NH firearms license

I know I don’t need a carry license in Nh but is it worth the 10 bucks to get one? I understand the reciprocity of having it but are there any other reasons I’m not thinking of?

I know I don’t need a carry license in Nh but is it worth the 10 bucks to get one? I understand the reciprocity of having it but are there any other reasons I’m not thinking of?
If firearm prohibitionists get the upper hand in the state, do away with constitutional carry, and start imposing various restrictions, it's entirely possible there will be some kind of grandfathering for those who have maintained their licenses. So $10 every 4+ years could end up giving you a few more years of carry, get you around some type of permit-to-purchase scheme, and/or help you avoid a nonsensical training requirement.

If your location is truly Boston, MA it isn't a $10.00 permit. Also, there is no reciprocity with MA.

Mail to: NH State Police Permits and License Unit 33 Hazen Drive Concord, NH 03305 FEE FOR ALL NON-RESIDENT APPLICATIONS: $100.00 (Five Year Permit) Make checks payable to: STATE OF N.H. - TREASURER Applications, NH Law and Administrative Rules governing non-resident Pistol/Revolver Licenses can be found on the State Police website at http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.htm

If firearm prohibitionists get the upper hand in the state, do away with constitutional carry, and start imposing various restrictions, it's entirely possible there will be some kind of grandfathering for those who have maintained their licenses. So $10 every 4+ years could end up giving you a few more years of carry, get you around some type of permit-to-purchase scheme, and/or help you avoid a nonsensical training requirement.

Pant shitting hysterics = 10/10

IIRC there are some finer points of federal law regarding carrying within 1000' of a school that are defeated by having a state permit, but you'd really have to screw up in NH to get on the L.E.O.'s radar on that subject.

There are more advantages to a NH resident having a NH P&R license than a non resident having one, but we would love to have your $100 and encourage you to come visit frequently.

Go buy more depends, I think you need them.

If you live in MA it is $100 and really buys you nothing other than compliance with the never-enforced Fed law about being armed within 1000' of a school.
The US will cease to exist as a country before all that would happen in NH. NH is NOT MA!!
Pant shitting hysterics = 10/10
Agree 1000%.
IIRC there are some finer points of federal law regarding carrying within 1000' of a school that are defeated by having a state permit, but you'd really have to screw up in NH to get on the L.E.O.'s radar on that subject.

There are more advantages to a NH resident having a NH P&R license than a non resident having one, but we would love to have your $100 and encourage you to come visit frequently.
Local/NH State Police can't arrest/enforce the Fed 1000' law. It would have to be a Federal LEO to make that arrest and prosecution and it just isn't done.

For a resident of NH, the license pays off. I recently did a FTF with another NES'r who I don't know. Cash, show my NH P/R and legally we are done, no FFL fee, no other paperwork required by any laws.

The US will cease to exist as a country before all that would happen in NH. NH is NOT MA!!
not yet, but, this is how it will become MA before too long. On the plus side, NH is about to be treated to some really great graffiti artists!

I'm joining a club and $10 for the permit is cheaper than $50 for a background check. I let mine lapse when we went concarry.
That's all I got.

New Hampshire has no jurisdiction on that, as there is no corresponding state law, other than actually being on school grounds or in the building. That is one of the things that idiot from the NRA did to screw up the early Constitutional Carry endeavor. He wanted New Hampshire to incorporate federal law into state law.

If I am selling a firearm FTF, I require a NH permit if I don't know the person. Otherwise, it's an FFL on THEM! Likewise, I've been asked for mine while making a private purchase. Some guys cry about it, too Fng bad,
I add that to my F2F sale postings too, here and at my F&Gs, but seldom ask to see it at the transaction. Most have offered and I glance at the NH DL & PRL in their hand and say, we’re good. Once, somebody arrived in a car with MA plates, saying their buddy drove them, and didn’t have his NH DL on him. Sorry - nope. Go-Time isn’t Go-to-Jail-Time for some entrapment BS.

