• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NFA EFORM - CALIBER - DISAPROVED

hy2rogen

NES Member
Just a heads up for all you NFA guys...

My Form 1 was just disapproved today because the website rejected any letters in the caliber field. This was submitted back in March.

So no 5.56 MM only 5.56

Or in my case 300 AAC is just 300.

I had to resubmit today and re-pay (supposedly getting a refund), now waiting for another four months. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Repay? So now it will cost you 400? That stinks!

So what would 9mm be just 9? Very strange that it was rejected. Unit of measure is rather important.

Last edited:
They should refund you if it gets disapproved, they did for me.

It's really aggravating that something so stupid will get you rejected, it's not like it really matters, they know what caliber your talking about.

Last edited:
Why would have to type it, i believe the eforms has drop down bows where you select the bullet size and they another to select caliber, MM and so on

wait if you need to make corrections in an eform they disapprove the entire ****ing form? and then make you correct it and re-submit with another $200--did i read that right? you're paying $200 for the tax stamp, not their time, energy, or anything else. if you don't have the stamp you are entitled your $200. it's not a "use it or lose it" scenario here. what the actual rapid ****?

my paper form 1 got sent back for corrections, but it wasn't disapproved. i made my corrections, shit, i sent them a whole new form as i'd hand-written my first one and typed the second. approved, stamped, done.

if they are running things the way you just described it OP you need to start shouting to SAF, GOA, shit even the NRA. anyone who'll listen because that is BULLSHIT and not right at all.

wait if you need to make corrections in an eform they disapprove the entire ****ing form? and then make you correct it and re-submit with another $200--did i read that right? you're paying $200 for the tax stamp, not their time, energy, or anything else. if you don't have the stamp you are entitled your $200. it's not a "use it or lose it" scenario here. what the actual rapid ****?

my paper form 1 got sent back for corrections, but it wasn't disapproved. i made my corrections, shit, i sent them a whole new form as i'd hand-written my first one and typed the second. approved, stamped, done.

if they are running things the way you just described it OP you need to start shouting to SAF, GOA, shit even the NRA. anyone who'll listen because that is BULLSHIT and not right at all.

The rep on the NFA line said that if the form is disapproved then the fee as "automatically" refunded. I haven't seen the money yet. I chose to resubmit ASAP and re-pay. I figured I could always do a charge back with my CC.

Apparently with the new system they are not able to edit once submitted, and has to be disapproved. I think is also means that I have to go do the end of the line.

On a side note the WEBSITE filled in the caliber for me. I selected "300 AAC BLACKOUT" from the drop-down box. This is what really pisses me off.

The rep on the NFA line said that if the form is disapproved then the fee as "automatically" refunded. I haven't seen the money yet. I chose to resubmit ASAP and re-pay. I figured I could always do a charge back with my CC.

Apparently with the new system they are not able to edit once submitted, and has to be disapproved. I think is also means that I have to go do the end of the line.

On a side note the WEBSITE filled in the caliber for me. I selected "300 AAC BLACKOUT" from the drop-down box. This is what really pisses me off.

You selected from a set of options they provided you and it was rejected because of the option chosen? Makes no sense.

Total bullshit like this is one of the reasons why people are less inclined to actually go for a tax stamp. They seem to change the rules more often than they change their underwear. Or the site will be down for an unknown length of time for some unknown reason (well, other than it was probably coded badly and hosted on shitty hardware).

You selected from a set of options they provided you and it was rejected because of the option chosen? Makes no sense.

But that is the government at its' best... [rofl]

- - - Updated - - -

Total bullshit like this is one of the reasons why people are less inclined to actually go for a tax stamp. They seem to change the rules more often than they change their underwear. Or the site will be down for an unknown length of time for some unknown reason (well, other than it was probably coded badly and hosted on shitty hardware).

You mean the website running on Windows 3.1...coded in notepad? [laugh]

The only thing that levels me out is that I have two other SBR stamps approved so I can still play with my 300 Upper. I just am OCD and don't like mix matching.

But that is the government at its' best... [rofl]

- - - Updated - - -

You mean the website running on Windows 3.1...coded in notepad? [laugh]

The only thing that levels me out is that I have two other SBR stamps approved so I can still play with my 300 Upper. I just am OCD and don't like mix matching.

Coding in notepad isn't a bad thing... Running on Windows 3.1 on the other hand... I wouldn't be surprised if the site is running on something like Xandros... Or some other linux distro that's not known for stability, or for running as a server.

