• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nh muzzle loader oct 30th....almost here.

whacko

NES Member
Double checked the muzzle loader zeros at the club with my brother yesterday afternoon.

Then......
Put a crock pot if venison stew on this morning. With some crusty sour dough bread for dinner tonight. Down to a few packs in the freezer. The 30th can't come fast enough.

Anyone else ready?

20211018_055534.jpg

I’ll be out. Getting the gear organized. Already sighted guns. Hoping a lot of leaves continue to drop in the next 2 weeks.

Considering it this year, was going to do a PA muzzleloader hunt, but it got FUBAR from work. If I buy the NH rifle lisc, I'll probably get the muzzleloader tag.

I've been out bowhunting already, will be out most of the week, and seen some deer and passed a few does. So as far as excitement goes for it, its not high on the scale, but its something different and I can hunt on Sunday if I want.

Sat legal light where I'll be is 6:46am. I'll be sitting with my brother on a good spot I have picked out well before legal light. It'll be his second season hunting and he's still after his first deer. My priority is getting him a shot.

Was hoping to get my kids out for youth firearms weekend, but we wound up all having COVAIDS. Kids are disappointed, but they’ll just come with me during the regular season. No doe option besides the youth weekend in my WMU. Oh well.

Nothing today at all. Morning and afternoon sits. Will be out at sunup tomorrow with my boy. Hoping the fair weather gets em moving.

Nothing today at all. Morning and afternoon sits. Will be out at sunup tomorrow with my boy. Hoping the fair weather gets em moving.

Same. Nothing but wet today. A lot of leaves still hanging on in Southern NH.

I did see a lot of trucks parked considering the weather. Hoping someone got lucky.

Same. Nothing but wet today. A lot of leaves still hanging on in Southern NH.

I did see a lot of trucks parked considering the weather. Hoping someone got lucky.
I heard two shots a long way away at first legal light this morning. Hoping someone got something

Anyone having any luck in nh muzzle loader season? Last weekend I struck out and heading to one of my spots now. Saw 2 does in the road on my way here.....my son is up at college in Central NH and goes for hikes in the woods behind the school and saw a smallish buck chasing a doe yesterday afternoon so the rut is on it seams. I didn't hear any shots last weekend when I was in the woods and last year heard shots often. Maybe it was was slow start to the season? Hopefully for today I can fill a tag.

That rain last weekend sucked......I Cleaned and oiled the muzzle loader Sunday afternoon when I got home but saw a few dots of rust on my rifle and scope mount last night when I was packing up. Gave the externals another scrub and oil last night. Hubting guns take a beating but I treat them like tools......don't care what they look like as long as they are functional.

Anyone having any luck in nh muzzle loader season? Last weekend I struck out and heading to one of my spots now. Saw 2 does in the road on my way here.....my son is up at college in Central NH and goes for hikes in the woods behind the school and saw a smallish buck chasing a doe yesterday afternoon so the rut is on it seams. I didn't hear any shots last weekend when I was in the woods and last year heard shots often. Maybe it was was slow start to the season? Hopefully for today I can fill a tag.

That rain last weekend sucked......I Cleaned and oiled the muzzle loader Sunday afternoon when I got home but saw a few dots of rust on my rifle and scope mount last night when I was packing up. Gave the externals another scrub and oil last night. Hubting guns take a beating but I treat them like tools......don't care what they look like as long as they are functional.

We’ve had some luck. I tagged a small spiker Sunday morning after the rain started to dry up. My father got a doe Monday morning. Not a lot of sign/activity other than the two tags filled though.
My uncle has tagged 2 deer. So they seem to be moving in southern New Hampshire…
We’ve still got tags to be filled, so we’re back at it this weekend. Weather looks nice.

Attachments

• 24E9AD13-CF9E-4CE5-9408-388C754E7A8D.jpeg
    24E9AD13-CF9E-4CE5-9408-388C754E7A8D.jpeg
    873.6 KB · Views: 5
Another bust this morning. Heard deer behind me over a ridge for about 20 minutes had my hopes up but they didn't make it to me.

Got skunked all weekend. Nothing going….
some beautiful days in the wood though. We roll into regular firearms season Wed., be out with bells on.

Got skunked all weekend. Nothing going….
some beautiful days in the wood though. We roll into regular firearms season Wed., be out with bells on.
Same here.

I did pull the hammer back on a doe Sunday afternoon. Saw her way out about 75 yards between two trees.....then shed move a little and there was too much brush to see the shot placement....didn't feel confident in the shot and let off after about 5 minutes with my finger outside the trigger guard. Just didn't feel like it was a solid shot placement with the brush in the way. Oh well.

For the nay sayers.....75 yards is doable and she was visible....I have a scoped muzzle loader.

Sitting at camp in Pittsburg over coffee this am. Very quiet so far. To be fair not many up here in the woods so not much is moving. Haven't seen much deer sign between Perry and Indian. Decent moose sign. Last day today with the ML so heading out in a few minutes. Staying for the week so picking up the 99 tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

Keeping my boy out of school tomorrow for opening day. I'll let him stay home and bring my daughter on Thursday. They're both excited.

I'm debating whether to bother to carry a rifle, can't see the possibility of seeing two bucks while we're out - then again hope springs eternal.

Back
Top Bottom