While they both looked OK, I never got a follow-up when I said we can reschedule. Not an NES Green, so I just wrote it off…could be they were just pissed off, found a better deal, etc.

New Hampshire has no jurisdiction on that, as there is no corresponding state law, other than actually being on school grounds or in the building. That is one of the things that idiot from the NRA did to screw up the early Constitutional Carry endeavor. He wanted New Hampshire to incorporate federal law into state law.
There's no state law regarding that, either. There's no state prohibition on carrying on school grounds or in a building, and local political entities are prohibited by preemption from enacting any such laws themselves.

I am in Michigan visiting. My Michigan CPL expires in Jan. But, my NH CPL covers me. I use it more when I buy firearms here. Makes for a easy purchase.

Hi, I’m Bill. Hi, I’m George. Now we know each other.

This is exactly why I like this law. How do you define personally known to you in the age of social media? It is vague enough that it benefits us.

If the NH gun lobby was smart, they would say we already have universal background checks for pistols. Especially as these clowns are at it again with their dumb LSR. Trying to tax the 2A with UBCs.

Capture.JPG

Plenty more anti 2A crap that will go nowhere this year: New Hampshire Legislative Service Requests (LSR's)

The last time I looked there were only 200, now 600+. I think last year we had 800+. I'll wait until the bill numbers are published before bitching too much about it.

If your location is truly Boston, MA it isn't a $10.00 permit. Also, there is no reciprocity with MA.

Mail to: NH State Police Permits and License Unit 33 Hazen Drive Concord, NH 03305 FEE FOR ALL NON-RESIDENT APPLICATIONS: $100.00 (Five Year Permit) Make checks payable to: STATE OF N.H. - TREASURER Applications, NH Law and Administrative Rules governing non-resident Pistol/Revolver Licenses can be found on the State Police website at http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.htm

I haven’t updated my profile, I moved to NH and I won’t carry into MA.

I am new to NH and have been looking at joining a sportsmen club near me. Don't know if this has been mentioned, but some clubs require license as a means of having a criminal background check performed on you as a membership pre-requisite. FWIW.

I am new to NH and have been looking at joining a sportsmen club near me. Don't know if this has been mentioned, but some clubs require license as a means of having a criminal background check performed on you as a membership pre-requisite. FWIW.
The NH R&PL doesn't require a background check, and is not evidence of one.

The NH R&PL doesn't require a background check, and is not evidence of one.
The law requires the applicant not have any prohibiting factors, I would take this as requiring the check, I can't imagine a PO exposing himself to the liability that would come with not doing the check. And I can tell you with 100% certainty, that the 2 PDs where these came up in conversation, absolutely run checks. The same check that's run when you purchase a handgun.
This fits with the accepted practice of a buyer in a FtF having a P&R, as sufficient proof to the seller that there are no prohibiting factors.

Remember, in a FTF it is on the seller to know the buyer is not prohibited. There is an assumption that you would know this of someone you have known for some time, the P&R is accepted as sufficient proof. Buy just saying Hi my name is, at the time of sale, and claiming that means They are known to you, isn't going to hold up in court.

The law requires the applicant not have any prohibiting factors, I would take this as requiring the check, I can't imagine a PO exposing himself to the liability that would come with not doing the check. And I can tell you with 100% certainty, that the 2 PDs where these came up in conversation, absolutely run checks. The same check that's run when you purchase a handgun.
This fits with the accepted practice of a buyer in a FtF having a P&R, as sufficient proof to the seller that there are no prohibiting factors.

Remember, in a FTF it is on the seller to know the buyer is not prohibited. There is an assumption that you would know this of someone you have known for some time, the P&R is accepted as sufficient proof. Buy just saying Hi my name is, at the time of sale, and claiming that means They are known to you, isn't going to hold up in court.
That's not true. The law says it's legal "as long as he or she does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law." It doesn't place an affirmative duty to know, or to find out. If I don't have actual knowledge that you're prohibited, or have reason to believe it, I'm good to go in the law's eyes.

Back
Top Bottom