NH deer with pistol caliber carbines

Why would they restrict deer hunting using pistol caliber carbines to lever action only? They allow semi automatic pistols with a limit of six rounds.
I have a Ruger .44 Magnum semi auto carbine, which is a great deer gun.
They don't.

The restriction is only for areas where hunting is restricted to handgun or pistol. Including lever-action PCCs in .357, .44 Magnum, or .45 Colt was a concession to expand carbine hunting.

In all other areas where rifle hunting is legal, you can use any caliber greater than .22 LR, in any firearm.

They don't.

The restriction is only for areas where hunting is restricted to handgun or pistol. Including lever-action PCCs in .357, .44 Magnum, or .45 Colt was a concession to expand carbine hunting.

In all other areas where rifle hunting is legal, you can use any caliber greater than .22 LR, in any firearm.

I think sadly all the .22 rimfires are out, WRF and WMRF.

They don't.

I think the op is talking about the southern shotgun only zones that recently opened up to 357, 44 mag, and 45 colt rifles......and the rule specifically says lever action so semi autos in those clamberings are out. I also have a ruger 44 carbine that would be fantastic to use in zone m.....but can't because of how the rule is written.

I think the op is talking about the southern shotgun only zones that recently opened up to 357, 44 mag, and 45 colt rifles......and the rule specifically says lever action so semi autos in those clamberings are out. I also have a ruger 44 carbine that would be fantastic to use in zone m.....but can't because of how the rule is written.
That's still an expansion over what could be used before.

Rulemaking moves slowly and makes incremental changes. The people who don't want any hunting at all bombard the commission with objections about how every change means hikers and dogs will get shot.

Why would they restrict deer hunting using pistol caliber carbines to lever action only? They allow semi automatic pistols with a limit of six rounds.
Do you have the original 44 carbine with the tube mag or the later version that was magazine fed?

Mines the original design. Friggin fun little rifle to shoot and I have a 629 Smith so reloading 44 mag I get ammo for both rifle and pistol.

Do you have the original 44 carbine with the tube mag or the later version that was magazine fed?

Mines the original design. Friggin fun little rifle to shoot and I have a 629 Smith so reloading 44 mag I get ammo for both rifle and pistol.
Tube fed .44 mag carbine and an Iver Johnson .44 mag revolver and 1894 lever action
Wasn't it actually called the "Deerfield Carbine"?

Oh, and
[pics]

The people who don't want any hunting at all bombard the commission with objections about how every change means hikers and dogs will get shot.
Are there any states that require ANYONE in the woods during hunting season wear safety orange? Also, I know some states started allowing safety pink as well, for girls. Do any states do the safety yellow/green?

Do any of the New England states allow colors other than orange? Do any allow the old fashioned red hunting jackets still?

Oh, and
[pics]

Are there any states that require ANYONE in the woods during hunting season wear safety orange? Also, I know some states started allowing safety pink as well, for girls. Do any states do the safety yellow/green?

Do any of the New England states allow colors other than orange? Do any allow the old fashioned red hunting jackets still?
Thr first 44 carbine that was tube fed was just the model 44 carbine. Actually ruger called it the deerstalker but they had to change it because Ithaca shotguns had that name so they had to drop it.

The second version that was mag fed was the Deerfield carbine.

Ruger-44-Carbine-gigapixel-lines-width-1000px.jpg4c4b37608ba45ceee75ff06e1efc2332--planes-ruger-.jpg

Oh, and
[pics]

Nh has no orange requirement by regulation. It's only recommended.

Wish they came back out with the Deerfield Carbine, in .357 Magnum, semi-auto AND leve. Even better, in "takedown" versions!

Last edited:
Thr first 44 carbine that was tube fed was just the model 44 carbine. Actually ruger called it the deerstalker but they had to change it because Ithaca shotguns had that name so they had to drop it.

The second version that was mag fed was the Deerfield carbine.

View attachment 704614View attachment 704615
I posted it here before. I have a 4-did-git serial # forty-four carbine and accompany it with a 7.5" Redhawk. I part with those only in my Will.

Carbine length lever actions with the matching caliber revolvers. [rockon]

From years and threads past there are a significant number of those old original Ruger .44 Carbine owners on NES. [cheers]

Last edited:
I posted it here before. I have a 4-did-git serial # forty-four carbine and accompany it with a 7.5" Redhawk. I part with those only in my Will.

From years and threads past there are a significant number of those old original Ruger .44 Carbine owners on NES. [cheers]
I have a 44 carbine. Sweet gun.....they really are.

November 2014! 😱
F7067226-58C3-4599-8E78-AF999FF8FF14.jpeg

My 44 Carbine from 1976 is stamped with "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty".
I always thought that was cool.
My dad bought his back in late 60's when he hunted VT. Still have it, its a sweet little carbine. Sweet little period matching weaver 4 plex on it.

Its probably only been shot 100 times or so.

I don't care what else is discussed in this thread. You had me at Pistol Caliber Carbines....lmao....

Silly question: Who makes a .44 Magnum or .45 Long Colt carbine in lever or auto (or pump too, I guess) now?

I'm guessing Henry maybe, but not sure if a carbine or rifle. Does Ruger still make one?

Silly question: Who makes a .44 Magnum or .45 Long Colt carbine in lever or auto (or pump too, I guess) now?

I'm guessing Henry maybe, but not sure if a carbine or rifle. Does Ruger still make one?
No one makes a semi auto 44 mag (or 45 Colt) rifle anymore. It’s just lever guns from Henry Marlin Rossi etc

Definitely Henry makes lever actions for 44 mag and 45 colt.

Don't know of anyone that makes semi autos in 44 anymore. The rugers used if you can find one make nice little carbines for deer. They come up for sale every ow and then

Definitely Henry makes lever actions for 44 mag and 45 colt.

Don't know of anyone that makes semi autos in 44 anymore. The rugers used if you can find one make nice little carbines for deer. They come up for sale every ow and then
I just bought a Rossi (R92) in 45LC and a Henry BB Steel side gate in 44mag.

Marlin(ruger) does not make their 1894 copy yet. The only thing they've produced is 1895's in 45-70, in three different flavors.

Henry makes all of them new, the only one with the side gate is the Big Boy Steel I think.

There are Remlins and old New Haven Marlin 1894's in 44 and 45lc if you can find them.

Winchester Miroku Model 92's are out there if you can find them in 44 mag and 45lc.

I don't know of any that make a semi auto in .44 mag anymore. Ruger has made them and they DQed them years ago.

Ruger also made them in bolt and lever before is small amounts that have since been shelved. I wish I had bought the bolt 44 mag when I saw it come out.

I don't know why, but I just like the way the stock curves here, and the hardwood stock that will take a beating, along with the rest of the gun. Wish like heck they would bring these back.

The Ruger 96/44:
Ruger-Model-96-Cal-44-Magnum-Lever-Rifle_100846681_70986_56C6F0FEF7934E1D.JPG

There is also mention of the Henry "X" here:

Back
Top Bottom