• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Resident Flying Logan

Anyone have experience with this? I do not have a non resident LTC and may be flying out west with a few guns next month. I have never been asked for a LTC when I was a Mass Resident at Logan and understand I am covered by FOPA, but don't want the hassle if it becomes one. (Ive heard the NYC and NJ horror stories).

Anyone who has done this without issue feel free to chime in.

I routinely fly out of MA with a gun, and also have never been asked for LTC, but with a NH license I would be hesitant. Checking in with a MA license they likely assume you are good to go.

It is probably a bad idea. Can you fly out of Manchester? Or are the flight choices insufficient?

A lot easier than you think. As long as you arrive everything in your checked bag in a locked safe no problem whatsoever

Try to fly in and out of MHT (Manchester NH) 45 miles out of Boston, less traffic, and probably less stress of being detained..... Just my opinion, and nothing more... Have you applied/ gotten your Utah Permit? Might be a huge asset for you, should you be traveling through States who have Reciprocity with your Home State, or other States....

I flew out of Logan to Florida. I had a MA LTC, but they didn't ask for it at JetBlue. I just said that I had a firearm to declare. Brought it there in my suitcase in it's little lockbox inside the suitcase. I can't remember if the baggage lady had me open it to see if it was unloaded, or just fill out the card. However, as mentioned, I did have the LTC so if anything happened I would have been OK there.

If you are thinking about flying out of Manchester, just keep in mind that if there is a delay caused by mechanical failure, the airlines will likely quickly offer to send you to Logan on a taxi at their expense and put you on a direct flight to wherever you are going. It just happened to me on Monday and I took the offer because I absolutely had to get out to Minnesota for work. Obviously I wasn't bringing any firearms so it wasn't even a concern. I'd be very hesitant to enter MA with a firearm now that I am a NH resident.

What's the issue if you have a non-res MA LTC? If the guns and mags are all legal to posses in MA and you follow airline policies, I'm not sure what the difference is vs a MA resident flying?

I fly out of Logan with firearms every time I fly. You will NEVER be asked for an LTC. Just ask for a firearms declaration card for your checked bag. The only time I was ever asked for "credentials" was from a manager who thought I was actually going to be carrying on the flight - this was cleared up immediately when I said, "Credentials? I'm just checking it." And I still didn't need to show anything.

Logan is not an NYC or NJ airport. I've had much better experiences at Logan than I have had in some free states. Pack it right, know the TSA and airline policies, and you'll be fine.

I do not have a MA LTC. As long as you are checking firearms and they are properly locked and unloaded in a hard case there is no issue.

The people at the check in counter typically know nothing about firearms other than how to give you a tag to fill out and place in your luggage.

Don't leave it in your carry on. You'll be arrested immediately. But on the up side you'll be booked, arraigned and released ROR in such a short time you can catch the next flight. Also, hysterically you won't be flagged for additional screening.

I don’t have a MA ltc and I’ve done it. And I had 15 round mags in the case as well as a tubular device meant for protecting my ears. Flew on JetBlue to Texas, no problems at all.

About the only thing I wouldn't do is attempt to bring cased guns into central parking, sometimes there is a vehicle search BS thing there. That could cause "uncomfortable delays". Just park at preflight or one of the other park n fly services, if you're driving to the airport, it's far less rapey anyways.

-Mike

Counter , check in, show license, indicate your bag is the special kind, rep asks you to open and asks if they are unloaded etc. tosses a card and you lock it up. Never had any issue at any airport coming or going however I never fly in or out of NY NJ or CT or CA.

It's fine. I've flown literally hundreds of times from logan checking firearms.

This.

It is really a non-event.

Print out the TSA rules and the rules for the airline you are traveling on and follow them. I put a chamber flag in the firearm to make it easy if the Airline representative wants to verify it is unloaded.

The biggest PITA is waiting in line to check your bag at the counter.

Bob

Counter , check in, show license, indicate your bag is the special kind, rep asks you to open and asks if they are unloaded etc. tosses a card and you lock it up. Never had any issue at any airport coming or going however I never fly in or out of NY NJ or CT or CA.
We used to fly out off / into Bradley in CT. No issues there, either.

Back
Top Bottom