Newton Gun Shop getting pushback

All the Newton cry babies don't want a scary gun shop but when bad things happen to them, they'll be crying even louder when the police aren't there soon enough to protect them.
Guess what? A lot of bad things aren't happening here, partly because there aren't a lot of guns around
It is time when it got to be popular and rewarding to paint yourself liberal and sing along that song. it will last for a while, then, it will change, as everything else changes.

yet some people will remain who are sure no one deserves to have any rights, as 'rights' are potentially dangerous and not controllable.
did you want the chauvins trial coverage? 'i would like to invoke my 5th amendment privilege'. it is imbedded way too deep now - an assumption that a constitution is the list of privileges.
Seriously question for you: what's your interest in getting guns into Newton MA? Do you live here? Why are you commenting on this? Because I live here, and we're doing fine without guns.

I'm pretty sure that includes renewals. In a world of licensing, renewal is treated as a new license.
300 Class A's every year, considering that LTC is valid for 6 years and some of those are new applicants, gives us a total between 1,500 and 2,000.
Newton pop of 85,146 so puts it at about, 2.3% rate of ownership.

Last edited:
Guess what? A lot of bad things aren't happening here, partly because there aren't a lot of guns around

Seriously question for you: what's your interest in getting guns into Newton MA? Do you live here? Why are you commenting on this? Because I live here, and we're doing fine without guns.

Guess what? A lot of bad things aren't happening around here either......BECAUSE EVERYBODY HAS GUNS and they carry them ALL THE TIME.
When nobody else around has a gun, it's open season for those with criminal intent who do.

When things go bad, Sure, you can call a cop ( aka a man with a gun ) and hope they arrive in time, or you can take some actual responsibility for the safety and security of yourself, your family and your neighbors.
There is no more a despicable a person than one who would not take responsibility for their security, yet would pay another to risk their life to provide it for them.

What's your interest in preventing a legal, tax paying business entrepreneur from opening a legal business?

If the guy were opening an adult sex toy shop or an adult only theater would you be just as against it?

Keep sheltering kids and they usually learn life's lessons the hard way.

Last edited:

First, just to offer a minor correction. There certainly are guns in Newton. Your police force carries them and (as of 2020) there are 1915 active LTCs in Newton (and 14 machine gun licenses). So what you meant to say is “we’re doing fine without gun shops”, since you obviously have guns in Newton.

In my case the desire to see a gun shop in Newton is based on my desire to expose as many people a possible to the actual fact of gun ownership. A significant number of Americans (might even be the majority) view gun ownership as a normal part of American life. There also is a large number who feel guns are inherently evil. However guns are not good or bad; as a thing, guns do not posses teleology. The hope is by exposing more folks to the overall usefulness of firearms (from everything from hunting to selfdefense to target shooting to ensuring the freedoms of our republic) people will stop demonizing the thing and and the law abiding citizens (more law-abiding then law enforcement personnel according to crime statistics) who own/use it and instead concentrate on the criminals who abuse it.

It has more to do with the demographics of Newton not lending to the formation of gangs. Inanimate objects aren't a source of crime.

Would you say the same about temples, churches, synagogues, or mosques for people to practice their 1st Amendment rights? I don't think so.

Newton has more guns in it then you are likely aware of because they aren't a problem now and will continue to not be if this store opens. You are just phobic of things you don't understand. Spend some time at the Weston Shooters club or Harvard Sportsman Association and I think the stereotypes in your head would get demolished.

Most people around here are not interested in "getting guns into Newton."

Most people around here are even less interested in "nanny government limiting commerce of legal goods."

If you can't see the difference, that's your problem.

You think your doing fine because all the bad choices made for others have not hit home yet.

Come on man! You know the thing..?

Interesting, @r1969 just joined NES yesterday. If this was the opposing side's group we would kick him out like many of our members have been kicked out of their FB group for voicing a civil pro gun opinion. However 99% of gun owners are civil so we will happily have a conversation with you.

Also I'm sure if anyone opposing guns would ever like to go to the range many members here would gladly take them for their first time. Me included!

Last edited:

Anthropomorphism is evil.

