• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nfa trust

So I'm seriously considering opening up an nfa trust. For all the good reasons that come with one. I've been researching online and there's a lot of out of state attorneys that offer it for mass. I would much rather have a mass attorney who knows the mass system do it for me so I know every thing is done properly. Any body have any experience with any one in mass or have one that they obtained recently. Any and all info is much appreciated!thanks in advance nes brain trust!

Rock Maple did mine and is on NES.

Honestly, there are fewer benefits to an NFA trust since 13 July 2016: No more eFile, you need to get fingerprints, no more CLEO sign off, etc.

Thanks for the reply big blue. So things have changed. No more Cleo sign off or it stil surpasses Cleo sign off? I was hoping to not have to deal with the whole photo and fingerprint deal. If that's the case I may just have to do the reg nfa form deal with all that stuff involved

I live in Mass and Rock Maple did mine as well. I got my apps in just before the July 13 deadline. At this point I dont see the benefits of a trust.

Thanks for the reply big blue. So things have changed. No more Cleo sign off or it stil surpasses Cleo sign off? I was hoping to not have to deal with the whole photo and fingerprint deal. If that's the case I may just have to do the reg nfa form deal with all that stuff involved

For all NFA Form 1 and Form 4 applications, the CLEO must be notified (does not require approval, only notification), and fingerprints/photos much be provided. In the case of an application on behalf of a trust, all Responsible Persons (RPs) must provide fingerprints and photos.

After 13 Jul 16, Form 1/4 applications by a trust require photos and fingerprints for all Responsible Persons (basically trustees), plus all RP's have to fill out the Form ATF 5320.23 Responsible Person Questionnaire (which looks a lot like a 4473). The first 2 pages go to the ATF and the second copy without the picture and serial number are sent to the local CLEO. Here's a link to the .23 form.

ETA: Serves me right for talking to a guy in the middle of my post. You get "scooped."

Thanks for all the input guys. So at this point it's a tough call. Mine as well just go after the two tax stamps I want on my own. My only concern if if something happens to me I don't want my nfa items going to where ever it is they go if you don't have a trust but from what I'm reading here it sounds like a trust is gonna be quite the hassle especially where I planned on having the wife and a two close friends on it

I prefer trust over individual ownership.that said all my new transfers are individual. It too much of a hassle to have so many people in to many states go through the motions. I may transfer them to my trust ocne i have possesion (and eat several 200 taxes)

I used guntrustlawyers.com. there wasn't as many chrap options when i did it.With guntrustlawyers you get an instate lawyer and a more nation type of one (based out of Florida) and it much more of a legit legal document the some of these $49 bar napkin trusts available.

Id probibly go with guntrustlawyers again, and there blog is informational.

Last edited:
Not to hijack, but on a personal I thought you sent two copies of the form with photos and finger prints to ATF and then the copy of the first two pages to CLEO (no photo or prints)

Asking as it was mentioned above for trust only one copy was sent to ATF and I assumed those forms were the same regardless of trust or personal.

Thanks.

Its two to the atf and one to the CLEO.. if you get the packet from the atf to hand fill out. Its labeled at the bottem of each page.. the CLEO copy is different in that the ATF version the items SN is redacted.
many people just use 3 copys of the ATF version and provide the SN to the PD volunterily either because it doesnt matter or because they are unaware they dont have to.

Its two to the atf and one to the CLEO.. if you get the packet from the atf to hand fill out. Its labeled at the bottem of each page.. the CLEO copy is different in that the ATF version the items SN is redacted.
many people just use 3 copys of the ATF version and provide the SN to the PD volunterily either because it doesnt matter or because they are unaware they dont have to.

OK, so a copy of the two pages minus photo and prints to the CLEO meets the requirement and two copies with everything go to the ATF.

Thank you.

I live in Mass and Rock Maple did mine as well. I got my apps in just before the July 13 deadline. At this point I dont see the benefits of a trust.

About all that is left is the ability to have multiple people on the trust. So any of them can be in possession of the NFA item without you having to be with them. Also you can pass the item down through your will or just have it stay in the family after you die if you have your kids on the trust.

About all that is left is the ability to have multiple people on the trust. So any of them can be in possession of the NFA item without you having to be with them. Also you can pass the item down through your will or just have it stay in the family after you die if you have your kids on the trust.

All solid points. +1 to you

Having the Trust name on the engraving is one benefit. Rock maple online version is good to go and inexpensive option.

Wondering what's the requirement now if you want to add additional trustees post stamp?
What print form types are required and do they need to be done by your towns LE or can be done anywhere?

Having the Trust name on the engraving is one benefit. Rock maple online version is good to go and inexpensive option.

Wondering what's the requirement now if you want to add additional trustees post stamp?
What print form types are required and do they need to be done by your towns LE or can be done anywhere?

No paperwork or notifications if you add trustees post-stamp, until and unless you submit for another stamp. The fingerprints, photos, etc. only apply to RP's on the trust at time of submission. There's no "retroactive" paperwork. Some people are following a course of removing all but one trustee, filing the form, and upon receipt of the approved form, adding the trustees back.

Fingerprints need to be on FBI (FD-258) fingerprint cards, and can be taken by anyone "qualified to do so." Doesn't need to be LE. Many are getting the cards, their own stamp pads, and "rolling their own."

If you go without a trust, does it still need to be engraved?

Is it true that you can not e file anymore?

I presume now the process is much longer.

If you go without a trust, does it still need to be engraved?

Is it true that you can not e file anymore?

I presume now the process is much longer.

Assuming you're talking about a Form 1, yes. The maker and location (city/state) are always required, whether the maker is a trust or an individual.

eFile was discontinued 13 Jul 16.

Yes. Paper forms are running 8 months +. I'm still waiting on a stamp from 5/26/16.

So I'm seriously considering opening up an nfa trust. For all the good reasons that come with one. I've been researching online and there's a lot of out of state attorneys that offer it for mass. I would much rather have a mass attorney who knows the mass system do it for me so I know every thing is done properly. Any body have any experience with any one in mass or have one that they obtained recently. Any and all info is much appreciated!thanks in advance nes brain trust!

Feel free to send me a PM with any questions. I'm happy to discuss over the phone as well.

Back
Top Bottom