• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NFA e-file Form 1 experience

I wouldn’t worry all that much about the risk personally. Sure, something can happen but then again anything can happen in life. From a risk management POV I’d venture to guess the probability of anything occurring is statistically negligible but we’re all comfortable with different things...

I've been hearing about super short wait times from bunch of people around the interwebs. I have three or four rifles I would like to do but have been dragging my feet on that I should do right now.

Are you guys all using a trust, or filing individual? I have a trust, but is a pre 41f trust (thanks hobama) and I am not interested in chasing people around for print cards, so I am trying to decide if it's worth buying an other prefilled trust or just doing it as an individual. I know what the benefits are, I am not talking about a $30k MG, I am just looking to see if one way is smoother then the other.

Are you guys all using a trust, or filing individual? I have a trust, but is a pre 41f trust (thanks hobama) and I am not interested in chasing people around for print cards, so I am trying to decide if it's worth buying an other prefilled trust or just doing it as an individual. I know what the benefits are, I am not talking about a $30k MG, I am just looking to see if one way is smoother then the other.
I file as an individual.

I use a few trusts, form 1 cans go in a trust, MG go in another. I also buy a lot of individual purchases as well. You can have yourself be the only RP in a trust, that way you still only need your prints. You can name beneficiaries and a trustee. They have some uses for sure, probate being the obvious one.

I also have a pre-41f trust, but since the change, I've been filing as an individual. I suppose I could just scan my trustees fingerprints and passport photos, but they've succeeded in raising the hassle threshold to the point it's easier for me to just file as an individual.

That's kind of what I figured. It's not like I am registering an heirloom firearm or anything, so I am not totally worried about it.

not related but my form 4 suppressor was approved today. 318 days from pending to approved

I am closing on a house in NH in August. Once I move up there and become a resident, it opens up all sorts of things that I never even considered while living in Mass. I only vaguely understand the process for getting a suppressor but from my understanding, it takes close to a year to get the ATF approval?

A Ruger MKIV Tactical with a suppressor would be too much fun.

I am closing on a house in NH in August. Once I move up there and become a resident, it opens up all sorts of things that I never even considered while living in Mass. I only vaguely understand the process for getting a suppressor but from my understanding, it takes close to a year to get the ATF approval?

There is a lot of information in this thread on the process.

ATF eForm 1 mega thread. Process and approvals!

Approval times vary for sure and remember that all of the form 4 approval now went through the .gov shutdown. Those days are added on to all the current approval dates. I just had a Form 4 can approved at 284 days with the shutdown included.

I would need to think more about this but I’m almost certain you could order a suppressor today and start the wait time. You don’t need proof of residency until you take delivery from your NFA dealer in NH. I think to start the process you would only need to know your NH address.

I have a Ruger MK IV Lite with a Trijicon and a Dead Air Mask can. I can confirm it’s a riot to shoot. Movie quiet with subs.

Yeah, right now the total wait time, especially with a Form 3, is so close to a year the difference isn't worth talking about.

The process is pretty straight forward.

Find can you like.

If can is found in stock with local dealer
Obtain 2 sets of fingerprints and passport photos
Complete Form 4 with dealer, pay for can plus $200 for the stamp plus any dealer processing (for stocking dealers, usually baked into the price of the can)
Wait, wait, and wait some more.​

If can is found online (SilencerShop, Capitol Armory, etc.)
Pay for can.
Find a local NFA FFL who will receive the can and process the Form 4 for you. Local dealer sends FFL along just like a normal Title I transfer.
Non-local dealer files Form 3 (dealer to dealer transfer) and then ships to your local dealer when the Form 3 clears
Local dealer receives the can, notifies you.
Complete Form 4 with dealer, hand over print cards and pics, plus $200 for the stamp plus any dealer processing.

There are lots of details missing here, but that’s the general work flow

Yeah, right now the total wait time, especially with a Form 3, is so close to a year the difference isn't worth talking about.

