• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Hunter Shot By 10 Year Old Boy

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
AUBURN - A Manchester man was shot in the arm by a 10-year-old boy he was deer hunting with Saturday morning, then drove himself to a hospital for treatment.

According to a press release from the state Fish and Game Department, Mark Maniscalchi, 48, was wounded around 9:30 a.m. in a wooded area off Dearborn Road. The hunter was sitting in a ground blind with two young boys when the 10-year-old accidentally discharged a .22-caliber handgun. The bullet struck Maniscalchi in the forearm/elbow area, officials said.

Full Story >>> http://www.unionleader.com/article/20121103/NEWS07/121109710/0/20110810

Is it wise to give a 10 year old a handgun ???

Is it even legal to carry a handgun during muzzleloader season ???

When I was 10 I knew how to handle longarms and handguns safely and I also hunted with my dad and never had a problem.

As for carrying a handgun during muzzle loader season I don't believe it's a problem but I'm not 100% on that.

Is it wise to give a 10 year old a handgun ???

Almost sounds like you favor "reasonable restrictions" there and yes, one can.

As noted: depends on the person. My son has his own handgun and long arms & even though it's not required, his own gun safe since we've moved here.

At least I know he's safe in the house when nobody else is home.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think as to why one would bring a .22 on a DEER hunting trip.

Quite frankly I would be bringing DEER calibers, and my own carry gun. I can understand maybe wanting to bring a gun for the 10 year old, because he wants to feel important and involved, but a gun is a gun. In the wrong hands, ANY caliber can be deadly.

Almost sounds like you favor "reasonable restrictions" there and yes, one can.

Sure about that ???
I don't think so, according to this it's a no-no:

Muzzleloader Season

To hunt deer during the muzzleloader season, a person needs a Regular NH Hunting License, plus a Muzzleloader License. A muzzleloader is defined as a single barrel, single shot firearm (40 caliber or greater) that can only be loaded from the muzzle. Only one deer may be taken with a muzzleloader or firearm with the firearm tag. No person shall have in possession, while taking deer during the muzzleloader season, more than one muzzleloading rifle and one muzzleloading handgun. No separate muzzleloader tag is issued.

http://www.eregulations.com/newhampshire/hunting/deer-hunting/

I seriously doubt that .22 pistol was a muzzleloader, and even if it was, it's still not legal because it's under .40 caliber.

I'm trying to think as to why one would bring a .22 on a DEER hunting trip.

Quite frankly I would be bringing DEER calibers, and my own carry gun. I can understand maybe wanting to bring a gun for the 10 year old, because he wants to feel important and involved, but a gun is a gun. In the wrong hands, ANY caliber can be deadly.
Bambi?

I'm going to come to Zappa's defense (for the moment) on this one. He never mentioned making it illegal for a 10 year old to have a handgun. He questioned its wisdom.

I think its a parent's choice that must be made based on circumstances and the personality, experience, and maturity of the child. I've met 10 year olds I would trust with a handgun and I've met 40 year olds that I wouldn't trust with a pellet gun. In this instance, the father (and the son) are the ones who have paid the price for the father's judgement. It should end there.

I, like BigMike, wonder what good a 22 pistol is going to do for anyone on a deer hunting trip but I'm not a hunter so my $.02 doesn't really count for much there. While it seems like it is illegal to carry on a muzzle loading hunting trip. I'm not as concerned about that part.

So he was hunting deer with the .22, I didn't catch that in the article. They were deer hunting. I have taken my 12ga with bird shot with me deer hunting, does that mean I'm using it for the deer?

So he was hunting deer with the .22, I didn't catch that in the article. They were deer hunting. I have taken my 12ga with bird shot with me deer hunting, does that mean I'm using it for the deer?

Yes, please turn yourself over to the FUDD police.

Back
Top Bottom