NH Gun Laws

I had a non-resident LTC in New Hampshire back in the late '80s if I recall correctly. Basically just a piece of paper I think it's in my toolbox down in Florida now. Is others have said in this thread or other threads you don't need it but it covers your backside on a couple of technicalities like school zones and it used to be you needed one to have a firearm on you on a all-terrain vehicle but someone said that law has changed but don't quote me I'm not a lawyer

How long has NH had a LTC for non residents? I am in Mass and got my NH non resident LTC ...I assume it's new in NH?
It’s always been an option; however, the “resident” and “non-resident” license weren’t a thing before shall-issue in 1959.

Before 1959…

NH was may issue for concealed carry until 1959. You were able to carry openly (even in a vehicle) without a license. Anyone could apply to any police chief or magistrate for a discretionary license. They were valid for 1 year IIRC.

1959 to 2017….

NH became shall issue for concealed carry. You needed a license to carry in a vehicle. police chiefs and mayors/town selectmen became the licensing officers for residents and only residents of that jurisdiction could apply. Non-residents of NH now had to apply to the state police; which before 1959, had no ability to issue.

Big day tomorrow for NH gun grabbers! Need to ask you all to take 5 mins and log your positions….

Go here:
The New Hampshire House of Representatives

Select: Feb 2nd
Select: House Criminal Justice & Public Safety

Here are the bills and suggestions (note this is from a gun grabber site so I corrected):

9:30 a.m. HB 1050-FN, relative to establishing a voluntary waiver of the right to purchase a firearm. This bill allows for a voluntary do-not-sell list. SUPPORT OPPOSE

10:00 a.m. HB 1186-FN, relative to firearm purchaser’s privacy. This bill prohibits the assigning of a specific merchant code to the sale of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories. OPPOSE SUPPORT

10:30 a.m. HB 1336, relative to employees’ firearms in locked vehicles. This bill prohibits employers from inquiring into, searching for, or banning employee's storage of firearms or ammunition in their locked vehicles and provides civil immunity to employers for any economic loss, injury, or death that results from an employer's adherence to this law. OPPOSE SUPPORT

11:00 a.m. HB 1337-FN, relative to the return of weapons and ammunition upon expiration of protective orders. This bill changes the burden to the plaintiff to file a request for a hearing prior to the expiration of a protective order or else any and all firearms, ammunition, or specified deadly weapons will be returned to the defendant. This bill further removes the prohibition that law enforcement agencies shall not release firearms, ammunition, or specified deadly weapons without a court order. OPPOSE SUPPORT

11:30 a.m. HB 1711-FN, authorizing the state to report the names of prohibited persons to the NICS firearms background check system for those adjudicated for involuntary mental health commitments, or not deemed competent to stand trial. The bill also establishes a process to restore firearms rights ("relief") post-commitment. SUPPORT Meh. I suppose they will report us all so OPPOSE.

12:00 p.m. HB 1701-FN, relative to annulments of records related to involuntary commitments (establishes an inadequate and harmful process) OPPOSE SUPPORT

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom