NH Idiot Proposes Background Check for Knife Purchases

(Cross-posted at NLB)

Hold On To Your Hats and Buckle Your Seat Belts

You are about to read the most idiotic thing you'll read all week year.

OK, maybe it will end up being a tie between this story and yesterday's "tree butcher" nonsense. We'll have to wait for the judges' final decision on that.

The fact that this story is unfolding in New Hampshire has me on the edge of nausea.

HAMPTON, N.H. -- Town officials are considering making it harder to buy knives, Chinese throwing stars and other potential weapons from stores along Hampton Beach.

Chuck Rage, a commissioner with the Hampton Beach Village District, is proposing a warrant article that would require a background check to prevent felons from buying the items.

The weapons, which some store owners refer to as cutlery or martial arts equipment, have been sold by half a dozen stores at the beach for the last several years.

Store owners argued that most of their clients buy them as collector's items, but other residents complain that the items tarnish the beach's family friendly image.

As I commented on the WMUR site:

Finally, we will see an end to all the drive-by Chinese throwing star attacks that have been plaguing our fair state! A background check to buy a knife??? ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME? Move to Massachusetts if you want to live in a state that treats its citizens, no, scratch that, SUBJECTS like infantile wards of the state.

What kind of idiot thinks a law like that will prevent a violent felon from getting his hands on a sharp, bladed instrument?

I can go to Home Depot, buy some metal stock and a grinder and mass produce more deadly knives in a weekend than these stores will sell all summer. This is the most idiotic thing I've heard in a LOOOOONG time!

Realistically, I don't see this nutcake's proposal going anywhere, but it saddens me, nonetheless, that I have to share my breathing air with people like this.

This would make my side hobby/job VERY interesting. The day I need to start doing background checks before selling custom knives is the day I start making ornamental door knockers instead of blades.

I guess it's going to take awhile to register all my butter knives.

Please don't let New Hampshire turn into the Kingdom of Massachusetts. We've been reduced to living like serfs in Mass.

Putting aside the pure stupidity and gross civil rights violations such a law would entail, can you imagin the cost involved in setting something up like that?

there would be alot of pissed off chefs[wink]. im waiting for some jackass to suggest a background check on my fishing stuff because "theres evil sharp hooks with lazer cut points"

Last edited:
Any problem NH could ever have with felons carrying knives has already been solved by the lack of laws preventing law obiding citizens from carrying guns.

It's pretty clear that some sort of 'knife control' isn't really the objective of the city officials. It's getting rid of stores that "tarnish the beach's family friendly image." They are just using the FUD button to try to reach their actual, probably-not-legal goal.

Is this guy talking about regular knives, or those evil, black, assault knives?
Any way you slice it, a knife is a knife. Once they take a stab regulating one sharp instrument, it is just a matter of time before they cut in more definitions and descriptions. The Commissioner, Chuck Rage, certainly has got a lot of people out-Raged and rightfully so.

Best regards.

While I think any sort of weapons-related regulations like the ones being discussed here are inherently stupid, I must say that most of the Hampton Beach vendors should actually be charged with false advertising for calling some of the shit they sell "knives".

England was proposing at one point to have licensed knife dealers. No longer could you buy a 12" kitchen knife at the supermarket.

Their reasoning was that they were being used to commit sabbings.

Why???????

because england banned all guns and took them away. Without guns the criminals found cheap and easily accessible knives just as effective.

Ban the knives now. Next it will be pencils.

When will people realize that we need to ban the criminal, not their tools.

I've got a great idea! How about back ground checks when someone wants to buy a new car? Or what about back ground checks when someone wants to be high fat/cholesterol foods, perhaps if someone has a disposition to heart disease they should be banned from buying cigarettes, lobster, shrimp, crab, duck, fois grais(sp?)....

foie gras...you were close. +1 for effort.

This guy would probably pee himself if he saw the knives I use at work on a daily basis. All those evil Williams Sonoma's and Pampered Chef's need to be shut down!! But they are backed by the evil chef's lobbyist groups and the dishwashers and prep cooks who love helping criminals!

Here is a more complete article.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20081130-NEWS-811300363

Here is what is really troubling:

Rage said he discussed the issue with state Rep. Nancy Stiles, R-Hampton, who said it would be difficult to get something passed in the state Legislature regarding criminal background checks.

"A state law regarding criminal background checks has been repealed," Stiles said. "It would be difficult to put in a new one."

Stiles said she recommended that Rage work with the town to put forward a warrant article, since local laws can be stricter than state statues.

This is not true, and a state representative should know better. NH is not a home rule state. There is no general provision that towns can pass ordinances that are stricter than state laws. They can only do it if the specific law has a provision that allows it.

because england banned all guns and took them away. Without guns the criminals found cheap and easily accessible knives just as effective.

Ban the knives now. Next it will be pencils.

When will people realize that we need to ban the criminal, not their tools.

Yup. Economists have a name for this. It's called "the substitution effect".

Ban apples. People buy oranges.

Ban pencils. People buy pens.

Ban guns. People buy knives.

Meanwhile, I'm from MA and know what stores (there's only 2 if I recall) they are talking about... and all those things are already illegal for me to buy. I could still buy them, but then I'd be in big trouble if caught with them in MA.

They shouldn't worry too much about preserving the image of Hampton Beach. It already has an image of being a bit trashy with lots of hot chicks everywhere, and people like me who go there like it that way. If I wanted fancy boutiques (I can't believe I knew that word) and artist galleries, I'd go to Rockport or something.

I had all my trees removed so that no one could accuse me of having the building materials ready to manufacture pointed sticks. I'm safe.

Back
Top Bottom