BTW, I've coded web sites with a simple text edit application before. Only thing needed above notepad was line count (and maybe column count) so you could easily locate offending code.

Refund will take about 2 weeks to post.

It seems random how they decide which forms can be fixed and which must be cancelled and resubmitted. It's always worth asking the examiner directly, or asking Lee or Gary just to be sure.

MULTI is listed in the drop down box, but that will get your form denied also. I'm pretty sure one of my old paper form 1's says "5.56 NATO", but my e-form says "5.56" because that was the only option in the dropdown menu.

I think what happens is when people try to form 1 a new lower (as in a model that no one has done before), they need to submit pictures to Gary for the manufacturer/model, but they type whatever they want for caliber. It then saves and adds the manuf/model/caliber to the dropdowns for future users. So the first person could theoretically submit a form for like an "NES Manufacturing AR100" stripped lower, send in pics to confirm make/model, but type in something idiotic for the caliber, like "LOLZOMBIEZ", and that option would be available for the next person to form 1 an "NES Manufacturing AR100" lower even though it isn't a valid choice.

Last edited:
Coding in notepad isn't a bad thing... Running on Windows 3.1 on the other hand... I wouldn't be surprised if the site is running on something like Xandros... Or some other linux distro that's not known for stability, or for running as a server.

I rather use any linux, rather than deal with windows. [smile]

Refund will take about 2 weeks to post.

It seems random how they decide which forms can be fixed and which must be cancelled and resubmitted. It's always worth asking the examiner directly, or asking Lee or Gary just to be sure.

MULTI is listed in the drop down box, but that will get your form denied also. I'm pretty sure one of my old paper form 1's says "5.56 NATO", but my e-form says "5.56" because that was the only option in the dropdown menu.

I think what happens is when people try to form 1 a new lower (as in a model that no one has done before), they need to submit pictures to Gary for the manufacturer/model, but they type whatever they want for caliber. It then saves and adds the manuf/model/caliber to the dropdowns for future users. So the first person could theoretically submit a form for like an "NES Manufacturing AR100" stripped lower, send in pics to confirm make/model, but type in something idiotic for the caliber, like "LOLZOMBIEZ", and that option would be available for the next person to form 1 an "NES Manufacturing AR100" lower even though it isn't a valid choice.

Two weeks...good to know. Interesting how long it takes to actually get the money back.

My approved paper Form 1's have "5.56 MM" listed as the caliber, hence why I selected that box. Thanks for the info.

Very odd. contact Gary Schiable @ NFA regarding what happened. He helped me out with a mess and made sure my refund got back to me. The dropdowns should be 'official' and they can correct any stupid errors as needed.

Very odd. contact Gary Schiable @ NFA regarding what happened. He helped me out with a mess and made sure my refund got back to me. The dropdowns should be 'official' and they can correct any stupid errors as needed.

Sinitron --

I appreciate your information and it was actually easier than that. And I can't believe I am saying "easy" and "Government" in the same sentence.

I talked to Damien at the ATF and he said to email [email protected].

Received an email back from Dana Pickles (my examiner) that stated that they went a head and approved the form. Then received a second email with the approval.

Wow...

Thanks for the help.

My understanding is that once i have an SBR registered, tax paid, im legally allowed to have multiple calibers and multiple barrel lengths even if the barrel length is shorter than my form 1 states, Is this correct???

They do request that if you change calibers in a "permanent" way (e.g. you get a new upper in a different caliber and get rid of the original upper) that you notify them of the caliber change so they can update the NFRTR. I don't believe it is legally required, but it's probably a good idea in any case.

They do request that if you change calibers in a "permanent" way (e.g. you get a new upper in a different caliber and get rid of the original upper) that you notify them of the caliber change so they can update the NFRTR. I don't believe it is legally required, but it's probably a good idea in any case.

if it's okay for them to send me a piece of paper in 11 months, it'll be chill if i do the same, right? [laugh]

Ok, been searching for this answer, couldn't find it... guestion?>

I'm applying for an sbr using a Krinkoff, Nodak spud receiver.. I'm all good except for caliber.. 7.62 is what came up in the pop up box... not 7.62x39 is 7.62 ok? Also, for unit of measure.. should I put anything there?

thanks for any help.. I need to add an AK to the SBR family.. [smile]

one more question, what is the shortest length we can register..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom