Next gun after .22 pistol

v13

On the advice of many, I purchased a .22 (Ruger Mark III) as my first gun a few months ago. In the process of putting around 2500 rounds through it I've improved my skills dramatically. However, I'm starting to get a little bored with it, especially after some friends and kind people at my range have let me shoot some 9mm, .38, and .45.

I've been pondering two different ideas for my next purchase a 9mm autoloader or a .357 wheel gun. It will be a for the range and the house. It would not be for CCW (target restricted LTC).

My initial thought was to get a 9mm. It would still relatively cheap to shoot, more entertaining at the range, and decent enough stopping power with JHPs for a house gun. I was thinking Sig P226, HK USP (assuming I can find one in 9mm), or a Walther P99. However, the more I thought about it a .357 revolver might be a better choice. I could shoot .38spc up to .357 mag which would provide lots of variety at the range and plenty stopping power at home. I've shot medium frame Rugers and S&Ws and really them both.

Any ideas on how to choose between these without the obilgatory buy them both? :) That's just not an option right now. Other suggestions are welcome of course.

Thanks,
Nathaniel

I'm not to keen on handguns but I know the Gun Tests publication which is more of a newsletter than a magazine often has performance results and info from previous issues on their web site if you're a subscriber.
The pistol I carry and use for home defense is a Glock 23 in 40S&W. Of course if you're going with 9mm Kel Tec makes a handy little folding carbine that will accept Glock 19 pistol mags and i'm pretty sure theres a a 40S&W model out there too. Plug for LenS because he has a 9mm one available on the classifieds.[smile]
Myself I chose Glock because of the rugedness, high capacity and simplicity, but I know quite a few people that shoot long barrel Smith and Wesson revolvers for target accuracy and boom at the range.

My Sig 226 in 9mm was my first handgun many years ago, and I still have it to this day. I think you will likely find a good semi-auto like this one more thrilling for longer than you would a revolver.

Don't get me wrong, I actually own many more revolvers than I do semi-autos, but the semis tend to get out of the safe lots more than the wheelguns do.

Go with a 9mm semi auto. Sig, Glock, even a Smith 3rd gen is a nice choice. You are correct about being inexpensive to shoot, plenty accurate for a beginner, and fun. Federal or Cor-Bon defense rounds will also make it a very competent defensive pistol.

Chris

For what its worth, if you live in MA, Four Seasons almost always has Glock17 factory refurbished 9 mm guns for sale -- $400. Great deal on a great gun-- I have two of them.

C-X

If you have trouble making decisions....
3X357-vi.jpg

They come in lots of different sizes.
All .357's, from top:
8-3/8" S&W 686
6" S&W M28
2-1/8" S&W M640

Even though a .45 is more expensive to shoot, if you can afford one, go for a 1911 model. Once you shoot a 1911, you will love it. It doesn't get tiring at the range and you can 'customize' it any way you want. Range buddies are always interested in them. There are MANY accessories and 'upgrades' available. I never met anyone who has a 1911 that thought there was a better gun ever made. JMB knew what he was doing.

I've many guns for many years and just recently got my first couple of 1911's and I really don't know why I didn't get one before. Everything else sits on the shelf execept for my .22 revolver.

Presuming you are talking about your "next gun," not your "last gun," I'd strongly recommend a .357 S&W. You can load up a bunch of "mid-range" rounds (2.7 gr. Bullseye with a 148-gr. wadcutter or a 158-gr. SWC) for short money and get lots of practice with moderate recoil, while learning how to apply the skills you developed with the .22 to a centerfire. Start with precision (National Gallery) shooting, then progress to double-action timed and rapid. Once you've learned how to maintain trigger control and sight picture shooting double action against the clock, you'll be able to shoot most any handgun.

Just to throw another wrinkle into the mix. I'm most likely moving out of the PRM next year for two years of grad school (hopefully to NC or VA). For this reason I'm leaning more towards a .357 revolver and then hopefully pick up an HK (or two) or something else that we aren't allowed to purchase new here in MA.

To respond to Pilgrim I haven't tried a 1911. The .45 I shot was a Glock 30. I would definitely like to try a full size .45 at some point, I'm sure it's much more controllable than the compact. Unfortunately, none of my friends have a 1911 for me to try...yet. I wasn't a huge fan of the Glock trigger. I had tight groups but just didn't love it. I think I would much prefer a DA/SA.

I like my 4" S&W 66. You can probably get a used revolver for around $300 - $400. If it's mostly for target shooting, don't get anything less than a 3" barrel, and probably stick to 4" or more, really. I don't know how to compare claims of reliability--revolvers are mechanical objects and if, like me, you don't clean them enough, the cylinder can jam as it rotates to the next round. On the other hand, I really, really like the simplified operation and lack of safety. I think it makes me less dangerous because I'm not fooled into thinking it's ok to touch the trigger sometimes. And I like the click-click-click sound of the hammer cocking--"sounds like angels singing" to quote a news item I saw on mAssBackwards. I also like having a gun that has such a wide range of ammunition available for it.

I'm doing the reverse of what you did. I'm looking into .22 pistols right now :). I want my target fun at a cheaper rate per round. I want to be able to blow through boxes of ammunition and not think "Damn, I could have bought a few beers with that..." Have fun with the decision--I'm no expert.

Cross-X said:
My Sig 226 in 9mm was my first handgun many years ago, and I still have it to this day. I think you will likely find a good semi-auto like this one more thrilling for longer than you would a revolver.

My first is the same gun. Way more accurate than me. Cheap to shoot. I love it.

If you are buying new it's about the same $$ as a decent 1911 that Pilgrim suggested. This will be my next gun... some day... More expesive to shoot than 9mm, but much more common in competition of all types (bullseye, IDPA, ISPC, bowling pins, etc.)

Matt

If you're moving next year, stop buying pistols and get a rifle or shotgun. The pistols will be much cheaper wherever you're going and then you'll have some REAL choices.

Don't forget to bring a whole bunch of interesting things back with you if you decide to move back some day after firmly establishing residence there. The rest of us ma**h***s will appreciate it.

Last edited:
crakowski said:
If you're moving next year, stop buying pistols and get a rifle or shotgun. The pistols will be much cheaper wherever you're going and then you'll have some REAL choices.

Don't forget to bring a whole bunch of interesting things back with you if you decide to move back some day after firmly establishing residence there. The rest of us ma**h***s will appreciate it.

I agree. If you feel you must buy something now (understandable) get something that sells for the same price across state lines, like SW1911 or SW revolver. If you are thinking revolver, consider a 625 since eventually you'll get the 1911 bug.

Somewhere on here Rob Boudrie had a post about considering "the classics" (the "everyone should have one" guns) as a guide when looking for the next gun to buy. It made a lot of sense. It kind of sets a list of choices in which you can't go wrong.

If mostly range use I would go with a auto loader. I seem to enjoy shooting a auto more than a wheel gun at the range. A good 9mm sig 226 or 229 are great guns if you go with a auto. But if you want a wheeler a sw 686 or a ruger gp 100 will fit the bill. Good luck.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I have a bunch of rifles and a shotgun that I inherited so no point for me buying more long guns right now. I'm going to go with a .357 wheel gun 4" barrel. I have to go to the shop and figure out if it will be a 686 or a GP100 though. I've read the trigger on the S&W is better but the Ruger is built like a tank. I'll just have to go see for myself.

I'll save up for the autoloader(s) when I'm out of state, most likely a HK or a SIG followed up by a 1911. Have no fear, I'll stock up on some exotic goodies if I ever come back to MA.

Back
Top Bottom