• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newtown looking for holes in Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act

bfm

NES Member
And may be making some headway. Not new that lawyers of Newtown families have been trying but they are getting a little further this time.

Lawyers representing the families will argue companies that manufacture and sell assault rifles commonly used in mass shootings are culpable for the massacre. The case will be heard in the Connecticut Supreme Court this week.

The families' lawyers will argue that civilians shouldn't be given access to the AR-15, which was used by Lanza in the Sandy Hook massacre, because it was specifically designed to be used by the military.

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/11/180724/sandy-hook-newtown-shooting-gun-control-laws

Last edited:
It's a mental health issue, not a "guns" issue, and these moonbats will not stop until we are all disarmed.
Remain vigilant my friends.

Stoners family clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.

Eugene Stoner designed the AR-10 which was 7.62 and not at all designed to compete with the AK47, just to replace the Garand... It didn't, the M14 did. Jim Sullivan (working for Stoner at Armalite) scaled the AR10 down into the AR15 (he also scaled down the M14 to the Mini-14 later for Ruger) but the AR10 and AR15 were both such flops that the IP was sold to Colt at junk prices because nobody wanted them.

Colt designed and built built the NFA variant (M16) and sold it to the military "...to compete with the AK47" 5+ years after Eugene Stoner had shit to do with it.

There is no reason for Connecticut’s existence. Seriously, when was the last time you said to yourself, man I wish I was in Connecticut right now.

Is this the same group that tried to sue Bushmaster a while back? I think 15M ARs in the public’s hands aren’t a problem any more than Bud Light is responsible for drunken accidents.

There is no reason for Connecticut’s existence. Seriously, when was the last time you said to yourself, man I wish I was in Connecticut right now.

I've been arguing for years that the 91/95 need like... an overpass.

A highway above the highway with maybe 5 exits so you can get out of New England without dealing with Connecticut.

Never heard anyone utter those words in my life. Other than the navy sub base, the state itself and the majority of its population are useless.

If they find any holes, we need to pass legislation to close those loopholes.

If not, then we need to sue every car company after someone plows down a bunch of people or gets into an accident. Sue Stanley tools if someone beats someone with a hammer, sue the owner of the building or the bridge that someone jumped from to off themselves. It will be unending. Maybe that is the way that they want it. Most pols are lawyers by trade. Its always nice to have a backup plan if the next election doesn't work out ya know...

You could say the same thing about the commie state of Mass! It would be even more true!!

Someone runs over your kid in the street because he's mentally deranged.

Sue the guy? Nah.

Sue GM? Nah.

Sue Exxon/Mobil? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! They are complicit in this fossil-fuel conspurrusurrrr.

What CT does is meaningless. This will get appealed to DC and get shot down.

Let's assume this passes, the court says that gun manufacturers are liable. Let's just assume.

Could this then snowball into:

Car manufacturers and dealerships are liable for deaths in accidents?
Tool manufacturers (hammers, screw drivers, drills...) are liable if someone uses those tools to kill someone?

And so on...

Let's assume this passes, the court says that gun manufacturers are liable. Let's just assume.

Could this then snowball into:

Car manufacturers and dealerships are liable for deaths in accidents?
Tool manufacturers (hammers, screw drivers, drills...) are liable if someone uses those tools to kill someone?

And so on...

That would be the next logical step. It would be a boone for lawyers.

TO Quote Dennis Leary "Can I sue Dan Fogelberg for making me a pussy in the 70's? Your honor between him and James Taylor I never received a BJ for 10 years. I want to get paid now!"

And may be making some headway. Not new that lawyers of Newtown families have been trying but they are getting a little further this time.

Lawyers representing the families will argue companies that manufacture and sell assault rifles commonly used in mass shootings are culpable for the massacre. The case will be heard in the Connecticut Supreme Court this week.

The families' lawyers will argue that civilians shouldn't be given access to the AR-15, which was used by Lanza in the Sandy Hook massacre, because it was specifically designed to be used by the military.

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/11/180724/sandy-hook-newtown-shooting-gun-control-laws
"Assault rifles" are not "commonly used in mass shootings." In fact, if there has been a mass shooting in the US perpetrated using an assault rifle--which is by definition a selectable-fire weapon--it's not coming to mind right now.

The families' angle of attack is "negligent entrustment." This has been winding its way through the courts for the past three years.

It's a mental health issue, not a "guns" issue, and these moonbats will not stop until we are all disarmed.
Remain vigilant my friends.