Totally and 100% agree. I've heard some things said by white liberals that would make a black person think twice of asking for help from white liberals. I'm thoroughly convinced that 19th century racism is alive and well and living in the current political left. What kills me is that these white liberals have minorities snookered with language like "I'm one of you", "I feel your pain", "I stand for the little guy".
Whatever it takes to get the votes.

Really? What do you call 5+ home invasions while people slept?

I have a very dear friend who lives in Newton and she's in a panic since one of those homes is within a block of her (a very nice neighborhood). She's also been a victim of a very serious crime many years ago, so the current situation in Newton is bubbling that up in her mind as well.

Here's a clue: Anyone willing to invade another's home at night, reasonably sure that the homeowners are home, is also very likely willing to kill the occupants if they put up a fight. Thus, these thieves are almost certainly armed and most likely with a firearm.

Here's another clue from a retired police officer who served in a similar suburban up-scale community: Our average response time to an emergency call was ~6 minutes. A lot of harm can happen to a person within that timeframe. In reality, our job was the proverbial chalk outline of the victim, gather evidence, and try to find the perp to arrest them. Now to a modern day complication . . . most people use a cell phone and when you dial 911 from a cell phone it goes to Mass State Police HQ in Framingham . . . you have to explain the problem then convince them to transfer you to Newton PD where you need to explain again. That kicks up response time significantly. Only landlines in MA go direct to the local PD. Thankfully, I retired before this became a serious issue.

Really? What do you call 5+ home invasions while people slept?

I have a very dear friend who lives in Newton and she's in a panic since one of those homes is within a block of her (a very nice neighborhood). She's also been a victim of a very serious crime many years ago, so the current situation in Newton is bubbling that up in her mind as well.

Here's a clue: Anyone willing to invade another's home at night, reasonably sure that the homeowners are home, is also very likely willing to kill the occupants if they put up a fight. Thus, these thieves are almost certainly armed and most likely with a firearm.

Here's another clue from a retired police officer who served in a similar suburban up-scale community: Our average response time to an emergency call was ~6 minutes. A lot of harm can happen to a person within that timeframe. In reality, our job was the proverbial chalk outline of the victim, gather evidence, and try to find the perp to arrest them. Now to a modern day complication . . . most people use a cell phone and when you dial 911 from a cell phone it goes to Mass State Police HQ in Framingham . . . you have to explain the problem then convince them to transfer you to Newton PD where you need to explain again. That kicks up response time significantly. Only landlines in MA go direct to the local PD. Thankfully, I retired before this became a serious

I wonder what the response time will be after they defund the police or they are tied up giving a ticket for a noisy leaf blower? 😂

I grew up in Newton, went to grad school in Newton, have family in Newton, have a lot of friends in Newton. Lots of people in Newton have guns.

Newton is a wealthy town with an incredibly well funded police department, that's why lots of bad things don't happen there, generally speaking. Also, bad shit happens at the end of long driveways too, it's just kept quiet.

I don't think many here other than those who live close to Newton and wouldn't mind seeing a gun shop really care if Newton gets a gun shop or not. If anything, it provides some mild entertainment to watch otherwise intelligent people catastrophize over someone trying to make a living in their community. The idea that a federally licensed gun shop is somehow trafficking firearms into Newton is laughable. The only thing it would be bringing to the city is more tax revenue.

OH LOOKIE HERE!!!

An anti gun person on NES. You know that the zoning was locked when the application was filed right? I think the term is 5 years but I honestly forget.

Better question is , was your divine right to tell others what they own or what they can do given to you directly by God ?
Are you his personal representative here on earth, or just some nosy little prick with so little life of his own he has time to try and rule others lives ?
It's been my personal observation that people like you tend to have the most messed up lives themselves.

Wikipedia: Newton, Massachusetts § Demographics

As of the census of 2010, there were 85,146 people, 32,648 households, and 20,499 families residing in the city. ...​
Newton, ... is known for its considerable Jewish and Asian populations. The Jewish population as of 2002 was estimated as roughly 28,002.​

Let me divide that for you.

Last edited:

As a Newton resident. The guns are already here and a ffl isn't going to make a blip on the radar. Stopping a gun shop isn't going to make residents buy fewer arms or ammunition.

You're pulling a bigoted 50's NIMBY pearl clutcher move.

