not apply to that development. In fact, my MA town tried this trick on the company that developed the area where I live in MA, then denied the permit. The developer sued in Land Court and won. This was early 1950s.

It was my understanding that if one applied for a permit prior to a change in zoning, that any new zoning reg did not apply to that development.
Wow, has this shop found a way to get the town government to grant him
a town-wide monopoly without him being the least bit culpable?

Four Seasons in Woburn and Collectors Gallery in Stoneham are a lot closer to Boston than Natick

Meh, think of how many gun stores there are within Boston proper or Cambridge. Not very many. J&J in Dedham, B and K in Natick, the other one in Natick, am I missing any?
Some of the comments elude to why it wouldn’t be a terrible idea; lack of gun stores in the area. Where I am, the ones mentioned above are closest followed by MFS 45 minutes away.
Probably the absolute worst time to be getting in to it, but there’s probably more demand in that area than people realize.

Why would you pick there of all places for a gun shop? I mean, it really shouldn't matter in terms of difficulty as long as zoning is compliant, but in terms of target audience?

Lots of money there, and lots of gun owners. Just cause there are loud antis doesn’t mean there aren’t tons of buyers in the city — with money. Plus the location isn’t bad at all.

UPDATE!

From the mayor’s newsletter …
Thanks to the thoughtful collaboration of City Council President Susan Albright, the City’s Law, Planning, Inspectional Services, and Police Departments, today I and members of the City Council have jointly docketed an amendment to the City’s zoning ordinance that would only allow firearms sales related uses in certain zoning districts in the City. It will also require firearms sales uses to be approved by special permit by the City Council. Finally, it will create specific special permit criteria, including a buffer zone between a firearms dealer and residences and schools.
What is the process moving forward for the proposed zoning amendment?
The City Council will assign the proposed zoning amendments to the appropriate committees at its meeting on Tuesday, April 20 and also assign a public hearing date. It is likely that the matter will be assigned to the Zoning and Planning Committee (ZAP) for a public hearing on May 10, 2021. At the public hearing, the Council will hear input from the public. It will then discuss the draft language, potentially make revisions, and ultimately recommend that matter to the full City Council for a final vote to approve the zoning amendments.
In general, zoning is prospective and would not limit ongoing uses and businesses that are already operating.
However, the State Zoning Act, Chapter 40A, does state that any approved zoning amendment will apply to any use/business that has not commenced prior to the publication of notice of the public hearing for the zoning amendment.
It is expected that the City Council will provide notice of the public hearing in the newspaper on April 26 and May 3, 2021. Practically speaking, if there is a proposed firearm dealer use that has not started operating by those dates, it will be subject to the proposed zoning amendments whenever those amendments are passed.
Why are we not prohibiting gun stores everywhere in Newton?
The City Council has broad authority to regulate all land uses in Newton, including the location of firearms dealers. That said, in light of the nature of the issues and the implications of Constitutional protections, it may be reasonable to expect that the more restrictively firearm sales are regulated, the more likely such regulations will be subject to a court challenge.

New theory: the guy plans to live out his life in the lap of luxury built on the proceeds of the civil lawsuit.

Is the city attorney working billable rather than a direct town employee? No way he’d sign off on this move otherwise.

these woke turds have succeeded in banishing all things gun-related from their sight and thus convince themselves it doesn't exist. so their children grow up in a gun-less environment under the misguided belief that they're safer under such circumstances. this is exactly how we ensure the 2A survives. by putting it back in towns like newton and forcing the protectionist clowns to look at it.

if this guy opens a shop in newton i will make some out-of-state purchases just to support him. also the village cafe is right there, which was my wife's favorite place when we lived nearby. the owner is a super friendly young guy who is probably one of us.

I remember being on the Lexington High School rifle team in the late 70s. The chemistry teacher kept the Remington .22 rifles in a closet in his classroom.

And guess what- nobody died!

Same with Norwood High, I was on the rifle team from '77-'79, a tough old bird WWII vet was my chem teacher and rifle coach. The rifles were locked in the lab and the rifle bolts were in his briefcase. We use to march out of the high shool with the rifles (minus the bolts) in formation.

It's been a few years since I was involved in the development issues of town government, but I doubt that the above is legal. It was my understanding that if one applied for a permit prior to a change in zoning, that any new zoning reg did not apply to that development. In fact, my MA town tried this trick on the company that developed the area where I live in MA, then denied the permit. The developer sued in Land Court and won. This was early 1950s.
There are protections IIRC on land use boards pulling this kind of shit. They just want to wrap him up in legal fees and bullshit hoping he goes away.

these woke turds have succeeded in banishing all things gun-related from their sight and thus convince themselves it doesn't exist. so their children grow up in a gun-less environment under the misguided belief that they're safer under such circumstances. this is exactly how we ensure the 2A survives. by putting it back in towns like newton and forcing the protectionist clowns to look at it.

if this guy opens a shop in newton i will make some out-of-state purchases just to support him. also the village cafe is right there, which was my wife's favorite place when we lived nearby. the owner is a super friendly young guy who is probably one of us.
Yep I’ll gladly support him just to see the shop stay in business and to Piss off the liberal elite every time they drive by it.

Lol all of the Newton antis? You mean the entire city? (Minus about 10 people). I hope he succeeds but that's about the last place I'd think about a shop. Needs to be on 128 not inside the foul trash urban cup.
That location is an easy-off, easy-on from the MassPike so not a bad idea from that perspective. I suspect business from Newton, Watertown and Boston (Allston/Brighton) might be better than you think. For entertainment, read some of the comments! :)

From the Village14.com comments.

Sounds like Miss Colleen here is not as much worried about gun shops as she is about 'those people' moving into her neighborhood. :rolleyes:

27jS7ZO.jpg

🐯

I got called a troll for asking which shooting had automatic weapons. So far, I’ve tried to be polite and offer a factual, non-emotional perspective. From the Newton and MA super liberal perspective, I know they don’t want a gun store, but the guy has done everything on the up and up. They plan on harassing the building owner too. They fail to acknowledge that MA isn’t the problem when it comes to gun violence. If they want to help, they should be looking at other states. I live within walking distance of the proposed location, but I have no desire to protest. I sure as hell will see what they have.

I fully expect the worst of the opponents to harass the place similarly to aggressive abortion clinic protesters. I hope the Pink Pistols, 2A Sisters, etc. can patronize early on to ram home the point these bigots are engaging in redlining against a diverse group of people they have stereotyped into oblivion in their closed minds.

I fully expect the worst of the opponents to harass the place similarly to aggressive abortion clinic protesters. I hope the Pink Pistols, 2A Sisters, etc. can patronize early on to ram home the point these bigots are engaging in redlining against a diverse group of people they have stereotyped into oblivion in their closed minds.
Pink pistols , 2a sisters, Ram home ?

Newton Center had a gun shop like 30 years ago for high end shotguns and whatnot.

Really ???
Where ???
I grew up in the 02159 zip code area and don't remember that.
There was a gun shop that I frequented many times in the 80's, which was located in West Newton, about three blocks from the police station. It was called Contra Costa Trading, and specialized in milsurps. I remember when they had crates of M1 Carbines, pick one, $150 a piece! If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought more than one. He also had C96 Mausers for short money, wish I had bought a few of those too.
There was also a kitchen table FFL I knew that lived over that way, but he had to give it up when the laws changed in 1998.

jfc. I read the comments from the link posted by OP.

Kids walking past gun shop - the horror.
Can't we stop the shop from opening - it's a public safety issue.
Newton's values.
etc, etc, etc.

f***tards.
Need one on linsky's hood too. Like right next door.

Back
Top Bottom