The process is pretty straight forward.

Find can you like.

If can is found in stock with local dealer
Complete Form 4 with dealer, pay for can plus $200 for the stamp plus any dealer processing (for stocking dealers, usually baked into the price of the can)

If can is found online (SilencerShop, Capitol Armory, etc.)
Pay for can.
Find a local NFA FFL who will receive the can and process the Form 4 for you. Local dealer sends FFL along just like a normal Title I transfer.
Non-local dealer files Form 3 (dealer to dealer transfer) and then ships to your local dealer when the Form 3 clears
Local dealer receives the can, notifies you.
Complete Form 4 with dealer, hand over print cards and pics, plus $200 for the stamp plus any dealer processing.

There are lots of details missing here, but that’s the general work flow

This pretty much sums up the process. I would only add I if you are going to use Silencer Shop use a dealer with a Kiosk. When buying from a dealer with a SS kiosk you enter all of your details and scan your prints at the kiosk. You then download that app, snap a picture and upload it to silencer shop. Once you have set up an account with Silencer Shop it really easy to buy a suppressor. You log on to www.silencershop.com and sign in. Pick the suppressor you want to purchase and add a tax stamp to the cart. Pay for your can and stamp. Within minutes you will receive an electronic Form 4 that you will eSign on your mobile device. That’s it, SS handles the Form 3 and your Form 4. Wait a bit and your dealer will call when your stamp is approved.

My shoulder just told me to keep dreaming if u think I’m getting pounded with 308 in a 12 inch barrel, lol!!!! Great looking piece my friend, have some fun!
I’m doing a 7.5” in 7.62 but I have buff shoulders. lolz

I also have a pre-41f trust, but since the change, I've been filing as an individual. I suppose I could just scan my trustees fingerprints and passport photos, but they've succeeded in raising the hassle threshold to the point it's easier for me to just file as an individual.

You could also remove the other responsible persons (trustees, settlors, possibly others depending on how your trust was drafted) from the trust by amending it. For those that worked with me to form your gun trust, forms for adding and removing trustees were included with your trust package.

I’m doing a 7.5” in 7.62 but I have buff shoulders. lolz

I did a 7.5 inch In 7.62. For all the issues with .556 in that length I didn’t have a single issue with 7.62. It’s basically a requirement to run it suppressed, it’s straight deafening in that config without a can. I’m talking magnum caliber loud, maybe 50 BMG.

Guys, I just got some really good news. I just got baller status. The ATF just approved 14 Form 4s I had pending. The oldest date was 10/13/18 and the latest was 07/14/19! Also, I took today and tomorrow off, range day!!!

I will post a pic of the stash tomorrow.

Last edited:
So if I SBR my 300 pistol, can I still carry it loaded in a vehicle? Or do I need to get another pistol for carrying loaded in a vehicle?

So if I SBR my 300 pistol, can I still carry it loaded in a vehicle? Or do I need to get another pistol for carrying loaded in a vehicle?

It’s based on the state you live in, here it’s the hunting laws that get you. It’s not a pistol anymore in PA, it has to be unloaded. Mag can be next to it, rifles have to be empty.

Remember tho, take the stock off and put the brace back on and it’s a pistol again.

It’s based on the state you live in, here it’s the hunting laws that get you. It’s not a pistol anymore in PA, it has to be unloaded. Mag can be next to it, rifles have to be empty.

Remember tho, take the stock off and put the brace back on and it’s a pistol again.
As far as I understand it, it’s similar here in NH. Once it’s a rifle, no loaded in or ON vehicle. Pistols, no issue.

Guys, I just got some really good news. I just got baller status. The ATF just approved 14 Form 4s I had pending. The oldest date was 10/13/18 and the latest was 07/14/19! Also, I took today and tomorrow off, range day!!!

I will post a pic of the stash tomorrow.

I don't know what I like more, the fast approval time or that it was for 14 forms.

Back
Top Bottom