NH resident selling to MA resident

Many of us have jobs that are somewhat based on some law/regulation mandating something. So someone has to fill that need, whether it is QC in a manufacturing plant, processing/approving human medical research studies (which my Wife does for a hospital conglomerate) that meet FDA requirements or a gun dealer processing a transaction.

I got into shooting in the mid-1970s and the laws wrt interstate transfer of guns was firmly entrenched (actually much worse than today) with FFLs being required. I've never researched the back-story on when this all took place (might have been with GCA 1968 after all the assassinations or perhaps even earlier, don't know).

Many dealers indeed make significant money due to this. On the other hand there are some dealers who will refuse to do interstate transactions either due to greed (buy it from me) or ignorance (tons of that in every gun shop) . . . no excuse for this as BATFE sends every FFL a book on all states/cities gun laws that impact sales (only, doesn't cover other aspects of gun ownership). I'll bet not 1 in 10 dealers ever opens up the book at all (or runs the CD).

Realizing in Free America a DL is all the ID you need for a FTF in-state transaction and that is NO PROOF at all that the person isn't a PP, I don't understand the logic of someone being trusted merely since they reside in the same state vs. someone in a different state. A partial resolve that could be a reasonable compromise (IMNSHO) should be showing a valid LTC/CCW from any state to prove non-PP status for FTF between residents of different states, but I never expect to see this happen. Hell we can't get handgun transfers from an FFL in a different state made legal! Now that everything is computerized a NICS check in your state or in another state will have the same exact results, so there is no public safety issues really.

And the bolded part you wrote is what got me on this topic to begin with. I bought the bolt action rifle from a guy I've known for years and went to war with (seriously).........but that state line between our houses only a few miles apart forced me to go to a gun shop to have him sell me that rifle "legally". But two complete strangers that have never met can make that same transaction if their drivers license happens to have the same state on them. Guess I should just let it go.......I'm thinking too much to try to understand Fed reg from the ATF.

And the bolded part you wrote is what got me on this topic to begin with. I bought the bolt action rifle from a guy I've known for years and went to war with (seriously).........but that state line between our houses only a few miles apart forced me to go to a gun shop to have him sell me that rifle "legally". But two complete strangers that have never met can make that same transaction if their drivers license happens to have the same state on them. Guess I should just let it go.......I'm thinking too much to try to understand Fed reg from the ATF.

Rule #1- 99% of gun laws violate most tenets of logic and reason- asking "why" is a recipe for a migraine.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college." This is easier to understand than most gun laws.

-Mike

Do you have a MA non-res LTC? If not, you're going to have to mail it to a MA shop or have a MA LTC holder with you when you bring it into the state to be legal.]

Then you'll need to find a MA FFL willing to transfer a Gen 4, unless you know the "other route" which no one is going to post here.

So you'll either need to mail it yourself or via an FFL to a MA FFL, or travel into MA with a MA LTC holder (inc. non-res).
He can't mail it himself as a handgun, he could only mail it if its the frame. Otherwise it has to go priority overnight Fedex or priority overnight UPS to the FFL. Only an FFL can mail a handgun.

He can't mail it himself as a handgun, he could only mail it if its the frame. Otherwise it has to go priority overnight Fedex or priority overnight UPS to the FFL. Only an FFL can mail a handgun.
Better read the USPO rules. I don't think that you can Mail a frame either. If I am correct that would be Federal felony, nothing to poo poo.

@Len-2A Training

if buyer finds an FFL willing to transfer, buyer could drive to NH, take possession of weapon, bring to FFL with seller, and do the transfer, omitting NH FFL?
edit- i see this option has already been posted by Daekken

This is legal but a total pain in the ballbag "do not reccommend" lmao

Good clarification, I meant "mail" in the sense of "ship" rather than USPS--that was sloppy.

Might've been just my upbringing but we used "mail [xyz]" as a synecdoche for shipping something.

Better read the USPO rules. I don't think that you can Mail a frame either. If I am correct that would be Federal felony, nothing to poo poo.

I didn't see anything about a frame in the section I was looking at, it was talking about handguns specifically. But yes would be nice to know for sure! Its one thing to screw up with UPS or Fedex but quite another (in a felonious way) to screw up with USPS.

Good clarification, I meant "mail" in the sense of "ship" rather than USPS--that was sloppy.

Might've been just my upbringing but we used "mail [xyz]" as a synecdoche for shipping something.

Yeah I knew what you meant but thought it best to clarify for the OP and others.

and "Ship" does not mean your local UPS Store.... the shipping of a handgun by a non FFL is an exercise in jumping thru hoops

And that it is a topic for another day although we have covered it before... anyone wanting to drink from the NES cup of knowledge can use the forum search function

The easiest thing to do is this.
Get full payment from the buyer.
Mail him the complete slide, mags (10 round or less) and any other accessories or parts.

If you decide to drive to MA, there is little risk because MA law doesn't consider a frame to be a firearm. So drive to a dealer and have them transfer the firearm.

If you decide to ship, then just send the frame to the transferring dealer in MA. You can not ship USPS.
There are several FFLs at the Mill in Littleton who will do the transfer.

The transfer of a Glock frame by a dealer is 100% legal in MA because again MA does not consider a frame to be a firearm. The dealer will complete a federal form 4473 and run a NICS check. The buyer will bring the frame home, install the slide on it and will then need to eFA10 the firearm.

The transfer of a Glock frame by a dealer is 100% legal in MA because again MA does not consider a frame to be a firearm. The dealer will complete a federal form 4473 and run a NICS check. The buyer will bring the frame home, install the slide on it and will then need to eFA10 the firearm.
yes by law, that is true, but in practice, not every MA ffl will do it

Back
Top Bottom