NH Non-resident to resident

JAD

I am currently a Connecticut resident. One of the out of state licenses that I currently hold is a NH non-resident license. Depending on things, there is a possibility that I will be becoming a NH resident in the near future. If I become a NH resident, my assumption is that my non-resident license would become invalid and that I would need to get a resident license from whatever town I reside in to continue enjoying the privileges of licensure. My move would largely be centered around specific employment bringing me to NH. My hope is to stay in NH and have a successful career if I am offered and accept the job that I am anticipating, however, there is a possibility that things might not go well (e.g. get transferred to an out of state location, quit, get fired/RIF'ed, etc...). Any of those potential outcomes would likely result in me leaving NH due to the otherwise limited economic opportunities in my field. (If I were to quit or get fired/RIF'ed, the best long term solution would be to move back to property I own in Connecticut and try to seek employment there). If that were to happen within the validity period of my former non-resident P&R license, would my license again continue to be valid upon again becoming a non-resident, or would I need to apply for a new non-resident license at that point?

unless you are worried about reciprocity with the states that accept a Resident or Non Res NH permit, or you are carrying on an ATV, or some other minor technicality why all the concern?

NH is a constitutional carry state (for the moment) you need no permit

I am currently a Connecticut resident. One of the out of state licenses that I currently hold is a NH non-resident license. Depending on things, there is a possibility that I will be becoming a NH resident in the near future. If I become a NH resident, my assumption is that my non-resident license would become invalid and that I would need to get a resident license from whatever town I reside in to continue enjoying the privileges of licensure.
Can't find the rule offhand, but as I recall, the moment you gain residency, your NH non-resident P&R is invalidated.

If that were to happen within the validity period of my former non-resident P&R license, would my license again continue to be valid upon again becoming a non-resident, or would I need to apply for a new non-resident license at that point?
Technically that shouldn't work, but the reality is NHSP almost certainly does not scrub the non-resident P&R list against any sort of list of residents (like the DMV).

If I were in this hypothetical situation, what I would do is file the non-resident change of address form and pay NHSP the three bucks to get a new plastic card

unless you are worried about reciprocity with the states that accept a Resident or Non Res NH permit, or you are carrying on an ATV, or some other minor technicality why all the concern?

Carry on an OHRV, which includes snowmobile. It isn't just an ATV.

If this were to come to pass, I would suggest calling NH SP or Emailing them. The SP that do the licensing are great at giving direct answers to questions. I've done it a few times and it works.

I am currently a Connecticut resident. One of the out of state licenses that I currently hold is a NH non-resident license. Depending on things, there is a possibility that I will be becoming a NH resident in the near future. If I become a NH resident, my assumption is that my non-resident license would become invalid and that I would need to get a resident license from whatever town I reside in to continue enjoying the privileges of licensure. My move would largely be centered around specific employment bringing me to NH. My hope is to stay in NH and have a successful career if I am offered and accept the job that I am anticipating, however, there is a possibility that things might not go well (e.g. get transferred to an out of state location, quit, get fired/RIF'ed, etc...). Any of those potential outcomes would likely result in me leaving NH due to the otherwise limited economic opportunities in my field. (If I were to quit or get fired/RIF'ed, the best long term solution would be to move back to property I own in Connecticut and try to seek employment there). If that were to happen within the validity period of my former non-resident P&R license, would my license again continue to be valid upon again becoming a non-resident, or would I need to apply for a new non-resident license at that point?
The deal here is where you reside - driver's license would be a good example you have I believe up to 60days to do so.

That no carrying on an OHRV is some of the most annoying nonsensical BS ever.
I'm sure the fish cops will put some lame spin about you could be hunting from a vehicle, but give me a break.
This make riding an ATV a 3 step process before you even start it.
1. OHRV class
2. Register the ATV
3. conceal carry permit--in a constitutional carry state.

lame

That no carrying on an OHRV is some of the most annoying nonsensical BS ever.
I'm sure the fish cops will put some lame spin about you could be hunting from a vehicle, but give me a break.
This make riding an ATV a 3 step process before you even start it.
1. OHRV class
2. Register the ATV
3. conceal carry permit--in a constitutional carry state.

lame

An adult doesn't need an OHRV class, if they have a valid drivers license.

The permit also lets you buy pistols via private sale with people you don't know rather than having to use an FFL. I don't think most people would consider that a "minor technicality."

The permit also lets you buy pistols via private sale with people you don't know rather than having to use an FFL. I don't think most people would consider that a "minor technicality."

You can sell pistols FTF all day long no permit required.

You can sell pistols FTF all day long no permit required.
159:14 Exemption. – None of the provisions of this chapter shall prohibit an individual not licensed under the provisions thereof who is not engaged in the business of selling pistols or revolvers from selling a pistol or revolver to a person licensed under this chapter or to a person personally known to him.

Not enough time for me to dig into it right now, but it's come up in multiple threads before.

Honestly it's not that big of a deal. The wait is about a day or so. He'd still get a gun from a dealer faster than he would
from getting a P&R and doing a private. Not to mention he's going to get a lot better selection than the crap on armslist.

Under NH RSA a private handgun sale can only happen with:

"someone personally known to you" or otherwise, with someone unknown, they are a P&R license holder.

So like the way the law is set up, you could easily sell a handgun to your brother, or a close friend or someone, no problem.... but some rando, according to the law, that person should have a
P&R license.

-Mike

I'm not aware of it being enforced, but it's fairly well-known. People on here have discussed various ways they meet the "personally known" mark.

In addition to getting the license so you can do FTF pistol sales, it's also required if one intends to pursue a MA non-resident LTC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom