• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH trapping season is getting close

Who is trapping what this season? Fur market is pretty trash, so it's a toss up between trapping anyway and hoping it improves (which doesn't seem likely); skipping the season (boo); or light trapping for predator control. I'm thinking I'll go with option 3, focus on coyote, and see what I can do with pelts locally or myself.

The last auction was terrible coyotes were the only thing that moved and eastern coyotes went mainly unsold. This could all change but it's pretty bad. Better off tanning and making garments and selling on your own. People who don't trap at all just cause of a down market need to remember there's so much more to trapping. Just keeping populations healthy for one and being a steward of the land. Take a kid trapping have some fun. Make some garments for yourself and wear them out and about. Great conversation starter and a good opener to teach people about utilizing a green renewable resource.

The last auction was terrible coyotes were the only thing that moved and eastern coyotes went mainly unsold. This could all change but it's pretty bad. Better off tanning and making garments and selling on your own. People who don't trap at all just cause of a down market need to remember there's so much more to trapping. Just keeping populations healthy for one and being a steward of the land. Take a kid trapping have some fun. Make some garments for yourself and wear them out and about. Great conversation starter and a good opener to teach people about utilizing a green renewable resource.

That's pretty much why I'm still going to run a small line this year. I want to keep my kids involved. I've also never made garments for myself, so that will be an interesting challenge.

Back
Top Bottom