I keep mentioning this, and that the NRA and Gun-owners in general need to get out in front of this, but all I got in response was how "hard" it is to assure due-process for the mentally-ill and how 2A has no caveat for the deranged. It was as-if Mr. Lanza had full 2A-community support for his "right to bear arms"....

He bore them alright. Now we're splitting hairs about what "AR" stands-for, and who invented/designed what rifle, as-if that's going to persuade a judge down in CT. SMFH.

They aren't finding any "holes", they are just doing what the protection of lawful commerce act was suppose to prevent...wageing frivious lawsuits to try and punish manufaters and dealers.
Even if unsuccessful, it hurts manufacturers..the fed law needs to be more like Colorados law those bringing the suit are responsible for all cost if unsuccessful.

I keep mentioning this, and that the NRA and Gun-owners in general need to get out in front of this, but all I got in response was how "hard" it is to assure due-process for the mentally-ill and how 2A has no caveat for the deranged. It was as-if Mr. Lanza had full 2A-community support for his "right to bear arms"....

He bore them alright. Now we're splitting hairs about what "AR" stands-for, and who invented/designed what rifle, as-if that's going to persuade a judge down in CT. SMFH.

Mentally ill people have the same due process rights as everyone else. Why sacrifice a bunch of people in order to placate those who will always try to ban guns, no matter what? Go shake your head all you want.

I take the Mass Pike and the Taconic just so I DON'T have to drive through Connecticut.

I've gotta drive too Misery, er Missouri next June. Have thought about that. Just avoid CT altogether. And much of the NYC-area congestion. Just go Pike to whatever south to start heading west. The sooner I can get to PA, the better the traffic will be.

But we need due process to avoid soviet style "He's mentally ill, take him away" type stuff killing the 2a. Where do you draw the line? Totally insane, raving in the streets is easy to see a problem, but how about someone who has been controlled on meds their whole life and so never had a real issue? Or how far do we go, someone who has homicidal tendencies and is always trying to stab people probably shouldn't have a gun, but what about a guy who had a panic attack once and told his doctor?

Doctors write all this stuff down, so now you have to draw a line, that's what courts are for. If you were depressed once but never again, should you lose your rights? If you are depressed now, is that a reason or is that normal enough to be fine? Mental health ISN'T easy, which is why we have due process before we take anyone's RIGHTS. I don't see anyone begging to take away the right to assemble until you prove you aren't crazy, why should everyone have to prove they are fine before the 2nd covers them?

They aren't finding any "holes", they are just doing what the protection of lawful commerce act was suppose to prevent...wageing frivious lawsuits to try and punish manufaters and dealers.
Even if unsuccessful, it hurts manufacturers..the fed law needs to be more like Colorados law those bringing the suit are responsible for all cost if unsuccessful.

So much this. Every suit where the defendant is found NG or the suit is later dismissed should be reimbursed by the Plantiff in full. The idea someone can drag you into court and bankrupt you is absurd.

You better believe if the family from Aurora falsely blamed me for their loved ones death, tried to ruin my livelyhood and owed me 3 million or what ever it was. Id be dragging them to court and taking everything they have and put them out on the street.then make a big scene how its not my fault that the anti gun lobby left them to be hung out to dry.

I feel for their loss i do but its not "a get away with anything" card to me, dont make stupid choices.

So much this. Every suit where the defendant is found NG or the suit is later dismissed should be reimbursed by the Plantiff in full. The idea someone can drag you into court and bankrupt you is absurd.

I think this is one thing England and most of Europe gets and we probably never will as the lawyers get paid either way, so the lawyer lobby always campaigns against the loser pays judicial system.

so when guns are used illegally and people intentionally hurt someone with a firearm they want to hold the manufacturer and everyone else responsible.

So like when that terrorist rented a HD truck and killed people in NYC if this was allowed the families of the victims would be allowed to sue HD, Ford and whoever sold the truck to HD.

I almost want this to pass.......I would love to see car manufactures, dealers and rental companies put out of business.

Be careful what you wish for....because this can be applied to so much more.

Golf clubs, baseball bats, hammers, knives, pencils....the list goes on....

It'll fail just like the last lawsuit. And hopefully the plaintiffs will be left holding the bag and get ruined financially for it. " Sorry you lost your kid, but abusing the legal system to punish a company who didn't have anything to do with the death of your kid, you deserve to get ****ed for it. "

I think in the last salvo of these from sandyhook Brady org failed and left the plaintiffs holding the bag, if I remember correctly.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom