• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH: call these senators before Tues Jan 14

It's not bizarre - they know NH law better than GOA and they think they have an amendment that will net improve things for NH gun rights (the 'get off the list' process which doesn't exist today). And the NRA is on the fence but NRA's own legislative action group supports it with something like the proposed amendment.

All that said, this is not an R-controlled house year and I think their amendment attempts will fail or be co-opted (or time wasted and no bill passed despite spending political capital and time) so I still strongly oppose it.

Nevertheless, we shouldn't all be simplistic children and go "it talks about federal law O NOEZ" every time we see a bill reference federal law. There are superb opportunities to in effect hack federal law at the state level and we shouldn't be naive or dismissive about them. Someday perhaps with a solid supermajority, we can... oh wait, no we can't because ALL the groups will shoot down EVEN CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY unless it meets exactly each of their conflicting criteria.

This **** has to stop.

PGNH just lost my respect and support....forever

I respect the HELL out of Evan Nappen but this bill is horribly flawed and terribly misguided.

If they WANTED to provide a legal means to force the state of NH to transmit a record of a person who had been cleared of mental issues to NICS that would have been easy enough to accomplish

But supporting the rest of this trainwreck does nothing but subvert NH and our legislature and further undermine our rights by supporting the patently unconstitutional 68 GCA and NICS.

They've missed the point entirely that this should not be a federal issue as the Fed gov has no power under the US Constitution for NICS to begin with,

All of the NH groups have screwed us.

Regardless of whether that is true or not the fact of the matter is that PGNH is the ONLY group that doesn't have meeting and doesn't not allow member input/guidance/votes regarding
what agenda's/legislation the group supports or opposes.

While I respect Mr Nappen immensely the group is constructed as a top down, do what we tell you to do organization......whether they are frequently right/do good things from time to time is not relevant.......stunts like this are the reason why none of us should support the group.......support folks like Mr Nappen personally but PGNH as a group should be abandoned by all Pro RKBA individuals.

Email sent.

Dear Senator:

I oppose New Hampshire Senate Bill 244 -- legislation to extend gun bans to perhaps thousands of Granite State residents.

Under this bill, if you ever have a guardian appointed pursuant to RSA 464-A, then you will lose your gun rights -- permanently. This will happen, even if the guardian is appointed in a "star chamber" ex parte proceeding without any due process because, for instance, you were to arrive at a hospital incoherent or unconscious.

Under this bill, if you are committed to a mental institution pursuant to RSA 135C:34-45, you will lose your gun rights -- permanently. And, under a "weasel word loophole" in the bill, the government could take away your guns, even if the commitment is made by a psychiatrist without a court order pursuant to RSA 135C:27.

Please see the supporting memoranda from Michael Hammond -- who is a Dunbarton resident and the Legislative Counsel for Gun Owners of America -- at the following URLs:

* http://www.gunowners.org/state1112014.htm
* http://www.gunowners.org/state1132014.htm
* http://www.gunowners.org/state1162014.htm

On January 14, gun owners from all over New Hampshire jammed the State House halls to testify against this anti-gun bill. But the committee, which chose to hold the hearing in a tiny room which excluded pro-gunners, instead heard one anti-gunner after another, even barring testimony from a pro-gun state representative who would normally be accorded courtesy under Senate procedures.

The lying anti-gunners whom the committee chose to hear claimed that S.B. 244 would not disqualify any Granite Stater from owning a gun.

THIS AN ABSOLUTE BALD-FACED LIE.

Gun Owners of America has repeatedly held up the example of its Legislative Counsel's mother, who had an RSA 464-A guardian appointed because of Alzheimer's. She was not, in 1998, stripped of her Second Amendment rights and entered on the gun-ban NICS blacklist. But she would be if this bill were passed into law.

The anti-gun loons who are pushing this bill would argue that our counsel's mother was an unacknowledged prohibited person. But if this is true, so is every New Hampshire resident who is on Medicare and who has Alzheimer's ... every New Hampshire resident who, as a child, was diagnosed with ADHD under the federal IDEA program ... and every New Hampshire policeman or firearm receiving Social Security disability for PTSD.

The notion that New Hampshire somehow has the obligation to turn in every New Hampshire resident whom the ATF would like to strip of guns under its impermissibly broad regulations is a dangerous and unacceptable one.

Therefore, I would insist that you oppose S.B. 244.

Finally, I would like you to consider two additional articles for your edification:

* One is a description of a heroic veteran who has lost his constitutional rights due to gun-grabbers such as the ones who testified before your committee. (See http://tinyurl.com/nvktknq.)
* The second is about efforts by doctors to resist demands that they be unwitting instruments of the anti-gun Obama administration. (See http://tinyurl.com/ntd34t7.)

Regards,

Emails sent to Carson. Lasky, Cataldo, Soucy and Boudin. Probably too late for phone calls but will try and call Tuesday morning as I doubt they're "working" on Monday.

Regardless of whether that is true or not the fact of the matter is that PGNH is the ONLY group that doesn't have meeting and doesn't not allow member input/guidance/votes regarding
what agenda's/legislation the group supports or opposes.

While I respect Mr Nappen immensely the group is constructed as a top down, do what we tell you to do organization......whether they are frequently right/do good things from time to time is not relevant.......stunts like this are the reason why none of us should support the group.......support folks like Mr Nappen personally but PGNH as a group should be abandoned by all Pro RKBA individuals.

Wouldn't that make Sam Cohen the one that controls PGNH agenda? Which would mean when he leaves, due to retirement or death, the "agenda" of PGNH can change.

