• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NFA 1934 House Transcript

xtry51

NES Member
I came across this while trying to find the actual voting records for congress when 1934 was passed and found it very interesting. It is a transcript of the Ways and Means committee taking testimony on the proposed NFA 1934 bill.

It is pretty long, but the people talking will be of great interest to a lot of people here. The first two speakers in the transcript are leaders of the NRA. The first one supports some of the legislation, the second seems to have a love/hate relationship with 2A. His first recommendation out of the gate is the adoption of a WIDER definition of FA, which was actually adopted. Sadly the original definition, which would have allowed burst fire up to 10 rounds, was replaced. He later goes on to attack the dollar amounts of the taxes, while not actually being in favor of eliminating them. They definitely both favored registration and proudly presented themselves as people who pushed legislation in numerous states establishing registration and gun dealer licenses that they repeatedly say should be taken up everywhere.

http://books.google.com/books?id=DF...unition production 1933 United States&f=false

Definitely worth the long read to get an idea of what was actually happening when this was passed. There are also some charts with data included.

I have been unable to find the actual voting records from the House and Senate passing the bill that I was originally searching for. If anyone knows where I can get them I'd appreciate a link. I'm looking for the names and vote yay/nay, not just the tally.

What would be interesting is a comparison of mass shootings for the 80 years before the NFA and the 80 years afterwards.

Or compare crimes with FA before and after. Not sure what mass shootings have to do with FA or not FA.

I see your point. But up until 68, federal gun control - outside of FA/silencers/loudeners/shiniers - didn't really exist. And I'd look at all gun crime, not just mass murders (with and without guns).

A few of these people survived as late as the 1980's, but more than half didn't live past the 1930's

Here's an interesting name from that list:

Enoch L. Johnson
1883–1968
Johnson was an Atlantic City, New Jersey political boss and racketeer. From the 1910s until his imprisonment in 1941, he was the undisputed “boss” of the Republican political machine that controlled Atlantic City and the Atlantic County government.

This is the guy Boardwalk Empire was based on.

Back
Top Bottom