NFA and government furlough

NFA branch has no examiners currently, all are furloughed.

i called and spoke to them because i am trying to process my change of address on my form 1.

at least no one is there to approve it and send it to the wrong place. but this also means forms are just... sitting.

so FYI, folks.

This is BS. I just sent this to my Rep, I suggest anyone else who has an NFA form in process do the same:

Lots of people are being affected by the partial government shutdown. I am being affected as well, and in a way that I think is particularly unreasonable.

The National Firearms Act (NFA) imposes a statutory excise tax on the manufacture and transfer of certain firearms and mandates the registration of those firearms. The items covered by the Act include Short-Barreled Rifles (SBRs), Short-Barreled Shotguns (SBSs), silencers, and machine guns. The tax for most items is $200, and is paid when the application for manufacture/transfer is submitted. There is then a lengthy wait (currently around 8 months) before the application is reviewed due to the large backlog of applications.

The NFA Branch of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacoo, Firearms, and Explosives is responsible for processing applications for manufacture/transfer of items regulated by the NFA. This branch has been shut down, and is not processing any applications. I currently have an application to manufacture a Short-Barreled Rifle pending (tax paid, application not yet approved).

What makes this especially unreasonable is the fact that each of the applications is paid for with a $200 tax, and yet the NFA Branch has been shut down due to the examiners being furloughed. Why is the $200 tax paid by each applicant not being used to pay the examiners? Based on the Paperwork Reduction Act notice on the Application to Make and Register a Firearm (Form 1), the "estimated average burden" for the application is 4 hours. So, unless the examiners are being paid more than $50/hour, there should be more than enough money available to pay the examiners from the tax paid by the applicants.

I strongly object to the NFA Branch being shut down, and would like to see it started back up immediately.

Thank you,
My Name
My Address

Does changing the address while it is being processed screw it all up and have to go back to square one again?

BTW, does anyone know how the executive order against trusts affect new NFA buys? Does everyone on the trust now have to submit prints/pics?

Does changing the address while it is being processed screw it all up and have to go back to square one again?

BTW, does anyone know how the executive order against trusts affect new NFA buys? Does everyone on the trust now have to submit prints/pics?

All persons on the trust will need to submit prints and a Cleo sign off. Although there is a "pass" if the trust had another recently approved transfer with prints. Also, if you add a person you have 30 days IIRC to submit prints for them.

FYI. I requested ATF forms and just got them in the mail. Not sure who fulfills them but they are at least working.

All persons on the trust will need to submit prints and a Cleo sign off. Although there is a "pass" if the trust had another recently approved transfer with prints. Also, if you add a person you have 30 days IIRC to submit prints for them.

FYI. I requested ATF forms and just got them in the mail. Not sure who fulfills them but they are at least working.

You can efile them now.

When does this go into effect? I submitted mine on 12 September and haven't had it kicked back yet for not having prints or a CLEO sign off.

They have to read all the comments first realize that every single one of the comments says "don't pass this law" then they will pass the law.

i never got an answer, i needed to speak to an examiner and they didn't return my call before the shutdown. everything i have read is that you can submit a 5320.20.

ATF Eforms link site is now down due to lack of federal funding, i hope this doesn't screw up anything thats currently in the system.

called anyway, straight to voicemail for the examiner again. second message i've left now. you guys want me to play by the rules, so give me some ****ing assistance here. you have my $200, you have my form 1, let's ****ing do this. christ.

Holy ****ing ****. Just called the nfa branch. My form 4 is pending as of march 13 this year. She gave me the approximate approval time: 15 months! Yes 15 ****ing months.

what the actual ****.

i never got to an examiner, never got my four voicemails returned.

compared notes with someone who filed their 5320 when they moved and just sent it in. if they don't like it, **** them. it's not serviceable so that is not a problem. at this rate it never will be serviceable.

funny how it doesn't take fifteen mother****ing months to cash our $200 checks. group buy on a lawsuit? there has got to be SOMETHING they are in violation of.

Yeah it takes less than a week to take your money and then 15 months plus to process. Is there a statute of limitation where I can just get it approved because it took forever?

wonder how much interest they make off the $200 of mine that they already have.

I'm halfway tempted to just withdraw my application and get my $200 back, but I've already gone through the hassle of setting up the trust and filling out the app, so I'm just going to wait it out.

Besides, processing the withdrawal would probably take 6 months.

NFA branch thinks we all own ronco ovens, set it and forget it.

with the interest the government has made off these forms i am willing to bet they'd have enough to reconfigure the system to be %100 electronic.

Called the NFA branch again. Still pending but got a much more realistic date, 9 months from date pending. So that's only 4 weeks away for me still. 9 months is a long time, but I guess it's at least not 15.

Back
Top Bottom