What annoyed me greatly was Nappen hawking his annulment service saying how affordable it is while failing to note that one can get an annulment in NH with no attorney at all.

Advocating a bill that would all but guarantee you more business is the epitome of "conflict of interest" and actually speaks very lowly of ones character.

Now I can see why NHFC doesn't like PGNH.

Wouldn't that make Sam Cohen the one that controls PGNH agenda? Which would mean when he leaves, due to retirement or death, the "agenda" of PGNH can change. What annoyed me greatly was Nappen hawking his annulment service saying how affordable it is while failing to note that one can get an annulment in NH with no attorney at all. Advocating a bill that would all but guarantee you more business is the epitome of "conflict of interest" and actually speaks very lowly of ones character. Now I can see why NHFC doesn't like PGNH.

Exactly. My annulments took a total of an hour. It took longer for them to fix their paperwork mistake than my annulments. So easy a caveman could do it.

FYI!!! [angry][angry][angry]
There is another important hearing this week 1/21/2014: 1:15pm Universal background checks. We need to get people there if at all possible. (Yes, I know it is in the middle of the day and that will take some vacation time. I used 3 days of vacation fighting this crap just last week alone. If you can find a way to be there even for 2pm, that would help the hearing will run at least that long.

The goal of this bill is to create a brand new chapter in NH statutes about background checks. The fiscal note says this will cost $1,000,000 over the next four years.

We need to kill this bill:

2 New Chapter; Universal Background Checks for Firearms Sales. Amend RSA by inserting after chapter 159-D the following new chapter:

CHAPTER 159-E

UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR FIREARMS SALES

Full bill here:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2014/HB1589.html

Critical portions
159-E:2 Firearms Sales to be Conducted Through a Licensed Dealer.

I. No person shall sell or transfer a firearm unless:

(a) The person is a licensed firearms dealer; or

(b) The purchaser or transferee is a licensed firearms dealer; or

(c) The requirements of paragraph II are met.
159-E:4 Penalties.

I. Any person who violates any provision of this chapter shall be guilty of a class B felony. Each day or portion of a day during which a violation of this chapter is committed or continues shall constitute a separate offense.

II. The local law enforcement agency shall report all violations of this chapter by a licensed firearms dealer to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.

-Design.

Holy crap, what a mess of a bill. Deserves its own thread, please.
FYI!!! [angry][angry][angry]
There is another important hearing this week 1/21/2014: 1:15pm Universal background checks. We need to get people there if at all possible. (Yes, I know it is in the middle of the day and that will take some vacation time. I used 3 days of vacation fighting this crap just last week alone. If you can find a way to be there even for 2pm, that would help the hearing will run at least that long.

The goal of this bill is to create a brand new chapter in NH statutes about background checks. The fiscal note says this will cost $1,000,000 over the next four years.

We need to kill this bill:

2 New Chapter; Universal Background Checks for Firearms Sales. Amend RSA by inserting after chapter 159-D the following new chapter:

CHAPTER 159-E

UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR FIREARMS SALES

Full bill here:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2014/HB1589.html

Critical portions
159-E:2 Firearms Sales to be Conducted Through a Licensed Dealer.

I. No person shall sell or transfer a firearm unless:

(a) The person is a licensed firearms dealer; or

(b) The purchaser or transferee is a licensed firearms dealer; or

(c) The requirements of paragraph II are met.
159-E:4 Penalties.

I. Any person who violates any provision of this chapter shall be guilty of a class B felony. Each day or portion of a day during which a violation of this chapter is committed or continues shall constitute a separate offense.

II. The local law enforcement agency shall report all violations of this chapter by a licensed firearms dealer to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.

-Design.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Let's ride the euphoric wave we are on after getting HB1589 killed and finish the job with SB244.

Whether you managed to call your reps on HB1589, this job is easier - call your senator and make sure they know what the right way to vote on SB244 is. Irregardless of the idiotic support that PGNH threw behind this bill, it is a horrible bill that needs to die quickly.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Let's ride the euphoric wave we are on after getting HB1589 killed and finish the job with SB244.

Whether you managed to call your reps on HB1589, this job is easier - call your senator and make sure they know what the right way to vote on SB244 is. Irregardless of the idiotic support that PGNH threw behind this bill, it is a horrible bill that needs to die quickly.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this bill. Mainly because mental health (as a legal concept) is an area I know little about. So coming up with an understanding of what this bill does and why it is bad does not come easily.

I think that this may be what makes this bill easier for the legislators to pass because coming up with a coherent argument against it doesn't flow off the tip of ones tongue.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this bill. Mainly because mental health (as a legal concept) is an area I know little about. So coming up with an understanding of what this bill does and why it is bad does not come easily.

I think that this may be what makes this bill easier for the legislators to pass because coming up with a coherent argument against it doesn't flow off the tip of ones tongue.

You may wish to go down the road of "Since when has ceding a power reserved to the State ever ended well for us"..........

Gun control is fundamentally a usurpation of power on the part of the fed gov.

Not to mention the question of how defn of mentally fit/insanity/etc is left undefined and will be used badly and arbitrarily

Best to keep this a state issue

How about a sound off for folks that have contacted their Sens this weekend over this bad bill urging then to ITL it.

Still no change in status on gencourt site

I'd like to think this gets the "inexpedient to legislate" death. I wonder if "design" can comment (yes, I know he's a rep but I don't know of any NH Senators that regularly post on NES.)

The senate may pass this. If we want to kill this, [AND WE DO] we need to start calling the Senators.

-design

Back
Top Bottom