... as I noted above they tried that in Wilmington with the detox and failed, bigly...the lawyers said that if the zoning allowed for it when the application was submitted then there was nothing the town could do to stop the approval so long as everything was in order and aligned with the original zoning of the site.
I wonder if the Newton Town Fathers are cynical enough to Hurr-Durr to the moonbats
that this One Weird Zoning Trick will stop the gun store -
even though they know it won't pass legal scrutiny.
Piss away a few $K defending a losing lawsuit,
then when the store inevitably wins,
shrug and tell the voters, "well, at least we tried...".

If you think invisible city limits protect you from crime, you’re delusional. Every gang banger in the Dot could care less about how many laws they break. Gun laws only effect the law abiding. In reality, none of us care about a gun shop in Newton. We care about the absolutely ludicrous lengths antigunners will go to violate a constitutional right via doubious deeds.

Last edited:

Welcome to the forum. If you're here to actually listen to people that have an opinion that differs from yours, you'll learn. If you're just trying to stir up some entertainment, we can do that on our own.

To answer your question, "our" interest is that people be allowed to do things that are lawful, and that they not be oppressed or marginalized because of others' dislike.

Persons that live in Newton, and are properly licensed are not unable to get the firearms that they want. So, the idea that saying, "Not here!" will in any material way affect the supply of the firearms is just plain silly.

I don't know what other businesses are around the proposed shop that you patronize - from what I've read, there is an ice cream shop, and a cannabis dispensary. I'd hit the ice cream place, but not the weed emporium (not my thing)...but as long as the items sold are lawful, what should my opinion of your choice matter? Why should my opinion constrain your choice?

To purchase a firearm or ammunition at the proposed shop, one would need a State-issued license. To get the license, you need to be squeaky-clean, criminal record-wise. People that would patronize the shop are some of the most law-abiding and responsible in the Commonwealth. They're not doing "A lot of bad things." Or, even a few of them, for that matter.

Now, I don't know if you're here to do opposition research, and I don't care. I think that most here would say directly to you in person what they post; I know I would....but please notice that you have not been banned, or kicked off, or shut out, as, apparently pro-shop posters have been, on other forums/platforms.

Think about it. And, post again. This advice is given to all new posters on NES: you need a thick skin. That said, if you stick around, and listen, you just may learn something.

Wikipedia: Newton, Massachusetts § Demographics

As of the census of 2010, there were 85,146 people, 32,648 households, and 20,499 families residing in the city. ...​
Newton, ... is known for its considerable Jewish and Asian populations. The Jewish population as of 2002 was estimated as roughly 28,002.​

Let me divide that for you.
Like I said in a previous post, the other 40% moved out already.
I wonder if the Newton Town Fathers are cynical enough to Hurr-Durr to the moonbats
that this One Weird Zoning Trick will stop the gun store -
even though they know it won't pass legal scrutiny.
Piss away a few $K defending a losing lawsuit,
then when the store inevitably wins,
shrug and tell the voters, "well, at least we tried...".

Yes, they absolutely ARE.....and on top of losing the legal case, they'll raise the taxes of the people who opposed the store to cover the monetary losses. Circular firing squad.

Last edited:
I've been living in Newton for the past 20+ years and yes, people in this city can be pretentious and think their shit don't stink. Seems like the natural natives or the ones that are able to swing the multi million dollar homes on Comm Ave or Waban, are living in some fantasy world thinking that only their liberal views count.

I'm cool with the new proposed shop, it will be a two minute drive from my house. LOL. When I told my wife about the possibility of a local shop, she was like FINALLY!!! Now you won't disappear for half day when you go visit a shop. [laugh]

The locals that are bitching about the high school kids passing by and being curious... take some responsibility and parent your kid. My 9 year old knows more about gun safety than most adults we know and if he is asked if guns kill people, he will give you a 30 minute lecture that guns are merely tools.

To me? My interest is to see more people like me in Newton and less like you. I own property there and do pay my taxes.

Hypocrites anywhere do eventually die out, as they ignore the law of life. And your kind will die out too, as expecting somebody less fortunate to continue protecting your ass only last as long, until real danger emerges.

And you will be surprised if you knew how many small business owners around your liberal ass are armed.

Back
Top Bottom