NH Bill extending Castle Doctrine

Hi Guys,

I got the following email from my town's Republican Town Committee and I want to pass the word.

HB160 Extending the "Castle Doctrine" to the use of physical force in defense of a person to wherever he or she has a legal right to be.

Will be heard by the CRIMINAL JUSTICE AND PUBLIC SAFETY

Thursday January 29th at 1:30 PM in Room LOB 204

The following Representatives and Senators who are sponsoring this very important piece of legislation need your help: Rep. Leo Pepino, Rep. Robert Mead, Rep. Barbara Shaw, Rep. Alfred Baldasaro, Rep. Pamela Price, Sen. John Gallus, Sen. Sheila Roberge, Sen. Robert Letourneau

Please pass this information on to all supporters, as we need to garner as much support as possible when the committee hears this legislation. The key is the amount of pressure that you can exert by your physical presence and your testimony at the scheduled committee hearing.

In addition we must mobilize the 2nd Amendment supporters from around the state to call, e-mail and write letters to the members of the Criminal Justice and Public Safety committee listed below urging them to pass HB160.

Thank you in advance for your help and support in the fight to protect our rights.

Sincerely yours,

Bob Mead

House of Representatives

Hillsborough District 4

I just emailed all the reps for Merrimack, all but 1 was a Republican. Lets hope they listen.

Dear Representative Batula,

My name is Navy Moose and I am a new resident of Merrimack. I am writing to ask you to support HB-160, which extends the NH Castle Doctrine.

I am firm believer in the right to self defense and no homeowner or tenant should be required to flee when a criminal has invaded their residence.

Thank you for listening,

Sincerely,

Navy Moose
Merrimack, NH 03054

Last edited:
The important thing is that this is a "Personal Protection Act".....
NOT a "Castle Doctrine" bill......

There is a hearing on 1/29 @ 1:00pm in Concord and encourage as many people to go as possible to show support for the Bill

HB 160 Personal Protection Act

Do you know, under current New Hampshire law, you are not allowed to defend yourself if you are attacked in a public place? Imagine coming out of the bank after cashing your paycheck, or out of the grocery store with your children in tow and, suddenly, a man steps out of the shadows, charges towards you, pulls a knife, and demands your money. A woman returns to her car at the Mall of NH. An attacker with a baseball bat demands she get into his vehicle. You leave the hockey game at the Verizon Center and return to your vehicle in the parking garage at the Center of NH. Two men approach with a gun drawn demanding that you....

In the above scenarios, in order for you to use deadly force to defend yourself, you must make a split second decision. Is the attacker “about to use deadly force” or “committing or about to commit a kidnapping or forcible sex offense”? You must be able to prove to police that you could not have safely retreated from the situation, or it will be you who goes to jail (if you survive the attack).

Larry Pratt, Executive Director, Gun Owners of America, put it this way:

“Somebody should not be twice victimized, first by the assailant, and then by the legal system trying to destroy his life.” How could anyone actually believe that you should not defend yourself until you’ve run out of room to flee? It means that your life is not worth protecting except as a last resort!

House Bill 160 fixes the current law by saying that you may use deadly force in defense of your life “in any place you have a right to be.” HB 160 requires prosecutors to prove that you were not in a situation where you needed to use deadly force, instead of using the presumption that you must retreat from the attack. No one should use deadly force unless they have to! No one should go to jail for justifiably using deadly force to defend oneself.

Your Help Needed Immediately!

1) Call or email your Representatives and ask them to pass HB 160 so that you may defend yourself and you loved ones.

(to find out who your Representatives are, call your town or city hall, or go to http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/ns/whosmyleg/default.asp )

2) Encourage your friends to join you as a member of NHFC and help preserve our rights. http://www.nhfc-ontarget.org/Membership_Application.html

Remember to always be polite and respectful when contacting your legislators.

Public hearing was yesterday, executive session is 2009-03-05 13:30:00.

Supposedly Evan Nappen drafted a better version of this bill as well and circulated it.

I don't need the state (any state) to tell me when my life is in danger and when I can or cannot defend it.

Whomever passed the original law should be hanged.

New Hampshire "Castle Doctrine" Hearing Continues on February 12
The House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee's January 29 hearing on the "Castle Doctrine" bill, HB160, was a marathon session from 1:30 to 4:00pm, and will continue on Thursday, February 12 at 1:45pm in room 204, LOB to afford more people an opportunity to speak on the bill.

This measure, sponsored by State Representative Pepino (R- Hillsborough 11), to some extent, expands a person's right to use deadly force to protect oneself. However, under this proposal, a person must still prove that he/she was unable to retreat from the attack thereby putting the burden of proof on the victim. THIS NEEDS TO BE CHANGED. The burden of proof must rest with the state otherwise the bill could prove to be pointless.

In the face of an unlawful attack, law-abiding citizens should not be forced to retreat from a place they have a right to be. Victims of crime should no longer have to worry about being arrested or prosecuted if they use force to defend themselves or their family. New Hampshire needs a law the same as it was prior to the time when judges and courts started putting the rights of criminals ahead of the rights of the law-abiding.

The House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee has scheduled a hearing on House Bill 160 for Thursday, January 29, at 1:30 p.m., in room 204, LOB. If you are unable to attend, please contact the members of the House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee TODAY and urge them to support a measure that fully protects the use of self-defense for the law-abiding. In addition, please contact your State Representative TODAY at (603) 271-2548 and ask them to encourage their fellow Representatives to add this provision to House Bill 160.

I was wondering what (if anything) happened on Feb 12th?

With so many people tracking (and seeming in favor of this), I'd think there would be some reports on what happened on the 12th. I tried google to see what I could find, but seemed to only find reports of the original Jan 29th meeting, blogs, etc.

Perhaps no one has posted on what happend on the 12th yet?

Keeping an eye on this...

I just emailed all the reps for Merrimack, all but 1 was a Republican. Lets hope they listen.

Dear Representative Batula,

My name is Navy Moose and I am a new resident of Merrimack. I am writing to ask you to support HB-160, which extends the NH Castle Doctrine.

I am firm believer in the right to self defense and no homeowner or tenant should be required to flee when a criminal has invaded their residence.

Thank you for listening,

Sincerely,

Navy Moose
Merrimack, NH 03054

We already have a Castle Doctrine in New Hampshire. You do not need to flee from your home. The problem is anywhere else you must. If you are outside your home and someone attacks, you must flee. If they get into your house and you aren't in your house...you may still have to flee (and not into the house).

This ensures that if you have the legal right to be somewhere you can defend yourself.

Hmmm, crud, I thought this was coming up this Thrusday, I just emailed my reps. Well I'm sure they will ignore me and vote against it when it comes up anyway, because you know thugs and criminals have just as much of a right to attack you and not be killed or wounded.

Lynch can go suck a fat one for vetoing this when it passed … way to protect and preserve the thug and gangster community that you rely on so heavily for votes.

Back
Top Bottom